PDA

View Full Version : Milsurp Rifles

Bzcraig
01-28-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm just starting to get interested in milsurp rifles and really like the looks of the Yugo M48 and M/N M44. The 48 I would like to keep as is and use, the 44 sporterize, any advise?

Bored1
01-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Personally before cutting up that m48, I would either pick up a cheaper MN 91/30 and sporterize that, or one of those Chinese mosin carbine copies Budsgunshop.com is selling for 119$ shipped.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?157-KCSO

Speak to that man about your bolt work! I've seen some of his handywork first hand and it's EXCEPTIONAL!!!! very personable with correspondence also!!! Can probably do whatever you have in mind as far as turning the both down for you!!!

Multigunner
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't mind building s porter on a pre bubba'ed hex receiver MN. If I did I'd go full house on it with a side mount/low over bore scope mount.
I ran across an old Rifleman article on a MN with bolt and receiver alterations that put the bolt handle behind the bridge. This was done on a long range target rifle to allow mounting an Unertal scope.
The alterations looked straight forwards enough.

I have another publication with article and pictures on the Finn sporting rifles built from MN rifles.
They liked to use the original stock altered by adding pistol grip and cheek piece.
They also liked to rebore these to 9mm and used a necked up MN cartridge that gave close to .35 Whelen balistics. These should make excellent cast boolit rifles.

Blammer
01-30-2014, 11:30 PM
M44's are getting harder to find. I'd not bubba or sporterize that one, at least don't do anything that will be permanent.

Scharfschuetze
01-31-2014, 12:14 AM
If you want to sporterize one of the Yugos, you might just look for an already sporterized Mauser. There are plenty out there. Some are sporterized very well and some... well Bubba got a hold of 'em. Either way, it might save you a dollar or two as well as some effort and you could also avoid the moniker of "Bubba." :)

OBIII
01-31-2014, 01:06 AM
One of the reasons (for me) for collecting military rifles, is the history, even though you will probably never know it, that is inherent in each one. Do not bubba or sporterize one that is in complete and good condition, rather find one that has already been done and use that. Later in life you will appreciate that decision.

OB

RustyReel
01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
I won't get into the "keep it original or sporterize" it debate......

....but I will say that a bubbaed/sporterized military rifle has history as well. Often a longer, more active and more colorful history; and probably more likely to have some documentation of that history, than a rifle that has been packed in cosmoline for the last 40-50 years.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-31-2014, 09:35 AM
I agree with those that voted to not sporterize the MN M44 and I agree you should keep the M48 original and shoot as is.

On the M44, here's why I wouldn't sporterize it:

1. The M44 was not made in the same quantities as the MN91/30 and they've become a bit more scarce on the milsurp market. In a few years, they won't be available in the milsurp market and prices will climb significantly.
2. The short barrel on the M44 and the stout caliber makes for a potent combination that provides quite the fireball when firing surplus ammo. While potentially handy in the woods, there aren't a ton of aftermarket hunting cartridges compared to say, a 30-06, but there are some. The surplus ammo is typically corrosive and makes a poor hunting cartridge in general.
3. There are already quite a few sporterized M1903 rifles and Mausers out there available now at very good prices. You can buy one of these already set up and you'll have a much better rifle for sporting purposes with a cartridge you can find tons of hunting ammunition for. For example, I just saw a fully customized Mauser with a custom thumbhole stock and scope for $650.00 local to me. Caliber was 30-06 and rifle was not only beautiful, but accurate.
4. If you buy an M44 today, the going rate is about $250.00. By the time you buy a few aftermarket parts and have the work done to turn down the bolt, etc., you're into the rifle for a good bit more than $400.00 and it's still a Mosin Nagant action. Mosins are strong and simple, but they are not nearly as strong and safe as a Springfield 1903 or Mauser are. For the 250 extra bucks and trust me, by the time you spend it, it'll likely be a good bit less than $250.00 cost difference, you'll have a much nicer rifle.

As far as the Finn modified rifles, they are definitely interesting, but those are hand selected Mosin Actions, built on the pre-WWII built Mosin actions and you would be hard pressed to duplicate one for anything less than $1000.00. I think you'd find if you could buy a Finn already done, you'd be money and marbles ahead. I believe those can be had if you search hard enough, especially on forums devoted to those rifles.

bob208
01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
when I started collecting military rifles. first thing you did was look to see if the numbers on the receiver and bolt matched. if they did you looked farther if not you put it back and looked at another. now you take the mismatched some times.

there are lots of bubba rifles out there. don't chop up another nice collector rifle.

dog2blue
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
I have a model 98 8mm czech mauser that was cut. It was owned by my father. He relief carved an eight point buck jumping over a log into the stock. It has great sentimental value, a family heirloom. It is my gun of choice for deer hunting. But the collectors value is destroyed.

Bzcraig
02-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Okay, I'll acquiesce to the collective wisdom. Here is what I want to do, give me your best advise. I really like the looks of the Yugo so finding a good one and enjoying it "as is" is easy. The other thing I wanted to do is have a project to work on over the next year or two. I do not like the long barrels of the MN 91/30. So what is your advise for a shorter barreled project and/or milsurp project. I do have a preference for a 308 but not a necessity.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Okay, I'll acquiesce to the collective wisdom. Here is what I want to do, give me your best advise. I really like the looks of the Yugo so finding a good one and enjoying it "as is" is easy. The other thing I wanted to do is have a project to work on over the next year or two. I do not like the long barrels of the MN 91/30. So what is your advise for a shorter barreled project and/or milsurp project. I do have a preference for a 308 but not a necessity.

Find an already sporterized milsurp and start from there. There were a few .308 chambered mauser milsurps built. I don't know them and you'd have to research, but they are out there and a much better choice for a sporterized rifle. But be aware, there's very little practical different in 30.06 and .308 when it comes to shooting/hunting with them or reloading for them. The .308 is a hair more accurate due to it's lower case capacity (more full of powder), but either will shoot as good in a milsurp as it can shoot.

Lastly, 30.06 brass is still quite available and generally more easy to acquire than .308. When I was shooting a lot of M1 Garands, I ended up with more of it than I ever imagined without even trying. Stuff breeds in your brass cabinet I think.

Bored1
02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

I still say 91/30. If you don't like the long barrel take a hacksaw too it. Make it whatever length you want (following all local/federal regulations). There are plenty of articles on how to recrown it using lapping compound and brass bolt IIRC, and a cordless drill. Plus this will help with the project idea. I personally am just waiting to find one thats not crazy priced to try this out. Or look at the chicom mosins buds online has. Last time I looked they we 119$ including shipping. Not bad for a chinese carbine.

Backwoodsman article had a good article on this in the last 2-3 issues I believe. Called it a canoe gun. Backwoodsman magazine also had an article on turning a 91/30 into a 14" pistol which looked pretty awesome I must admit.