PDA

View Full Version : H110 & 296 gumming up in my Dillon measures...

ShooterAZ
01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Is it just me...or is anyone else having this problem? These two very fine grained powders are causing me grief in my RL550 powder measures, causing them to stick and not throw properly. The last time I used 296 I ran a bunch of 30 Carbine and ended up having to completely disassemble and clean. It's getting all gummed up on the slide bar. I used graphite to lube it after cleaning and have had no problems...until I put some H110 in again. :(

Themoose
01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I had the same experience when I got my 550 about 20 years ago... Made a call to Dillon and they told me not to use either of those powders as they are too small and will cause the powder measure to stick and get bad results... Burst my bubble with my favorite load read quick...H110 and 296 are really the same powder for most purposes... so when I do my 44's now, it is back to measure on electronic scale.... I use mine for hunting loads in 44 mag rifles and don't have the volume of rounds that you probably have with target loads for a pistol...

TheMoose

HATCH
01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
I haven't had any issues with H110 loading 22 TCM
I have loaded about 2K rounds with it.

fecmech
01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
The problem is the clearance between whatever is sliding and what is stationary in your measure, it's too large. I had the same problem on my two CH Auto Champ measures. I was able to draw file the stationary sides of the measure to decrease the clearance between the sliding bar and top of the measure to almost zero. I can now use any fine powder including 296/H110 with no problems. Your measure clearances have to be smaller than the smallest diameter of your powder or it will bind.

ShooterAZ
01-27-2014, 04:21 PM
I like loading 30 Carbine on the progressive because I go through lots & lots of them. I may need to start working on some 2400 powder M1 Carbine loads.

NSB
01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
I had no problems with about ten pounds of 296 through my 550. I have noticed a very minute amount coming out after about several hundred rounds and simply cleaned it up. Not much of a problem at all.

osteodoc08
01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
I had the same experience when I got my 550 about 20 years ago... Made a call to Dillon and they told me not to use either of those powders as they are too small and will cause the powder measure to stick and get bad results... Burst my bubble with my favorite load read quick...H110 and 296 are really the same powder for most purposes... so when I do my 44's now, it is back to measure on electronic scale.... I use mine for hunting loads in 44 mag rifles and don't have the volume of rounds that you probably have with target loads for a pistol...

TheMoose

I'd of been asking for a refund. Thankfully my dillon 550 has no issue with 296. I pull a sample every 25 rounds or so to check for consistency. Its usually within 0.1gr of my target dose.

Themoose
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I didn't ask Dillon for a refund because I loaded a whole lot more 45's, 9mm and 30 carbine than I did 44 mag... also the 44's are loaded for deer hunting and I take no chances with them and weigh every load to .1 gr...

TheMoose

ShooterAZ
01-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I just learned that pre 1995 powder measures are the ones with the problem. The ones made after this supposedly have been corrected for this problem. I may get ahold of Dillon and see what they have to say about this.

ACrowe25
01-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I just learned that pre 1995 powder measures are the ones with the problem. The ones made after this supposedly have been corrected for this problem. I may get ahold of Dillon and see what they have to say about this.

I could see this being the case. I couldn't imagine Dillon would be satisfied saying--- don't use X powder without attempting to fix it. Please keep us updated. I have yet to use either powder in my blue press but was looking to develop a new load.

ShooterAZ
01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Just called Dillon and was caller # 25 in the cue...I didn't have time to wait, but will try later and update.

WILDEBILL308
01-27-2014, 06:29 PM
I think the newer powder meshurs are made to better tolerances. I have an older one and the manuel said not to use 296 or 110. I had to try it and it realey gumed things up.
Bill

bhn22
01-27-2014, 07:13 PM
My original Dillon powder measure hung up a lot. I called, and they told me the early ones had zinc plating, and that it would cause the measure to bind with fine grained powders. They sent me a replacement with black charge bars, and I haven't had an issue since. I've heard that they have been changed at least one more time since then, but mine works, and that's the end of my concerns. FWIW, my 550 is the early version, not the 550B.

Shuz
01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I have a very old Square Deal B in .44 mag and I use WC 820 in it with no problems whatsoever. WC 820 is very similar in size to H-110/296. I will mention that my press was sent back to Dillon for a rebuild a few years ago and perhaps they changed the measure?

357mags
01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
2400 throws best in Dillon measures.

bobthenailer
01-28-2014, 09:32 AM
I personaly have never had any problems with 296/H110 powders in my dillons after over 10 lbs used and ive used over 25 lbs of surplus 820 which is even finer than 296/H110 with no problems.
Perhaps your powder measure assy is worn some or has loose fitting parts ?

ShooterAZ
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes, no doubt it is "worn", both measures have close to 20 years of pretty steady use. No problems with flake or other powders though. I tried calling Dillon last night again. I got off work at 5, got home at 10 after and called Dillon. 29th caller in the cue. I stayed on hold on speaker phone until I got disconnected at 5:55 at 4th caller in the cue. It seems as if Dillon is rather busy lately.

leadman
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I had an old Lyman 55 that was worn and had the same issues with fine powder. I used spray graphite on the slides and it took up enough clearance that the problem went away for quite awhile. Had to clean and spray it again and worked fine again.

ShooterAZ
01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
I finally got through to Dillon this morning, and they are sending me two new spacer kits that they assured me would take care of the problem. They are super busy, but still have great customer service once you do get through.

michaelnel
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I finally got through to Dillon this morning, and they are sending me two new spacer kits that they assured me would take care of the problem. They are super busy, but still have great customer service once you do get through.

Did the spacers solve the problem? I too am loading .44 mag with 296 on a recently manufactured RL550B and get the gummed up powder measure problem too.

308w
03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I have the old dillon powder measures, they too won't work with 296/h110 I just used my hornady powder measure which measures these powers fine and manualy throwed the charges with with my dillon. I never loaded large amounts of ammo with these powders, just my full power hunting ammo, usually 100 or so rounds a year, and my solution worked fine.
Its good to know dillon has updated the measures though, I may try to get a hold of them and have mine brought up to date.

hicard
03-27-2014, 05:38 PM
I have the same problem with AA1680 and that includes the same problems in my RCBS powder measure/trickler. I wont even spin around, just stops.

michaelnel
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
I was able to draw file the stationary sides of the measure to decrease the clearance between the sliding bar and top of the measure to almost zero.

How do you file something down and reduce the clearance? Filing removes metal, and if you file the outside of something, it gets smaller and if you file the inside of something it gets larger, so how does filing either one result in smaller clearance? Not trying to be a wise guy here, I just really don't understand what you did that resulted in a tighter fit between the bar and the hole it rides in.

ShooterAZ
03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
The new spacers have tightened thing up quite a bit. I have not tried H110 or 296 yet though, I have them set for rifle right now. I followed Love Life's advise and polished the funnels and bought some baffles. Been busy getting large stick powders to drop accurately.

michaelnel
03-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Yes, I have polished the interior of the measure (the funnel at the bottom of the plastic tube) and the area where it drops into the powder bar (but not the powder bar itself or the area in the body the bar slides in, as the last thing that thing needs is to increase the clearance even a little). I also run the UniqueTek baffles in my measures.

Still no response from Dillon. Maybe they'll get around to me in the coming week.

osteodoc08
04-01-2014, 02:02 PM
There have been some revisions to the powder bars over the years. I dont know how old your 550's are. Call Dillon and see if they can get you some new pieces. I havent had any issues with 296 in my fathers Dillon and I've gone through jugs of that stuff over the years.

michaelnel
04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
My RL550B is less than a year old, purchased new by me. My second powder measure is less than 3 months old. I did call Dillon but was informed I was "29th in queue", and after holding for about 15 minutes I was down to 24th in queue. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend the whole day on hold waiting for them to get to me.

I emailed them via their web form and via straight email. No answer. I posted on their own forum. No answer.

popper
04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I've had the same problem with LeverE, 231 & other fine powders in my RCBS. It actually becomes a hard cake in the cracks. Causes bridging when it breaks loose.

michaelnel
04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Dillon gave me an RMA and I have sent the powder measure body and large powder bar back to them. Hopefully they can find a pair with less slop.

michaelnel
04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
I had sent Dillon just the lower part of my measure's body along with the large slide. Today FedEx showed up with an entire measure with both slides, and it appears the problem is fixed. The new lower body has a much tighter clearance with the slides. Thank you, Dillon!

1bluehorse
04-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Is it just me...or is anyone else having this problem? These two very fine grained powders are causing me grief in my RL550 powder measures, causing them to stick and not throw properly. The last time I used 296 I ran a bunch of 30 Carbine and ended up having to completely disassemble and clean. It's getting all gummed up on the slide bar. I used graphite to lube it after cleaning and have had no problems...until I put some H110 in again. :(

Had this problem on my manual measure 450....a couple strips of scotch tape on TOP of the small powder bar spacer, this will "tighten" up the clearance between the powder bar and housing.....worked for me.....course you have to remember to cut out the powder drop hole..:wink: