PDA

View Full Version : Casing picker-upper

sirgknight
01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
There's a tool made for picking up pecans that is called a weasel. It's a round cage that rolls at the end of a stick-handle. Have any of you used this tool, or one that is similar, for picking up brass off of the ground? The arthritis in my back gives me fits after bending over to pick up 2 or 3 hundreds casings, and I was thinking that a weasel might work for gathering brass. The only problem might be the very small casings like 9mm and .380. Anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

Zymurgy50
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
How about one of the little broom & dustpan combos where the dustpan has a long handle? Sweep the brass into the dustpan and no bending.

C.F.Plinker
01-28-2014, 03:00 PM
I like the weasel for picking up brass off the ground outdoors. The one Dillon sells works well on 45 ACP but not quite as good on .40 and 9mm. As far as rifle brass is concerned it works good on .223 through 30-06 but it helps if you get the wires lined up with the brass. The useful capacity is about 10 or 12. If you don't empty it by then it will lose one or two for every one it picks up.

Indoors, I found that I didn't have good results just rolling over the brass as I did outdoors. It worked OK if I lined the wires up with the brass and just set the weasel down on it. For indoors I use either the reach extenders with the suction cup ends or a fishing net mounted on a vertical piece of PVC pipe that catches most of the brass from the pistol.

If you need to pick up several hundred at a time a push broom and snow shovel work well. We use these for cleanup at the range after a match.

sirgknight
01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
How about one of the little broom & dustpan combos where the dustpan has a long handle? Sweep the brass into the dustpan and no bending.

this is definitely one option.....

John Allen
01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
I have one it is ok. I do use it and it works but usually end up just picking them up. Our range has pull out nets mounted to pvc to catch the flying brass. It works really well.

EDG
01-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Have you ever used a cane to take some of the load of your back when bending?
Just transfer your upper body weight to the cane and your back does not have to exert itself nearly as much.

Moonman
01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Beat PICKER UPPER just may be called "WIFE".

deadarrow
01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
I have one and I use it all the time. Works good inside or out. You will get some falling out but it beats bending over.

DeanoBeanCounter
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I use one of those reaching claw things that mechanics use to pick up tools that they drop. I only have to bend over a little bit. There might be longer ones someplace. Just visit a auto parts store.
Dean

DRNurse1
01-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Beat PICKER UPPER just may be called "WIFE".

Taught the kids that brass ca be recycled. Now it is hard to find 22LR brass on the outdoor points after they shoot. Now I have to convince them to shoot when I want to (more often than they want to right now).

acguy45
01-28-2014, 09:24 PM

+1 for the broom and dustpan if I'm shooting on concrete. If I'm shooting on gravel/grass or whatever I throw down a poncho or a mosquito net. Lord knows they're not good for stopping bugs but they work for something. when you done you just got to bend 4 times to roll the corners.

mold maker
01-28-2014, 09:27 PM
There is an extended (double hinge) pair of needle nosed pliers available. While their only about 16" long, its the last foot of bending that gets your back. The pliers work exceptionally well on the berm surface. With little practice they become an extension of your hand.
While the pliers are a little pricey, your back will thank you. Don't confuse them with the single hinge type, that will kill your hand.

Binderrod
01-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Go to the Midway web page and do a search for (ammo picker). It's a nut picker that picks from .32 to most rifle casings. It is high quality with a telescoping Handel and an attachment that fits a 5 gallon bucket to empty the roller. I bought one because of my bad knees and bending over. It cost 47 bucks without shipping. Living 30 min away from Midway has perks.

You can also get the super small that will pick up 22lr casings

acguy45
01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
good stuff

LUBEDUDE
01-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I use one of those reaching claw things that mechanics use to pick up tools that they drop. I only have to bend over a little bit. There might be longer ones someplace. Just visit a auto parts store.
Dean

Same or similar to the "Gopher" or copies found at Pharmicies and WalMart for 10 bucks or less.

tomme boy
01-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Look up Brass Wizard.

jm423
01-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Pecan picker-upper works for me, but our range is gravel. But I can sort hulls from gravel sitting down. Life past 70 is generally good!

sirgknight
01-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Go to the Midway web page and do a search for (ammo picker). It's a nut picker that picks from .32 to most rifle casings. It is high quality with a telescoping Handel and an attachment that fits a 5 gallon bucket to empty the roller. I bought one because of my bad knees and bending over. It cost 47 bucks without shipping. Living 30 min away from Midway has perks.

You can also get the super small that will pick up 22lr casings

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Hopefully it will make brass gathering more enjoyable now. Thank you, and everyone else for your input on this thread.

Binderrod
01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Glad I could help

bobthenailer
01-29-2014, 09:23 AM
I bought one from unique tech prouducts a few years ago and i am very satisfied !
"TIP" get the Extendable Handle not the fixed handle

sirgknight
02-05-2014, 02:09 PM
I decided to order this from my neighboring state and glad I did. Great product, fast shipping and great customer service. This tool is fantastic. It picks up .380 brass as easily as the others and it comes with the bucket wire to easily dump the brass.

http://blackwalnutcracker.com/Item/Extra-Small-Nut-Wizard

Airman Basic
02-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Now if ya'll could help me find the sneaky brasses so I can pick them up.

jmorris
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I have had a nut wizard for 5 or 6 years, not the fastest way but it is small and handy.

The bag a nut is much faster and holds a lot more.

Then there is my brass vacuume that I built after a state match to suck up all the brass out of the cracks that the other methods left behind.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?87023-Brass-Vac&highlight=Brass+vac

W.R.Buchanan
02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I've had a Nut Wizard for 5-6 years too and it works well enough for me to use at my local IDPA shoots. It certainly beats bending over to pick up cases.

The negatives have already been covered but I find that emptying frequently is the key to success. That and going after specific cases rather than just sweeping and area with the thing. fi you go for individual cases you will pick up less rocks and other debris .

It was certainly worth $50.

Randy

sirgknight
02-06-2014, 11:31 PM
I got mine in the mail yesterday and it works flawlessly. A friend of mine gave me a huge billboard tarp that I spread on the ground in front of my targets. When all of the firing is completed I simply roll the ammo wizard over the tarp and collect all the brass. It's as neat as ever....and absolutely no bending over. By using the tarp I eliminate any grass sprigs, rocks, pine cone needles, etc, etc. I am amazed at how easy it picks up the small .380 brass. The "extra small size" nut wizard is definitely needed for the smaller brass, but it also picks up all the other sizes including 30.06.

Ubet
02-12-2014, 12:19 AM
We use them at the range for work when we have to qualify. It's so simple I wish we would have had them years ago. Now the range staff doesn't mind if someone doesn't pick up their brass as they can make short work of all of it at the end.