PDA

View Full Version : LOP...What works for me!

Char-Gar
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
A significant variable in rifle dimensions which has a big effect on how the stocks/rifles fits an individual is the Length of Pull (LOP). Traditionaly this is measured by the distrance from the middle of the trigger to the middle of the butt plate.

The fly in the ointment is that rifles vary greatly in the placement of the trigger vis-a-vi all the other parts of a rifle. So, the LOP varies from rifle to rifle. depending...

I have found the distance from the back of the trigger guard to the middle of the butt place to be a better way to measure. Thus a a Springfield with a LOP measured the traditional way will have about a half inch greater length that a Mauser measured the same. However if we measure from the back of the trigger guard we can build a rifle stock with the same LOP regardless of the action type and have the same personal LOP. The reach of the trigger finger from the back of the guard to the trigger will vary, but the LOP can remain the same.

This works for me and save allot of time and energy trying to figure out what LOP I need for a given rifle. Measured my way, it is 12.5 inches. Measured the traditional way, the stocks will vary from 13.5" to 14.5". Hey, this works for me!

Nueces
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I like your thinking, Chargar, makes much sense. Believe I'll adopt the idea.

And, there goes another hour, pulling 'em from the safe for measurement. :drinks:

Mark

waksupi
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I can't see that one. A trigger, depending on the type, can vary a quarter inch or more, in it's placement in the trigger bow. If you are fitting a rifle to yourself, or ordering one, always use the trigger to buttplate measurement. Standard for most people, is 13.5".

leftiye
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Lenght of pull can be longer and still be comfortable if the pistol grip is long and sloping and makes one reach for the trigger with the index finger. So grip configuration matters too in choosing a pull length.

Nueces
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I think Chargar's idea is that the back of the trigger guard is what positions the hand, not the trigger face. The trigger finger then adjusts for the reach. Thus, a consistent LOP measurement from trigger guard to butt will make rifles shoulder the same and the diff is accomplished with the finger. Did I get that right, Charles?

Mark

Char-Gar
12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
my feaux NRA Sporter was made to measure and has a 14 lop according to the old way. My just finished Mauser sporter has a 13.5 lop according to the old way. Both have a lop of 12.5 measured my new way. Both fit me the same in spite of the half inch difference in traditional lop.

The Springfield has the military trigger and the Mauser a Timmy.

I am 6'3" tall with a 34 " sleeve length.

I am not trying to tell others how to do anything. I am just relating what is working for me as I build rifles to fit me. If this is something others find useful, that is just fine. If others think it is BS that is fine also. I just threw it out as a possible help to others and not a subject for debate.

Char-Gar
12-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I think Chargar's idea is that the back of the trigger guard is what positions the hand, not the trigger face. The trigger finger then adjusts for the reach. Thus, a consistent LOP measurement from trigger guard to butt will make rifles shoulder the same and the diff is accomplished with the finger. Did I get that right, Charles?

Mark

Yep Mark... You got it...said it better than I did in fact.. Charles

Char-Gar
12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Lenght of pull can be longer and still be comfortable if the pistol grip is long and sloping and makes one reach for the trigger with the index finger. So grip configuration matters too in choosing a pull length.

Another dimension I try and keep constant is the distance from the back of the trigger guard to the leading edge of the grip cap. This also help keeps my stocks consistant in how they mount, align with the sights and balance.

The heights of the comb is adjusted to meet the needs of the sighting arrangment. But if the lop and grip curl dimension are kept consistance, each rifle will fit you and feel much the same in spite of many others diffrences in style. Works for me.

waksupi
12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Grip measurement is from the first joint of the trigger finger, to the line on the opposite side of your palm at the base of your little finger. About 4 3/8" for me.

Char-Gar
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Grip measurement is from the first joint of the trigger finger, to the line on the opposite side of your palm at the base of your little finger. About 4 3/8" for me.

I took my notion of how to establish a grip on a rifle stock from Roy Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" on page 476. He gives measurments from the trigger to the leading edge of the grip from 3.5 to 3.75". I use this same notion, but again measure from the lower back edge of the trigger guard and this comes to about 2 5/8".

This way of measuring gives a fairly uniform angle/curl to the grip.

There is no one way to do these things. I find the above to give me a constant and uniform grip, at least to me. If I were building stocks for others, I might be disposed to look to other methods for a more individual fit.