PDA

View Full Version : 410 Magtech brass reloading project

danyboy
01-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Been reloading rifle and revolvers before but I am new to brass shotgun shells reloading. Just bought Magtech brass for 410 shotgun and casted .401" 175 gr. bullets. Bore is choked and slugs at .397" at the muzzle. Will paper patch up to needed diameter for proper fit in brass case which is arount .430". Ordered Lane brass shotgun shell reloading tool but have no idea what caliber seating die would be the closest to use for my job.
Question: anybody ever loaded cast bullets in a 410 brass case and, if so, what bullet seating system did you use ?

mr_nice_guy228
01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I haven't yet but 444 brass fits in my Rossi.
I wouldn't recommend trying to patch it up to crimp it. Just do primer, powder, overpowder wad, slug, and a thin overshot card. The math doesn't add up trying to shove a .430 bullet through a .397 choke, It might swage down, or it might give you a dangerous overpressure situation. If you want more of a snug fit I did drop an as cast 175gr TC slug in a Remington plastic hull and it hardly moves. Slug is about .404 and my "mod choke" measures .404-.406
If you absolutely need a load in the magtech brass, I would say a roundball would be a better bet. Perhaps see how much pressure you need to swage a .430 RB through your choke with a brass rod, or any other rod of your choice. Compare it to trying to swage a patched up slug through your choke, and a bare .401
My bet is the round ball will go a lot better, and still give you 120gr if cast from pure lead.
Stay safe,
Chris

M Hicks
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
This may not help much, if at all but I have used 444 Marlin brass to make 410 shells.

If they needed any sizing at all I used a 44 Mag sizing die and ran the shell into it far enough to get it to chamber easily. I used regular LR primers and weighed out the powder charges. For seating the shot cup I used the eraser end of a pencil and calibrated hand to apply equal pressure to each one.

I used 410 load data and weighed shot charges. I found that right up to the top of the shot cup worked well and sped things up. To hold the whole mess in place I used a 7/16" gasket cutter to cut cards out of thick manila type folders and glued them in place with Duco cement.

In a round about way to try and answer your question, I think you might need to seat them by hand or use a die slightly larger in diameter than the shell is. I would think a 45 seater would work but you probably wouldn't be able to run the ram all the way up.

danyboy
01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=mr_nice_guy228;2601104]I haven't yet but 444 brass fits in my Rossi.
I wouldn't recommend trying to patch it up to crimp it. Just do primer, powder, overpowder wad, slug, and a thin overshot card. The math doesn't add up trying to shove a .430 bullet through a .397 choke, It might swage down, or it might give you a dangerous overpressure situation.
If you read me again, I never intended to fit a .430" cast bullet in a .397" full choke; I wouldn't do that. I meant patching up from .401" (which is .003" above muzzle diameter) to around .430" with a paper patch to make it fit in the Magtech case. The bullet would eventyally compress the paper (not the lead) to exit the .401" muzzle. I doubt the paper would bump up pressure to a dangerous level as a .430" lead bullet would. I may be wrong and tell me if so. I was just looking for an idea as to what size seating die I could use in an RCBS press to seat this bullet.
I took a remington 410 rifled slug shotshell apart. The slug was exactely .397", no shot cup, a cardboard wad on the powder and some white filler grains all the way up to the slug. Plastic was twisted back in to probably create some pressure on the slug. This .397" slug would be too loose for a 410 magtech brass which is much thinner than the plastic one.

danyboy
01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
This may not help much, if at all but I have used 444 Marlin brass to make 410 shells.

If they needed any sizing at all I used a 44 Mag sizing die and ran the shell into it far enough to get it to chamber easily. I used regular LR primers and weighed out the powder charges. For seating the shot cup I used the eraser end of a pencil and calibrated hand to apply equal pressure to each one.

I used 410 load data and weighed shot charges. I found that right up to the top of the shot cup worked well and sped things up. To hold the whole mess in place I used a 7/16" gasket cutter to cut cards out of thick manila type folders and glued them in place with Duco cement.

In a round about way to try and answer your question, I think you might need to seat them by hand or use a die slightly larger in diameter than the shell is. I would think a 45 seater would work but you probably wouldn't be able to run the ram all the way up.
I didn't even plan on using any shotcup, I would just load them as if I were loading a Mauser 43 or 45-70 with smokeless powder, with a filler on top of the powder like coton puff and seat the bullet on top. As you mention, I will probably use my colt 45 seating die. I hadn't tought of it .
Thanks

429421Cowboy
01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I have never loaded .410 shells, so maybe I shouldn't stick my nose in this, but shotgun loading and rifle loading are totally different things.

The margin for safety/error in shotguns is very low, and I like to stick with things that have been done before. A little paper work and theory, with the proper extrapolation can give you a safe load in a rifle with a working pressure of 60k Psi, but you don't have that safety net with a shotgun that runs at something like 10k.

I'll not mess with the smoothbores too much, and keep my fingers and toes.

danyboy
01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
I have never loaded .410 shells, so maybe I shouldn't stick my nose in this, but shotgun loading and rifle loading are totally different things.

The margin for safety/error in shotguns is very low, and I like to stick with things that have been done before. A little paper work and theory, with the proper extrapolation can give you a safe load in a rifle with a working pressure of 60k Psi, but you don't have that safety net with a shotgun that runs at something like 10k.

I'll not mess with the smoothbores too much, and keep my fingers and toes.

I see, I hear you. Makes sens. Thanks

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
danyboy: I'm going to pile on here. there is a lot of difference between loading for shotguns and rifles.

Here's a tidbit that should alarm you. A factory rifled slug for a .410 weighs 95 gr! Your boolits are 175 gr.

Without a wad there is nothing to seal the powder charge, you will get massive blowby. If you put the boolit in the wad you will get overpressure.

Your bullet is going to be a pretty loose fit in the barrel and as a result will not have any accuracy whatsoever.

This is not a good idea.

A more prudent Idea would be to load the Brass shells as you would regular shot shells, with buckshot. There is lots of loading data for a load like that.

Randy

oneokie
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
You should do a non-destructive test on the compression of paper before you fire any of your loads.

danyboy
01-28-2014, 10:40 PM
You should do a non-destructive test on the compression of paper before you fire any of your loads.
Non-destructive test ? You mean remotely (after bracing the gun) pull the trigger let's say with a string ?

mr_nice_guy228
01-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I think he means, try to compress some paper with a tool of your choice so you will realize it does not compress very much nor easily. Hydraulic press, flat pieces of metal, and about 20 sheets of paper should give you a good idea. Measure before and after.
What you are going to be doing is creating an overpressure situation in the chamber area that exceeds the limitations of the firearm in question. If your life is valuable to you I would recommend loading it in the Remington slugs, or doing the Primer, Powder, overpowder seal, Slug, thin overshot card, or just using buckshot in the Magtech cases. Your other option is to pick up a TC Contender or Encore rifle barrel in 44 Mag and chamber it for 410, as a 44-410 overbore barrel, if you want to safely shoot slugs patched up to .430

I HIGHLY recommend not loading like you want to load them. Sure they'll look pretty, but chances are you won't after you pull the trigger.

oneokie
01-28-2014, 11:51 PM
Non-destructive test ? You mean remotely (after bracing the gun) pull the trigger let's say with a string ?

Would you please tell us where you are planning on doing the firing of this abomanation so that we can stay far, far away?

kenyerian
01-29-2014, 12:41 AM
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Thug-Slug-410-8-gram-25_pak/productinfo/1264100/ Give ballisticproducts a call. They might be able to help you. Also CH4D have a set of dies listed for the 410 brass shotshell. I do load 410 shotshells but I haven't tried the brass ones or to load any of the slugs. I have a contender barrell that will shot 45 colt or 410 shotshells. Shotgun barrels are not made to swage down solid slugs and it is very easy to bulge your berrel. However a pistol barrel that will shoot 45 colt or 410 is a different story .http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?page=62

leeggen
01-29-2014, 02:04 AM
http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html

This sight has good info on the 410 reloading.
CD

danyboy
01-29-2014, 09:46 AM
I think he means, try to compress some paper with a tool of your choice so you will realize it does not compress very much nor easily. Hydraulic press, flat pieces of metal, and about 20 sheets of paper should give you a good idea. Measure before and after.
What you are going to be doing is creating an overpressure situation in the chamber area that exceeds the limitations of the firearm in question. If your life is valuable to you I would recommend loading it in the Remington slugs, or doing the Primer, Powder, overpowder seal, Slug, thin overshot card, or just using buckshot in the Magtech cases. Your other option is to pick up a TC Contender or Encore rifle barrel in 44 Mag and chamber it for 410, as a 44-410 overbore barrel, if you want to safely shoot slugs patched up to .430

I HIGHLY recommend not loading like you want to load them. Sure they'll look pretty, but chances are you won't after you pull the trigger.

Did the test. Tried compressing the paper patch on the bullet using a hose clamp and tightening it with a rachet . Ony managed to squeeze about .003" of it. I originally figured the patch would tear apart behing the bllet before exiting the muzzle cause when I look down the barrel, I clearly see 2 diameter decreases, probably from cylinder to modified and from modified to full choke. So I thought the patch would come apart before reaching the muzzle. I won't use this .401 patched up to .430.

danyboy
01-31-2014, 10:11 AM
OK. Instead of patching up to .430", .410 bullet fits perfect in a Federal 410SC shotcup which fits tight in this Magtech case. So, powder, over powder 7/16" card wad, shotcup filled with cream of wheat with bullet inserted at the upper end of it (would act as a sabot) . Quite sure bullet would exit the muzzle ahead of the shotcup and pressure wouldn't be as high as if I had used a patched up .430" bullet. Makes any sens ?

kenyerian
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I don't think it is a good idea.. Please look at the picture of the thug slug sold by Ballistic Products very carefully. The .410 slug is ribbed so there is room for the slug to swage down with out bulging your barrel making it safe to shoot in a barrel that is choked. Test your barrel by seeing if you can push the wad with the slug you want to try into the barrel. The wad will stay with the bullet until it leaves the barrel and if your choke is to tight you risk ruining your barrel.

PS. This proposed combination would work with an open bore barrel and maybe an improved cylinder. Probably work in the Judge and pistols like that.

danyboy
01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't think it is a good idea.. Please look at the picture of the thug slug sold by Ballistic Products very carefully. The .410 slug is ribbed so there is room for the slug to swage down with out bulging your barrel making it safe to shoot in a barrel that is choked. Test your barrel by seeing if you can push the wad with the slug you want to try into the barrel. The wad will stay with the bullet until it leaves the barrel and if your choke is to tight you risk ruining your barrel.

PS. This proposed combination would work with an open bore barrel and maybe an improved cylinder. Probably work in the Judge and pistols like that.

All wright. Looked at this thug slug from Ballistic products. By the time it gets here, it would cost me
$1.00/each. Will keep looking at other options like making up some hollow slug mold or a .401" home made round ball mold or simply give up the idea of shooting slugs with this shotgun. At 6-7 bucks for a pack of 5 slugs, shoting slugs wouldn't make much sens to me.Thanks for the advice.

kenyerian
01-31-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A Here is an interesting video on you tube making homemade slugs using a 12 point socket as a mold. With the right size socket you might be able to make your own slug with ribs that will swage down.. You could also use a round ball with some modified wads or some cut out of cardboard. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=round%20ball%20molds Track of the wolf has molds listed that might work. They also list a Lee Bullet Mold .375" diameter, 130 grain boolit that might make a good fit with the Federal Shotcup. I've thought about trying that one myself.

danyboy
01-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Cut 2 inches off barrel. Bore now slugs at .412 from chamber to muzzle. Will Have to use plastic shells, Magtec brass are a PITA to reload slugs. Neck id is .433 and bore slugs at .412. Magtech people smoke good weed ! Case thickness shoud be much thicker to match plastic shells and so wads and shotcups would fit. These brass should have never been on the market. Sorry I bought these Magtech shotgun brass. My advice to all interested in buying them: don't.

danyboy
02-01-2014, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A Here is an interesting video on you tube making homemade slugs using a 12 point socket as a mold. With the right size socket you might be able to make your own slug with ribs that will swage down.. You could also use a round ball with some modified wads or some cut out of cardboard. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=round%20ball%20molds Track of the wolf has molds listed that might work. They also list a Lee Bullet Mold .375" diameter, 130 grain boolit that might make a good fit with the Federal Shotcup. I've thought about trying that one myself.
Kenyerian,
Thanks for the tips. A .375" round ball might just do it. Federal cup is .020" thick (.375 +40=.415") and a tinny compression would bring it to .412".
Went to the range this morning and tried out my .401" patched to .412"-.415" with 12gr. SR4759, 410SC Federal wad over the powder, cream of wheat up to bullet. Hardly any recoil, no real sign of over pressure. About 4" group at 50 yards. Going back tomorrow morning. Would probably be best If I could roll crimp the shells but I am not there yet. Will take a look at casting some other slugs with sockets like you mentioned.
Thanks

kenyerian
02-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I've been wanting to try to load some 410 slugs for the grandkids but I just haven't got around to it yet. 4" group sounds pretty good.

02-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Only use my brass 410 for black powder shot loads. If they get tight to chamber I run the first 1/4" into a 308 die to size the mouth and they normally chamber easly for the next 3 or 4 loads.
Not a fan of trying to swage down projectiles through a choke, I did play with loading 38 hbwc inside normal shot cups in plastic hulls but couldn't get them to group.
My favorite load for anything bigger using the 410 is 5 00/SG in a 3" plastic. 6-8" patterns at 25 yards I my gun.

bhn22
02-01-2014, 08:32 PM
I am watching this thread in abject, utter horror. There are very good reasons that shotgun slugs are either hollow, or are undersized and loaded in cups. A .410 shotgun barrel is designed for 12,500 psi loads. That's considerably lower than even 38 Spl wadcutter target loads.

btroj
02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Yikes. Scaring me here with fly by the seat of your pants shotgun loading. Please let us know where and when you decide to test fire, I want to make sure I'm not nearby.

danyboy
02-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I am watching this thread in abject, utter horror. There are very good reasons that shotgun slugs are either hollow, or are undersized and loaded in cups. A .410 shotgun barrel is designed for 12,500 psi loads. That's considerably lower than even 38 Spl wadcutter target loads.
Who talked about using 38spl target loads ???. Just got back from the range, and those .401" 175gr. patched up to .412" work great no overpressure signs, blowby. Will try and find some .375" round ball mold .
Following related threads where DixieSlugs expert relates serious studies about slug shooting in shotguns where pressure was tested on slugs -vs- lead shots. My barrel is still in one piece and so am I.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?36851-Rifled-Choke-and-Round-Ball&p=403640#post403640
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22923-Shotgun-Slugs&p=278728#post278728
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22923-Shotgun-Slugs&p=278665#post278665
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?23447-Full-Bore-Slugs&p=265637
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?23447-Full-Bore-Slugs&p=265270#post265270

btroj
02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
He was referencing how low the pressure in a shotgun load is and used a target load in 38 Special as an example of how low it is.

Not sure how much more clear he could have made it. He is concerned with safety.

danyboy
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM
He was referencing how low the pressure in a shotgun load is and used a target load in 38 Special as an example of how low it is.

Not sure how much more clear he could have made it. He is concerned with safety.

No, he used 38 cal Hollow point wad cutters bullets in plastic shotcups. He didn't used 38 loads, just 38 bullets. Loads weren't copied from 38spl. Just used the bullets.

bhn22
02-02-2014, 04:05 PM
No. I was hoping to remind you how low the pressures have to kept for shotguns, regardless of the projectile. 38 Spl wadcutter loads are normally loaded to very low pressures, and it was my intent to help you gain some perspective on chamber pressures after reading some of your earlier posts. I have no idea where you got the"plastic shotcup" notion.

btroj
02-02-2014, 04:14 PM
No, he used 38 cal Hollow point wad cutters bullets in plastic shotcups. He didn't used 38 loads, just 38 bullets. Loads weren't copied from 38spl. Just used the bullets.

Where, in this thread, does THAT person post anything about 38 cal bullets in shotcups?

The fact you saw no signs of pressure means little. What pressure signs did you look for? How do you know they are meaningful or reliable?

The fact the gun didn't blow up means little, they often don't. At first.

02-02-2014, 04:56 PM
The loads I tried were most definitely not 38spl loads.
They were 38 calibre 148gr swagged hollow base wadcutters, seated in a standard 410 wad with 5 1/8" nitro cards seated inside the wad to bring the nose of the HBWC flush with the end of shot cup. With wads and projectile seated in a shot cup they could be pushed through either choke on my gun by hand with little resistance.
Total weight of the projectile and nitro cards was spot on 3/8 ounce.
They were then loaded into a 2.5" plastic case, powder charge used was one for the same hull, primer and wad combination with 7/16 ounce bismuth shot and had a book listed operating pressure of 10,000 psi.
In other words I substituted 3/8 of hbwc and nitro cards for 7/16 of bismuth with nothing else changed. Not recommend I know but anyone who has tried to find 410 solid load data will know manufacturer data just doesn't exist.
I reality what I did is no different to what lee recommend with loading their solids in a shot cup using shot data for the equivalent weight.
Velocity was a little lower than that listed for the bismuth load 1160fps, given all of this I have no way of knowing what pressure my loads were generating but am fairly confident they were well below maximum 410 operating pressures.

danyboy
02-02-2014, 04:58 PM
btroj,
Here is what 220 wrote:

' I did play with loading 38 hbwc inside normal shot cups in plastic hulls'

when you have no load data, you have to use what you can get your hands on. In this case, using lead shots load data is the only starting point you have.
Dixieslugs wrote:
Let's put pressur into focus indeed! Our Terminator (.730'-730 gr - 1250'/") and Tusker (.727"-600 grs-1500'/'- 1 3/8 oz)) are within the working pressure of 12 ga 3" Mag...tested by Ballistic Research! That's out of a 20" rifled barrel!
A solid does not have the pressure of shot load of equal slug weight/powder weightr, due to the difference in sidewall pressure. The original Paradox pushed a .730-730 gr hard solid at 1200'/" with Cordite.
We have people making speculation of pressure that has not had loads tested in a pressure gun....we do!
Now...an equal weight solid will have no more pressure than a shot load at the chamber and less at the nuzzle....if the powder burn is correct and the weight of powder tested.
There is no reason that a Paradox type load can not be done. It would mean doing a copy of the original rifling design and size....simple! In fact, our presnt Terminator, which is a modern copy of the origianl Paradox slug/bullet, would work. The Paradox barrel (amoothbore plus rifled choke) will produce less presure than the fully rifled barrel in use today. Our Tusker has also been tested in Italy by Pedersoli in their ML double 72. Our Terminator and Tusker have been tested in prototype slow twist rifled choke tubes already. The problem still remains of over-tight tubes after firing..all else worked fine indeed.
What more can I say!
Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs'
In other words, according to James who happen to have several practical pressure tests in his experience, you take a 410 shell loaded with 11/16oz of lead shot, took the shots out, casted a slug of equal weight (about 300 grains), inserted the slug in the shell, and shot it, you'd get less pressure than with lead shots because of the absence of lead shots sidewall pressure. So, even if some 410 slug bullets weigh 95gr., you could cast a heavier slug, one that would match the weight of lead shots in load data charts.

btroj
02-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Go back and look at who commented on 38 special pressure. It was bhn22, not 220. Bhn22 was referencing max pressure for your shotgun, not any load anyone else had ever fired.

Attention to details makes a difference.

bhn22
02-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I give up.

danyboy
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Go back and look at who commented on 38 special pressure. It was bhn22, not 220. Bhn22 was referencing max pressure for your shotgun, not any load anyone else had ever fired.

Attention to details makes a difference.
I know that bhn22 was referring to 38spl loads and he was comparing apples and oranges. This 38spl load example has nothing to do with shotgun reloading. I'd sooner exchange ideas and advice with someone like 220 who has experience in shotgun slug reloading.

02-03-2014, 01:22 AM
There is a very interesting video on YouTube, a couple of blokes trying to blow up a 410.
A search for "the little 410 that could" will turn it up.
Not that I would recommend it but they fired just about everything that would chamber and fire including 444 and 454 without getting it to come apart.
Well worth a look but I will stick to using rounds with 410 on the head stamp.

danyboy
02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
There is a very interesting video on YouTube, a couple of blokes trying to blow up a 410.
A search for "the little 410 that could" will turn it up.
Not that I would recommend it but they fired just about everything that would chamber and fire including 444 and 454 without getting it to come apart.
Well worth a look but I will stick to using rounds with 410 on the head stamp.
I agree. Heard horror stories about guys trying different ammo in a 410. There was even a guy who shot a 303 british cartridge. Pretty stupid.Blowing a gun isn't in my plans.
Too bad you can't find any more info on 410 slug reloading. Like you mentioned earlier, all we have to start with is load data for lead shots. It's as though ammo and powders companies got together so we can't have any info on it. Won't be the first time where I can't find load data, especially for obsolete rifles, and eventually find a load recipe that works after safe tests and of course patience.I'll keep posting further testing. Thanks for the help.

W.R.Buchanan
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Danyboy: I saw the "tests" on Youtube with the little .410 and was amazed at what that little cheapy gun could take. However firing a steady diet of those hotrod loads would eventually lead to problems. You will also note that gun had a full choke and everything squeezed thru just fine. However they didn't do it more than once or twice.

One thing you have to consider here is what is the practical application of these tests? If it is taking down a deer sized animal or a person at <50 yards then having a few cartridges set up to do this might be a good idea for a bug out gun. I actually have a Springfield M6 Scout .22lr/.410 combo gun which is very handy but not very powerful. I have several 3".410 Buckshot loads on the gun at all times just in case. I used to carry slugs until I read the box and saw that they were virtually useless at 95 gr. Now I reload all the 3" .410's I shoot with 000 Buck since I feel they are going to be the most effective thing I can shoot out of that gun.

Even with the buckshot loads I think 25-30 yards is about the upper limit for that gun for anything and this is because of the pattern generated by the balls. with a single projectile you only have one projectile and it has to hit the target, but it is not going to be any more accurate (and probably less so) than any single one of the individual buckshots from the pattern.

You never told us what kind of gun this was you are shooting? We all assume it was a break action .410 single barrel gun since you cut 2" off the barrel?

Randy

danyboy
02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Danyboy: I saw the "tests" on Youtube with the little .410 and was amazed at what that little cheapy gun could take. However firing a steady diet of those hotrod loads would eventually lead to problems. You will also note that gun had a full choke and everything squeezed thru just fine. However they didn't do it more than once or twice.

One thing you have to consider here is what is the practical application of these tests? If it is taking down a deer sized animal or a person at <50 yards then having a few cartridges set up to do this might be a good idea for a bug out gun. I actually have a Springfield M6 Scout .22lr/.410 combo gun which is very handy but not very powerful. I have several 3".410 Buckshot loads on the gun at all times just in case. I used to carry slugs until I read the box and saw that they were virtually useless at 95 gr. Now I reload all the 3" .410's I shoot with 000 Buck since I feel they are going to be the most effective thing I can shoot out of that gun.

Even with the buckshot loads I think 25-30 yards is about the upper limit for that gun for anything and this is because of the pattern generated by the balls. with a single projectile you only have one projectile and it has to hit the target, but it is not going to be any more accurate (and probably less so) than any single one of the individual buckshots from the pattern.

You never told us what kind of gun this was you are shooting? We all assume it was a break action .410 single barrel gun since you cut 2" off the barrel?

Randy

It's a CIL model 402. I drilled and tapped it and use a Browning red dot. I didn't find nor try any 410 buckshot yet. The fact that there is no rifling doesn't help much for accuracy.

danyboy
02-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Check this out. Hunter's experience with 410 slugs for deer.
http://www.fourten.org.uk/mwslug.html

02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Don't know why any of the manufacturers haven't come up with a heavier slug load for the 410.
Wouldn't be very hard to duplicate or surpass the ballistics of a 38spl from a rifle, but the energy figures for a 160gr at around 1000fps are only 2/3 of the current light weight 410 slug load. This is all I can put it down to, still I know which one I would choose given the choice.
If you haven't tried buckshot loads in the 410 well worth giving them a go. Patterns in my gun are better than the groups with the slug loads I was playing with. There is a bit of factory load data available as well, for both 2.5 and 3" shells.
The load I'm using is 5 00/SG in a 3" plastic, muzzle energy is over 1100ft/lbs, I would have no hesitation using this load on medium game out to 25y.

flashhole
02-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Can you point to a thread that discusses buckshot loads for the 410?

02-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Don't know if there is one, might make a good thread though, I know some blokes are loading 000 but the loads I'm using are 00.
The latest Lyman shotgun loading manual has buckshot loads listed, that's where my recipe came from, if you do a bit of hunting with the 410 they also list a couple of 3/4oz loads.

danyboy
02-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Don't know if there is one, might make a good thread though, I know some blokes are loading 000 but the loads I'm using are 00.
The latest Lyman shotgun loading manual has buckshot loads listed, that's where my recipe came from, if you do a bit of hunting with the 410 they also list a couple of 3/4oz loads.
Finally found a Lyman reloading data for 410 slugs dating back to 1967 at
www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/Lyman44.pdf
at pdf page 190, book page is 176.
Remington and Peters plastic S.P. cases
Lyman Slug bullet weighs 238gr. for 3"shell and 383gr. for 2"shell with no2alloy
powder charge from 20gr IMR4227 to 23.5gr. for 3" shell 1335-1535 fps
20gr. to 23gr. 21/2" shell 1320-1565 fps
Roll Crimp, Remington 69 primers, 3-remington 1/4" felt, 1-Remington 1/8" felt, 1- Remington .135" card.