PDA

View Full Version : what is best casting furnace

darkman
01-27-2014, 09:25 PM
I have a Lee 20 ibs pot now, but thinking of upgrading. Not sure what to get-Lyman, or RCBS. Opinions please.

jmort
01-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Magma Engineering Master Pot

Randy C
01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I like my lee pots but I have used RCBS and they Are as good as everybody says if I was to up grade I would not hesitate to get one, how many lee's can you buy for the price of one high dollar one.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-27-2014, 10:12 PM
I've never had or used a Lyman so can't comment on it. I have had an RCBS Pro-melt and a two Saeco's (models # 24 and #34) since 1978. Never had anything go wrong with any of them-ever. They just do their job. The Saeco's are long out of production, but the Pro-melt is still around and yes it costs a lot more than it ever did, but you have to make the call on what you want to own and drive (and afford). LLS

Springfield
01-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Magma pot. Holds more(40 lbs) has more wattage(150), and has dual pour spout ability. Pretty much never drips, and if it does the nozzle can be cleaned with a pot full of molten lead. Wish I could afford 2 so that I didn't have to drain mine when I switch to pure lead for balls and such.

dikman
01-28-2014, 02:16 AM
darkman, I assume you're talking bottom pour (you didn't say). If so, unless you're having problems with the Lee I can't see why you'd want to change. After all, if the pot is working, whatever the make, that's all that matters.

Unless you just want to spend some money (always good therapy :grin:).

dromia
01-28-2014, 05:19 AM
I have two RCBS Pro Melts would never go back to Lee pots, they need constant fettling and the ergonomics are poor especially the height their 17lber needs to be raised to to see the spout. The Magmas are fine pots also the only reason I don't have any is I don't have the need for 40lb pots.

JASON4X4
01-28-2014, 08:28 AM
I have a lee and like it. If yours is still working fine I would spend the money on other items. If it ain't broke don't fix it

cbrick
01-28-2014, 09:29 AM
I have two RCBS Pro Melts would never go back to Lee pots, they need constant fettling and the ergonomics are poor especially the height their 17lber needs to be raised to to see the spout. The Magmas are fine pots also the only reason I don't have any is I don't have the need for 40lb pots.

Just as with never going back to LEE pots if you ever use 40 pounds of all the exact same alloy, twin pour spouts, better heat control and faster warm up you would never go back. :mrgreen:

Rick

GARD72977
01-28-2014, 10:44 AM
+1 on the double spouts. I made a frame for my Magma pot fur use with hand molds and I love it. I think that casting by hand is more fun than with the Master Caster but if it is a long session the handle is easier to use.

Airman Basic
01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
+1 on the double spouts. I made a frame for my Magma pot fur use with hand molds and I love it. I think that casting by hand is more fun than with the Master Caster but if it is a long session the handle is easier to use.
OK, I'm a dumb***. Trying to figure what good double spouts are over my Pro-Melt. Somebody clue me in, please.

leadman
01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
I really like my RCBS pot but recently had thermostat problems. The short story is RCBS changed suppliers for the thermostat and it now has a 50 degree on to off range that sucks. The boolits went from too cold to too hot. Tthe new RCBS pots are equipped with the same thermostat. I made a pid and it works great now.
As posted up the thread the ergonomics are much better than the Lee.

btroj
01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
OK, I'm a dumb***. Trying to figure what good double spouts are over my Pro-Melt. Somebody clue me in, please.

Fill two cavities at the same time.

Much quicker casting tempo is possible.

cbrick
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Yep, with a two, four, six, eight cavity mold two cavities are filled at the same time. Makes a two cavity like filling a one cavity, very handy & quicker.

Rick

btroj
01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I gotta get me one of those Magma pots. Heck, I'm still young enough for it to be a worthwhile investment.

cbrick
01-28-2014, 01:06 PM
I gotta get me one of those Magma pots. Heck, I'm still young enough for it to be a worthwhile investment.

I'd sell you mine except Magma would sell you a new one for less than I would let mine go for. :mrgreen:

Rick

EdZ KG6UTS
01-28-2014, 01:47 PM
.... and a two Saeco's (models # 24 and #34) ... The Saeco's are long out of production, LLS

I like my old very used SAECO a lot. It sat a while after it stopped working but after fixing the thermostat the old pot is working just fine. The 'fix' was mostly cleaning the contacts and metal parts then putting it all back together along with a new iron cord. You have to be very careful with the mica insulator pieces but it can be done. I'm sure the pid controllers are more accurate but I just watch a thermometer then leave the dial where it works best. Great for fishing weights too.

EdZ

lightman
01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
I like my Pro-Melt a lot, but a Master Caster is on my wish list for this year. Like others have said, It just depends on your budget and what you want to drive. Lightman

Guardian
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Magma has a 6-8 week lead time on the Master Pot. My wife ordered me one for Christmas!

Mal Paso
01-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Lyman does not make a bottom pour right now. As far as I can tell the Mag 20 is out of production and the Mag 25 won't appear until fall 2014, if then.

gunoil
01-29-2014, 11:05 PM
rcbs is good enough for me.

Old Caster
01-29-2014, 11:09 PM
I am not sure about the 2 spout being any quicker because we already have to hesitate between pours for the sprue to harden anyway. If I use a mold that I can't pressure pour with, I never stop the pour until all cavities are filled and don't understand how you would do that with two spouts. I haven't used a Magma but understand that it is impossible to pressure pour with it. Maybe someone who has one could say if that works or not. I have had an Ideal, Lyman, Lee and now a RCBS with a Waage on the side to keep from putting ingots in the pot I am pouring with and am happy with that procedure. I never have to worry about changing temperature from adding alloy.

enfieldphile
01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
If you want it right now, get an RCBS. The new Lyman may not be available for Some time.

An old war story...

I began with a Lee, 10 # bottom pour, they work well for the price. They changed the design so the dribbling is less then the early models.

When I was stationed in Korea (1990 to 1991) a vendor had a sale on Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour pots. I had it mail ordered to Korea! Of course I had no guns, reloading, or casting equipment there. It was all in storage in the states. I found a few wheel weights and test run the Lyman in the barracks! It just made a puddle in the bottom of the pot, but was a satisfying experience non the less! After the pot cooled, I put it back in it's box. Once back in the states, I ran both pots.

I still have the original Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour. I have a replacement Lee pot. The old one's top rusted out due to some bad flux that was hydroscopic.

308w
01-30-2014, 10:25 AM
I am interested in the Magma, What does one do with 2 spouts when running a 3 or 5 cavity mold?

cbrick
01-30-2014, 10:38 AM
I am interested in the Magma, What does one do with 2 spouts when running a 3 or 5 cavity mold?

Out of about 75 molds I only have one three cavity though several five cavities. It can still be done, took me a few tries to get it right. Also the spout on the Magma is very easily removed & swapped out for a single spout if you wish, two machine screws are all it is.

Rick

Springfield
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
I have mostly 6 cavs but I do have couple of 3's and 5's. Just pour the first 2, then just move the mould until all the holes are filled. If the mold is hot enough it works fine. Just did it last night and cast 800 427098's in about an hour. The best thing about the Magma is when doing large batches or castng large 45-70 bullets you can just plop in a new ingot and the spout will never freeze up on you.

gefiltephish
01-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Can we assume the two spouts are adjustable to allow for the different pitch between cavities?

cbrick
01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Can we assume the two spouts are adjustable to allow for the different pitch between cavities?

I don't know what that means, different pitch between cavities?

Rick

geargnasher
01-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Spacing. Like "thread pitch".

Gear

cbrick
01-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Ok, I understand thread pitch perfectly, gotta admit I have never heard of the spacing between cavities as pitch but whatever. Learn something new every day.

The spacing between the spouts works perfectly on every single brand of mold I have. So much so that it's not anything I had given any thought to. If the spacing (pitch) isn't set perfectly it's gotta be awfully close.

The only times I change the dual spout is for single cavity molds where I put on the single spout and when filling 5 pound ingot molds to empty the pot (very rarely) where I take it off and don't use either nozzle.

Rick

DRNurse1
01-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Hmm How about the one you have, or to which you have access and use regularly. You need insurance for things that might happen but tools should be used regularly.

That said, a theme you will likely see repeated in numerous threads here is to buy the best you can afford and learn how to use it well. If an opportunity arises to upgrade...go for it.

GLL
01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Until very recently all of my casting has been with an RCBS ladle and a few WAAGE pots. After reading ongoing praises by Mark, Rick, and Creeker I acquired a couple of the 40-pound MAGMA units. I must agree they are exceptionally well made and hold temperature very nicely even when 5-pound ingots are added ! PID controllers are now being installed.

Although they have both single and double nozzles I have tended to use the single spouts most often since speed is not the most important factor for me and many of my molds are 1-cavity HP variety.

I have nothing to compare these pots to since they are my first experience with bottom pours but I would be very surprised to find any better design !

http://www.fototime.com/D6EDB6725848581/orig.jpg

I have had these just a couple weeks but the only complaint I have so far is that they lack any indicator light when the unit is ON ! That will be solved once the PIDs are installed.

Jerry

Clay M
01-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I really like my RCBS pot but recently had thermostat problems. The short story is RCBS changed suppliers for the thermostat and it now has a 50 degree on to off range that sucks. The boolits went from too cold to too hot. Tthe new RCBS pots are equipped with the same thermostat. I made a pid and it works great now.
As posted up the thread the ergonomics are much better than the Lee.

THIS is what we are currently dealing with.I have an old Pro Melt I got in 1980. It has been a fantastic pot. No issues. Bought my son one of the new ones for Christmas and had this same theromostat problem mentioned here.

cbrick
01-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow Jerry, Twins. :mrgreen:

Are you using the Magma PID's? They have nothing inside the pot, a nut is welded onto the center bottom of the pot on the outside with the probe attached there via a bolt into the nut. Nothing inside the pot to be in the way is really nice.

Now you need to make two of these. A one inch oak dowel drilled all the way through, the Magma handle is drilled & tapped for 1/4" bolt long enough to go through the dowel and thread into the handle. It's tightened on the back of the handle with a lock washer & nut so the oak is free to spin. Works great.

Rick

GLL
01-31-2014, 12:41 AM
Rick:

Great handle idea ! That thing gets warm.

Jerry

Springfield
02-01-2014, 10:40 PM
My pot has been altered for different height moulds. I inverted the mould guide plate so now it is more of a base. I then drilled holes in the sides of the base and put a steel rod through it with clips through the holes in the rods. I have 3 different height holes, seems to work for everything I have right now. I don't think I would like the wooden handle. As it is now I put my thumb on the base and pinch the handle with my forefinger. Gives me more control than pushing on the handle with my whole arm.

cbrick
02-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Pushing on the handle with your whole arm? :mrgreen: I bet that wouldn't work too well. [smilie=1:

One index finger is all it takes, with the leverage it's easy & smooth.

Rick

Slow Elk 45/70
02-02-2014, 01:20 AM
IMHO.....it comes down to a few criteria , $$$$$, $$$$$,$$$$$

Bullshop Junior
02-02-2014, 01:30 AM
RCBS Pro Melt hands down best ive used.

Springfield
02-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't understand the wooden handle, looks like you would grasp it with your hand.If so, how do you use your index finger to operate the handle?

cbrick
02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Don't grasp it. Simply put the end of your finger on it and give it a little push down. With the leverage it both keeps your pinkies away from the side of the hot pot and operates the valve easier. No whole arms, no grasping, just the end of your finger and it gives great control of the lead flow.

Rick

Beau Cassidy
02-02-2014, 09:52 PM
I love my Magma and just ordered the dual spout. The biggest adjustment I have had to make is since I have moved several times over the last few years, you just about have to have the pot only running on the circuit or the breaker will trip. I believe it is 15 amp.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 05:01 AM
6-8 weeks??
I have waited for 6 months for the BIG pot 120#s?? that goes over the big machine, bullets master, that's the 1st one,
still waiting on the second one.
Every time I called them in the past I ask about the lead time for the pots it was never as short as 2 months , no way! but they are the only big bottom pour pot out there we can use to feed the shot machine.
It's time some one came out with a 150 pound bottom pour, daul chamber pot, that not so expensive, they look like they should be made for less.
Thankfully we don't need the whole thing just the melting pots.
I saw a thread some where, Carson Specialty Dev. was talking about smelters both dip and pour and bottom pour?? I wonder how far he got??

In about 6-7 hours I'll be calling them to see about our 'last' pot that's been 4 months, more??
Their big commercial casting machine I think is about a year from delivery if you order, last month!

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
OK I was wrong, we waited more than 6 months (like 9 or 10) for the 1st pot.
Now it been one year as of March 1st since the second pot was to be DELIVERED .
Parts, pot, pieces of the machines are going onto the completed units first then to us regular folks that already have machines but can't get them up and running due to delay or lacks of parts delivered quickly.

Now, today with a year back up I and you maybe will have to wait for all those machines currently ordered to be built then sold and then hope they have a pot for me then??
Ouch, glad I am not doing bullets commercial any more. I'd be force to close the doors if I can't upgrade the machines and keep them making bullets. love my master cast for my-self but I want the BIG LEAD POTS NOW.

Clay M
02-04-2014, 09:53 PM
So what do most of you have a 110 or 220 pot?

Guardian
02-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Alan B,

I don't have the pot in hand yet, so you may be right. My wife ordered it two weeks before Christmas. Last week they said "2 more weeks."

osteodoc08
02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
From a cost benefit ratio.....is the $1000 Magma MasterCaster three times better than a $350 RCBS ProMelt?

jmort
02-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Is the RCBS 5 to 6 times better than the Lee Precision? The Magma Master Pot is around $550.00. Like they say, "Its your train Jessie, rob it anyway you like."

cbrick
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Your math is off a bit Doc, Midway currently lists the RCBS pot at $386 and the magma is $575. At three times the cost the of the RCBS the Magma would be $1158.00, not $575. The Magma is a 67% increase or $189 over the RCBS, not 300%.

Is it worth it? That's a relative question and depends entirely on your wants, needs and pocket book. The Magma has twice the capacity, heats that twice amount of lead much faster, has dual spout, holds a steady heat better, has an optional PID and is built like a tank.

That's not to knock the RCBS pot, I used one for decades (still have it) and to this day it is an excellent pot. The 40 pound capacity of the Magma is why I got the Magma and why it is now my main pot.

To answer your question (using correct math) yes, to me it is very, very worth it.

Rick

osteodoc08
02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Your math is off a bit Doc, Midway currently lists the RCBS pot at $386 and the magma is $575. At three times the cost the of the RCBS the Magma would be $1158.00, not $575. The Magma is a 67% increase or $189 over the RCBS, not 300%.

Is it worth it? That's a relative question and depends entirely on your wants, needs and pocket book. The Magma has twice the capacity, heats that twice amount of lead much faster, has dual spout, holds a steady heat better, has an optional PID and is built like a tank.

That's not to knock the RCBS pot, I used one for decades (still have it) and to this day it is an excellent pot. The 40 pound capacity of the Magma is why I got the Magma and why it is now my main pot.

To answer your question (using correct math) yes, to me it is very, very worth it.

Rick

Just going by their website.
http://www.magmaengineering.com/products/master-caster/

I was comparing roughly $350 after discount to the magma site and price of almost $1000.

I didn't realize midway carried it for considerably less.

cbrick
02-11-2014, 12:19 AM
[smilie=1: Come on Doc, your comparing the RCBS pot to the Magma automatic casting machine. The Magma "POT" is $575.00.

Magma Master POT (http://www.magmaengineering.com/component/banners/click/13/)

Rick

pretzelxx
02-11-2014, 12:22 AM
You could always buy a 20 ton pot at a foundry or something, you did ask what the best was. On a serious note, I love my lee pot! Good luck on your quest to find the best!

cbrick
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
You could always buy a 20 ton pot at a foundry or something, you did ask what the best was. On a serious note, I love my lee pot! Good luck on your quest to find the best!

That's good that your happy with your LEE pot. Have you ever used any others?

Rick

pretzelxx
02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately no, I'm very new. My needs don't demand anything larger.

osteodoc08
02-11-2014, 01:41 AM
[smilie=1: Come on Doc, your comparing the RCBS pot to the Magma automatic casting machine. The Magma "POT" is $575.00.

Magma Master POT (http://www.magmaengineering.com/component/banners/click/13/)

Rick

I honestly had no idea. I've only been exposed to lyman, RCBS and Lee pots. I had no idea. Someone had referenced the master caster and that's what I looked up. Now I know why I got looked at a little cross eyed!

That pot is much more palatable from a cost consideration. I would like to get a set up going at my house instead of relying on everything at my parents house. Everything was supposed to be split between between my brother and I and he gets kinda pissy when I try to talk to him about things. He has no interest in reloading much less casting but rejects the idea of me taking stuff since my father has passed. So.....I've been looking at getting a new set up. Decisions decisions.

dikman
02-14-2014, 02:27 AM
osteo, your situation sounds somewhat unfortunate. Funny thing about sorting out estates, it can sometimes have a strange affect on relations - I have a friend who is going through h*** with his sister over their father's estate. Even though she knows that it's all supposed to go to the son (and said so in the will, which strangely disappeared just after she saw it [smilie=1:) she's digging her heels in and it's costing them a fortune in lawyers!!!

What does your brother want with that stuff anyway? To sit and look at it? Or is it just because you want it?

As for a pot, I've only used an RCBS, and am very happy with it, but I would probably have been happy with a Lee too, if that was all I could afford. I guess it all comes down to how much you can afford to spend - getting better quality is always nice, if you can do it.

osteodoc08
02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
osteo, your situation sounds somewhat unfortunate. Funny thing about sorting out estates, it can sometimes have a strange affect on relations - I have a friend who is going through h*** with his sister over their father's estate. Even though she knows that it's all supposed to go to the son (and said so in the will, which strangely disappeared just after she saw it [smilie=1:) she's digging her heels in and it's costing them a fortune in lawyers!!!

What does your brother want with that stuff anyway? To sit and look at it? Or is it just because you want it?

As for a pot, I've only used an RCBS, and am very happy with it, but I would probably have been happy with a Lee too, if that was all I could afford. I guess it all comes down to how much you can afford to spend - getting better quality is always nice, if you can do it.

I honestly think he laments the fact that he passed up opportunities to spend with me and my father learning how to cast, reload and shoot. By "losing" this equipment, he "loses" his father or at least a tangible extension of him. In saying that, however, I have afforded him the opportunity for me to teach him on several occasions and he usually declines to sit on his butt and watch TV or someother lazy activity. Soooo, its just easier to get my own stuff set up and not argue with him over material objects. My father lives within me and not in his objects. Luckily he has no interest in many of his fine firearms and he, my father, was forward thinking enough to start a collection of twos. So we have 2 30 carbines, 2 M1 garands, 2 Remington 40-Xs, etc. The original 1886 45-90 is passed to me, however, he did have a very nice Miroku Browning 1886 all dolled up with fine wood, case hardened receiver, etc made for him. There are also 2 miroku SRC in 45-70. He really has no interest in revolvers, lever actions, etc. Mostly semi autos for my brother, so he has no real interest, which is fine by me. I've been slowly trying to get some of them out of there. Just grabbed a Marlin 1894 in 45 colt last week, after letting him know of course. Some of the guns he had, I have already or we bought "matching pairs" to shoot together. Example: Stainless Bisley BH. So I'll leave "his" to my brother. I'd rather have the memories of us shooting together.

So in the meantime I am looking to get in the next few months:

Melting Pot
RCBS LAM2
Dillon 550 v LnL
More molds
More lead
Smelting set up

mold maker
02-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Better to lose the guns/equipment than the Brother. He's the only one you'll ever have and your relations can be improved.

fredj338
02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
I like the RCBS, but if I were popping for more than my Lee, it would be the Magma. I have a MasterCaster & the 40# cap is great.

dikman
02-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Fair enough, osteo, although doubtless a wee bit frustrating. While it would be nice to have your father's gear, for sentimental reasons, this way you get to start with a clean slate equipment-wise. And it will be fun setting up a casting area.:drinks:

6bg6ga
02-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Just bite the bullet pull out the credit card or check book and purchase either a Ballisti-cast or Magma bullet caster and get rid of the anequated pots and hand held molds. You will never look back.

Lead
05-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I like my lee 4-20 but rcbs is a phenomenal company even if they discontinue the product they'll warranty with upgrade.

birddog
05-08-2014, 10:03 PM
It sounds like I should have got the double spout. Not to late to call and have one sent out as the pot has not arrived yet.
And as for lead times I emailed and was told 10 weeks, then when I called It was down to a few, so when I finalized my deal a return call came in 1 week for delivery confirmation.
Charlie:drinks:

Garyshome
05-08-2014, 10:50 PM
The one you have. But it's nice to dream!