PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest route?

Gdbyrd
01-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Hey guys,
Looking for advice on the cheapest way to get around 1-200# of alloy that'd be appropriate for magnum pistol rounds. I've made the realization that I have too many calibers! So I'm scaling back on the stuff I shoot the most frequently and am going to try to stock up like mad on stuff for my 44 mags. I feel it's a real do all caliber that can be loaded a lot of different ways.

Locally I am having a hard time finding lead. Most of the tire shops here reuse their WW and the rest have collection by their company and wouldn't part with any.

I don't mind mixing stuff to get what I need. I'm ok ordering everything i need also. I just want to see something better than the 50$/500 rounds of cast I ordered this week.

Thank you much for all your help.

fryboy
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
buy/trade ww ingots from either vendor sponsors or individuals in the swapping and selling section is my best advice , not sure where you're at exactly but placing a add in something like craigslist may also find you a bargain or few
i too find few ww's i do however find a bit of soft lead that i mix in various alloys with linotype

Gdbyrd
01-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a couple sources for pure lead not a lot but it'd be a good start. For something like 5# of lead how much Linotype would you need?

Also what is your source for Linotype?

I live in South Tx. About 20m from Mexico

sprinkintime
01-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Gdbyrd; I have a deal with a recycle outfit and they save all the lead and brass that comes thru. Try one of those recycle outfits, you might do well. SPRINK

lwknight
01-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Gdbyrd, all you really need to do is put the word out in your area if you are near a town. I know that there are a lot of people that will bring it to you if you offer a fair price. Word of mouth travels in your parts and there is a lot of lead around barns and garages.

All you really need is isotope core lead plus 1% more tin and medium loads for the 44 practice. Check the swapping and selling section. There are some good deals from time to time.

GlocksareGood
01-27-2014, 12:51 AM
I have been shooting full load 429244s with cows +2%tin and never had an issue. I usually shot light loads with 50/50 +1-2% tin. Go to the captains forum and buy you some cowws and sowws from her. If you shoot more light loads then buy 150lbs of each.

fryboy
01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
1 to 1 lead lino equals hardball alloy , around the same BHN as lyman's #2 albeit a lil different mix ( close enough for bubbament work anyways , 3 or 4 to 1 lead lino is a close approximation of clip on ww's ( 3-1 more along the lines of older ww's ,4-1 along the lines of modern ww's ) 6 to 1 lead lino does tolerably well in the 38 special 45 acp range ( as long as it's sized correctly )
lino can be tricly to find at a reasonable price , the last i bought the feller wanted $2 a pound for a little bit or $1.50 if i took it all ... i couldnt take it all ( 55 gallon barrel mostly full ) but by asking of interest in the S&S section enough others wanted in to make the deal feasible , i ended up with a lil less than what i started out after and we all got what i believe was a decent price , last i recall seeing in the S&S section at what i'd term a deal was $1.75 a pound plus shipping ,
some guys sell mono/foundry/stereo type in the vendor section , bumpo ( iirc ) has a free alloy calculator posted in this forum that helps figure out what one needs to mix an alloy they desire , it may take a bit but one can slowly build up a stash , mine isnt big enough but i can shoot for a couple of years if i'm a bit conservative with it