PDA

View Full Version : Lathesmith's dies

robpete
01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I know this isn't the straight shooter section, but I wanted to let those of you that don't have his dies, or top punches, to give them a try. I received several today and they are simply works of art. I only ran one so far, but I'm sure the others are just as perfect.

Thanks again Chris

357maximum
01-27-2014, 06:47 PM
I have a bunch of his STAR dies.....he does GREAT work......very happy to have him kicking about. Hunting for elusive dies or waiting on big corp would just plain suckabunch.

altheating
01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
I just received a .359 die from Chris today. I think that is my 7th or 8th one from him. I ordered it specific for one boolit last week. Turn around time was great and the die was perfect as usual. I'll keep buying from him.

robpete
01-27-2014, 07:25 PM
He made me a .4015 for my newly acquired Star.......and get this....it sizes to .4015! lol. Fast turn around time for custom dies too. Very happy.

cbrick
01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I kinda wish I could buy more Star dies from Chris. I have a couple but by the time he started making them I already had 30+ Star dies in various calibers. If a new to me caliber should show up around here he's the man.

Rick

kayak1
01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Chris makes great dies! I have a dozen from him and expect to order more from him soon!

Viper225
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Do most of you take measurments of your bullet lube grooves, or do you send him a bullet?
My first order with Lathsmith will be for my 6 cavity Lee .358-150 Round Nose.
Plan on Manually feeding the Star Nose Down.
We will be shooting the Bullets in my 686-5, and a GP100. We shoot ICORE, Defensive Pistol, and Reactive Steel Challenge.

Any recomendations on what to order Exactly.

Bob

kayak1
01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
I have sent Chris bullet samples in the past. I have also measured from center to center.

bbqncigars
02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I sent him the dimensions for the 50BMG boolit and he made it with four sets of holes to get all the lube in. It works great. Each die has a matching punch with his set-screwed locknut on it. It makes switching dies soooo easy. Chris does superlative work.

rbertalotto
02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Be very careful....They have a way of multiplying!. Great product from a great guy!

Crash_Corrigan
02-04-2014, 12:57 AM
I spent more money with Lathsmith after I bought my Star then the cost of luber. I dropped about $330 in one day alone. Pricy.....not really and these are the best dies out there. I use pencil sized pieces of Rose stems for adjustment jigs.

Once I set up my dies and correct punch depth I cut and grind a dried Rose stem to match the depth of the punch that I know produces a perfectly lubricated and sized boolit thru my luber. Then with a sharpie I make the side of the stem with the caliber and the boolit and store them in a big cigar box with all the other dies, punches and Rose stems.

It is important to use only dried stems as they do shrink in length as they dry out. It only takes a week or two in the hot Vegas sun and everything shrinks including me. I used to be a solid 5'9" at 35 yrs and now I can hadly hit 5'7" at 71.