PDA

View Full Version : Need a paint to match RCBS reloading Press color? (Stippled green!)

Defcon-One
01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
I just traded for some reloading stuff and wound up with a used RCBS Reloader Special-5 press. It was filthy and cleaned up really nice, but something like gasoline must have spilled on it a long time ago and it disolved the paint off of half the main body/frame. It went right down to the aluminum.

I am looking for any advice on a paint to match the RCBS reloading press color, which is a kind of stippled green.

If you have a good option please reply here. If you know of a direct replacement paint at a reasonable price, please let me know as well.

I know that I could go with any color, Krylon or Rustoleum, but I was hoping that there was a better option. The other parts are OK and are all RCBS green. I'd like to get a close match to the original paint if I can. Otherwise, I'll likely just strip it all to metal and go the other route.

Thanks for any help,

DC-1

220swiftfn
01-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Don't know if it'll be a match, but if you go the "strip it all" route, I'd say go with the Krylon hammertone green......

Dan

Lead Fred
01-27-2014, 04:04 AM
I sand blasted my old RCBS Jr and found at the paint store a crinkled green paint made by Hammerite,

Ive done all mine others, and a few for friends now

mac60
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM

The one on the left I just cleaned up. The one on the right was painted with the Krylon paint mentioned. It's not an exact match, but it's pretty close.

osteodoc08
01-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Looks good Mac. That would be good enough for me.

bobthenailer
01-27-2014, 11:19 AM
crinkled finish for older RCBS equipment

hammered finish for newer RCBS equipment.

01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't like crinkly or hammer tone finishes. I striped three RCBS presses and repainted them with Rust-Oleum Stain Leafy Green.

Defcon-One
01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Don't know if it'll be a match, but if you go the "strip it all" route, I'd say go with the Krylon hammertone green......

The one on the left I just cleaned up. The one on the right was painted with the Krylon paint mentioned. It's not an exact match, but it's pretty close.

Looks a bit dull, so it might pick up dirt easy? However, that will work for me MAC60! Same as 220swiftfn suggested. (Thanks to both of you!)

I sand blasted my old RCBS Jr and found at the paint store a crinkled green paint made by Hammerite,

Ive done all mine others, and a few for friends now

LeadFred: Is your paint by Hammerite glossy or dull crinkled green. Could you get me pictures? I assume that the Krylon is a spray can, but how about your Hammerite paint? A spray can or would I need a sprayer setup?

Thanks for the input,

DC-1

Defcon-One
01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't like crinkly or hammer tone finishes. I striped three RCBS presses and repainted them with Rust-Oleum Stain Leafy Green.

462: Thanks for that! The color is a dead-on match. If I can get it in glossy it will be easy to keep clean, too. I can probably get some texture by using a coarse grit sand blaster, then this paint.

A lot to think about, but I appreciate all of the input and options. You guys just saved me hours of research.

Thanks again,

DC-1

bruce drake
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Pick the color that you want. There is no law stating that your press has to stay in factory color branding.

My RCBS and my LEE presses are now John Deere Yellow as that was the paint I had on hand when I needed to clean up my presses.

Defcon-One
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Pick the color that you want. There is no law stating that your press has to stay in factory color branding.

My RCBS and my LEE presses are now John Deere Yellow as that was the paint I had on hand when I needed to clean up my presses.

Bruce: I like it! Maybe Camo or how about a PINK one for my wife's .38 Special reloading?

Thanks,

DC-1

220swiftfn
01-28-2014, 03:03 AM
Looks a bit dull, so it might pick up dirt easy? However, that will work for me MAC60! Same as 220swiftfn suggested. (Thanks to both of you!)

LeadFred: Is your paint by Hammerite glossy or dull crinkled green. Could you get me pictures? I assume that the Krylon is a spray can, but how about your Hammerite paint? A spray can or would I need a sprayer setup?

Thanks for the input,

DC-1

No problem, the color suggestion is actually from Cheese IIRC, compliments of my brain regurgitating something useful at the right time for once.......

What I CAN tell you from personal experience is that Ford Engine Enamel is NOT a match for the Pro-Melt, but it looks (and holds up) just fine......

Dan

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-28-2014, 10:47 AM
DefconOne,

This is just a side note, but my experience with the "hammered" paints is from Rustoleum - it is the version you find at Walmart. It's the shiny dark green with what looks like aluminum roof coating mixed into it. It comes out looking very similar to the latest RCBS press offerings. I used it on my boat custom made dash panels and it turned out great. It's easy to clean and has held up well. I did have to use an aluminum primer, but once it stuck, it's stayed on with all the banging around panels get in a boat. It's been easy to clean with a wet soapy rag. About all you could ask for in a paint you would use to refinish a single stage press.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an exact duplicate. Instead, I suggest getting something that pleases you and fits in with the other stuff on your bench. That said, my bench looks like a yard sale from several neighbors. Every brand and color of manufacturer there.:-?

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Rustoleum Hammertone Green.

Randy