PDA

View Full Version : Pretty much complete .38 reloading set up, free to a worthy cause

NoZombies
01-27-2014, 12:56 AM
I am planning to give away an essentially complete .38 special reloading outfit. I would like to give it to a new shooter or new reloader who couldn't afford to get the stuff for themselves. If you have a person to nominate, or would like to nominate yourself, please do so below. I'll be shipping this out in about 2 weeks, and I'll pick the recipient around the same time.

To nominate someone (or yourself) Please tell me more about the person, and explain why or how it would be a blessing for them to receive the outfit.

The outfit includes:

Custom made single stage reloading press with 2 rams, one for .38 spl and one for .45 acp/30-06 etc. The press uses dedicated rams, but can accept a universal ram, which are still made and available from several vendors. The priming assembly for small primers with everything but the pick-up tube (sorry was lost in the move, primers can still be inserted one by one until a replacement (RCBS) tube can be found).

.38 special reloading dies

.38 special bullet mold (have to dig one out of storage, probably a lee single cavity)

.358 hammer through bullet sizing die and pan-lube kit (can also be used with tumble lube, also included)

100+ pieces of .38 spl brass

300+ pieces of various styles .358 bullets

Please don't send PM's about this, but instead nominate the worthy cause below, I'll announce the decision and get the kit mailed out in about 2 weeks.

plmitch
01-27-2014, 01:12 AM
This is great! I have a kid, he's 19, that I'm mentoring I might nominate. I'll talk to him. Thanks.

338RemUltraMag
01-27-2014, 03:59 AM
A friend of mine Clayton I would like to nominate, he went through a horrible divorce, moved from CA to MO and has been trying to reload for quite some time but only 2 weeks ago found a part time job. I have sent him my All American press but can not get him anything for his 38 and 270.

BrassMagnet
01-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Are the Hornady and RCBS primer pickup tubes the same diameter?
I have a box marked as a Hornady priming setup, complete, but only the tubes and clips are there.

NoZombies
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Are the Hornady and RCBS primer pickup tubes the same diameter?
I have a box marked as a Hornady priming setup, complete, but only the tubes and clips are there.

I don't know for sure, I'll measure the ID of the part when I get home and let you know what it measures.

Keep the nominations coming, depending on the needs, I may be able to add other items to the box as well, for instance I have a set of .270 dies that I don't need...

plmitch
01-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Talked to the kid and he's going to pass. Great setup for someone. Thanks for doing this.

Brett
01-27-2014, 11:32 PM
There is an instructor I work with teaching Boy Scout shooting sports. He is a former Army Ranger and now works nights as a security guard. Like a lot of us it is tough for him but he makes time to be at every Shooting program we put on. I know this would mean a lot to him.

Thanks

NoZombies
02-07-2014, 12:47 PM
If there are any more nominations, get them in, I'll pick someone over the weekend, and try to get the package shipped the early part of the week!

scarry scarney
02-07-2014, 01:06 PM
No Zombies - I've got some 270 brass that I can throw in if you want to offer something up for 338RemUltraMag's buddy. And I'll even throw in more 38spl brass for your initial offer.

NoZombies
02-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Working on putting everything together now, will update in the next few days, and PM for addresses.

mpbarry1
02-11-2014, 01:35 AM
what a great gesture. good man!

Old School Big Bore
02-11-2014, 01:55 AM
My oldest son, Kris, was first a Corpsman, worked some shore hospital duty then got assigned to the Marines, did two combat tours (An Nazireeah, Al Izkondria, during both of which he lost Marines), got out and went through the Academy at my old Department, worked the street at a small PD, joined the Army (at age 30 he did Army basic, Infantry AIT, and jump school), did another combat tour, broke his back on a night jump, declined to be medically discharged, rehabbed his way BACK ONTO JUMP STATUS (!), did another combat tour with the back injury, and has now gotten out and just went to work at a Central TX Sheriff's Office. He and his young bride are expecting their first child. He loves any kind of shooting, and intends to shoot our area circuit of matches this coming season. I nominate him for this really generous gift. He shoots a Kimber 1911, a Kel-Tec .32, just got his wife a .380, and has an SMLE that I handed down to him. He will be getting a .38 or .357 revolver of some kind to shoot in our matches; in the meantime I'm loaning him the M66 that I used for that task for decades.

wrongway
03-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm a Vietnam veteran,I retired 5yrs.ago and just now getting back into reloading after 30 yrs. This would mean a lot to me coming from a generous person .With all the cuts in SS I have to hold on to every penny. But I'm guessing this must be gone by now if not I'd appreciate it.
Thank you,
Pete.Sr

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 07:02 PM
I will nominate my NASP friend Joe. He is a retired vet like me, and gives his time week in and week out working with the NASP (national archery in school program) kids, and has always helped the elder folks around here with repairs to whatever they need help with. He lost his wife a bunch of years back, so its just him and his dumm dog.... There is no more deserving, community minded service guy around... He lives a subsistance lifestyle and hunts/fishes and does whatever he can to make ends meet.... Summer time he helps out with whatever at one of the fishing lodges here.... He loves his little 38, and i cast boolits for him all the time, and another friend reloads them as i dont have dies and sizers and such.... It would totally bless him to be able to roll his own.... I offered him a spartan press a year ago, but he declined saying that he knew I started on that press, thinking that it had some sort of sentimental value... I think something anonymous that he knows Didn't come from me would be just the ticket... He has been through my stuff too many times...lol.... But he has served our country, and continues to serve our community and the folks that live in it, both old and young with dedication... I tried to talk him into selling his old 38 as it is just not a good size for alaska, but his wife got him that dang gun.. It is a s&w police chief or something like that, and is pretty beat up but he just loves that dang gun.... Hope he never shoot at a bear with it....

Thanks for the consideration....

AG

wnmGng
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
I'd like to nominate my dad, I currently load for him but I live 4 hours away so getting ammo to him regularly tends to be a hassle, since I can't use USPS. I think this would be great to teach him the basics. a few months ago he picked up a "new" 357, and hes had the same star 45 since the 80s, but he doesn't shoot much unless I can get him some ammo, due to ridiculous prices on both calibers.

Thank you.

oscarflytyer
03-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I will throw one of my son's in the hat. He and his wife just recently took up shooting when his granddad gave them some guns (he had terminal prostate cancer that took him in February). One is a Colt Dectective 38 SPC. I have been giving them cast bullets/reloads to shoot.

They have taken up shooting and hunting with a vengeance, and don't get to shoot as often as they would like due to cost. I am an experienced reloader and can teach them the ropes. And this is a very generous offer. Whomever you decide to gift it to is very lucky and Thanx!

SSGOldfart
04-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Hummm who did you pick??

Ben
04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
This kind of thing is what makes this such a great forum !

Ben