PDA

View Full Version : Lovells carbine restoration

Tertle
01-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Hi there team, I am hoping someone will be able to help me here.

Im looking to restore a bit of NZ history, a Lovells Carbine, my particular rifle is a 1844 muzzle loading percussion smooth 17 bore and was one of the 80 that were purchased by the NZ Government.

It was used by the NZ Mounted provincial Armed Forces in Otago in 1861 and Canterbury 1862 for gold field law enforcement. (Ive even an Snider Enfield Carbine from the same period that still gets out to the range and even went Wallaby hunting once.....but that's another story for another day!)

This particular rifle is missing the saddle ring and bar as well as the hammer, it was checked by a very reputable gunsmith a few years back and he agreed that it would be easily restorable to functioning condition!

BUT its the parts, im struggling to find anyone who is able to supply quality repro parts?

Ive a few extra photos on https://www.facebook.com/AllAboutEnfields

then ive a 1777 that need some work!!!!

nekshot
01-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Wow, now that one is interesting to say the least. Someone here will help you get that rig barking again! Nice gun!

StrawHat
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
It appears to be an Enfield lock. Parts should be available just not sure how local to you. Also, the tumbler shaft, to which the hammer is fastened, appears to be broken.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses, old guns should be returned to use.