PDA

View Full Version : newbie with win 94 sight questions

CGT80
01-28-2014, 12:52 AM
I shoot a Win 94 from 1972 or 1973 (from a serial number search) with the factory sights.
I am using a Saeco 315 copy in an NOE plain base mold. I get a 180 grain boolit and lube it with Cred and size to 0.311". 9.6 grains of herco puts me at roughly 1300 fps. I shoot a 12" round steel plate at 100 yards pretty easily if I do my part, but 160 yards on a 12-14" square plate was all over. I noticed that the rear sight seems off to the right a tad, like it may be bent from storage. The wear marks on the blued barrel are left of the sight, just a tad. I was hitting the 160 yard plate with my 159 lrn pb boolit over 6.0 of red dot, a while back, but I am out of those loads. The rn mold is a single cavity and my new NOE is a 5 cavity, so I want to use the 315 boolit.

I shot about a hundred rounds of the 315 boolit, yesterday, but I didn't figure out if the problem was the gun, the load, or me. I am thinking an upgraded rear sight may help a bit and make getting consistent sight adjustments a bit easier. I plan to shoot a NRA silhouette match and I want to sight in for each distance and then just adjust x number of clicks for each string.

I tried a lever gun with a peep sight that belonged to one of the match directors. It was much easier to see the front bead and the target. I also use peep sights on my Win 54 30-06. I was able to do pretty well at hitting the same 160 yard plate with the same 315 cast boolit sitting over 8.0-9.6 grains of herco in a 30-06 case. I had test loads in 0.4 grain increments for the 30-06.

The match director says he has done very well with the simple sights that are on my 30-30 but he also has decades more experience than I do. I have only been shooing these rifles on a regular basis to this distance for a year. Should I upgrade the sights and what would work well for a stock win 94? I don't want to tap and drill this rifle as it is in very nice shape and was my grandfathers hunting rifle.

It does have two small screw holes on the left side that appear like they may work for a peep sight.

I did some searching for peep sights, last night. I found one with a cam/wheel that is marked for different distances. There is another thread that someone started in regards to that particular sight, but there isn't any info on it so far. I looked at the williams fp sights on midway and the the williams 5d. I don't know the difference between the two. I do like fiber optic front sights on my other guns and may consider that for this one. I assume my gun is a top eject rather than an angle eject. The serial is 3914xxx.

It doesn't appear that there is a way to adjust windage on the stock sights, other than to drift the front of the spring steel sight which sits in a dovetail. The rear blade has two set screws that allow for some fine tuning of elevation, and it has the stepped piece for the larger adjustment of windage. I may have a combo of sights that are not very precise and a load that is not right for 160 yards, on top of my limited knowledge.

Chris

TCFAN
01-28-2014, 01:10 AM
You might look at one of these sights. If you could find one of the old ones that are made out of steel it would be a lot better. Also those two small screws are for a peep sight. Consider your self lucky that your rifle is already drilled and tapped.........Terry

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716636/lyman-receiver-sight-66a-winchester-94-aluminum-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Scharfschuetze
01-28-2014, 02:36 AM
Both Lyman (see TCFAN's post above) and the older Redfield (if you can find one) are excellent choices for what you want to do. Both will slip for coarse adjustments and both are 1/4 MOA per click and 3 MOA per revolution. The scale on the side is in 3 MOA increments (one revoluton on the elevation knob) so you can sight in and then adjust for your various ranges quickly and accurately in the Silhouette match with ease. Windage adjustments are just as easy with the same values as the elevation knob.

The Williams sight, while excellent for hunting, may not have the quick adjustment features you'll want for match shooting.

I would also recommend a square topped blade front sight (one that you can blacken with carbide or spray) for the best possible sight picture on those pesky steel targets.