PDA

View Full Version : 8x56R M95 Steyr narrow in the middle

quiver
01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
I finally decided to slug the bore of an old M95 Steyr I have that had the unique ability to shoot on any part of the target at 50 yd. except for the center. It slugged out at 0.332 but I had noticed that it was very hard to push through in the middle of the bore and easier once past that point. So being a bit suspicious I pushed another slug in but only into the muzzle. The muzzle is .335. I think I just found out why I really can't get anything that could be considered a group with this rifle. My initial impulse is to take it to the next gun show and trade it for something else or another M95 that might shoot better than this one. Before I commit to this action, what else could I do to this riffle to get it to shoot right or alter to something else?

mikeym1a
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
This is a new post, so I'm sure other people more knowledgeable than me will answer, but, I have heard this question before. Several people have suggested that a soft alloy boolit with lapping compound in it will take out the tight spot. It takes a few rounds, but, I've read other peoples comments on how it works. The lead swages down to the constriction size, and polishes it out. It might take 20+ rounds to get the job done. Mind you, I have never done this, only read about it, but this is what my memory says was written that will work. If you do decide to sell it, PM me, and we'll see if we can work something out. Those rifles are 'different', and that's the kind I favor. mikey

Gtek
01-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Before getting too far into decisions, I would mic fired neck and see where it is there first and then make up mind. Gtek

quiver
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Mikeym1a,

I know what you mean about them being different. If I were to sell this rifle it would be to then buy another M95 with (hopefully) a better bore. I took another look down the barrel today and noticed that a ring was left in that section of the barrel that I was having difficulty in. I should have mentioned that all progress slugging this rifle was at a complete standstill when I reached the middle while I was trying to hammer the slug through. Never spent so much time trying to slug a bore before. Well, I had managed to clean that obstruction out, and it really would have been an obstruction at 0.026" thick! Slugged the bore again and didn't notice any difficulty slugging it this time. Slug was measured at 0.333". Muzzle is still 0.335 but I think I might be able to get something that might be considered a group rather than a pattern that describes a cone without a single hole at the point of aim. It looks like I'll need to get a .338 mold and a sizing die from buckshot.

Gtek,

Good advice I'll check that out today.

JHeath
01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Counterbore the muzzle?

UBER7MM
01-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Counterbore the muzzle?

Years ago, I saw a VZ-24 with the first 2 to 3 inches bored smooth at the muzzle. Undoubtedly and attempt to regain accuracy lost from cleaning rods and/or snakes used from the muzzle. Some of those military rifles were rode hard....

quiver
01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
I measured the neck of a fired case. It measured at 0.365. Not sure what significance that this measurement has but I do know that with a case thickness of 0.015 that a case could accept a 0.335 boolit. Counterboreing is an option to explore, but I think I'll see what could be done with a larger boolit first. A new Lee mold is cheap and beagling is cheaper.

Wolfer
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
I've lead lapped tight spots out before. Pretty labor intensive but it will work. Worked better for me than fire lapping. Woody

quiver
01-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Wolfer,

I hadn't even considered lapping the bore. I suppose it's simply something that I didn't consider since I never had a bore of this condition before. I think I'll try some form of fire lapping first before using lead lapping. Don't need to make the muzzle any wider, that's for sure.