PDA

View Full Version : Argintene mauser

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Well folks. I worked out a trade today with a membee for a 91 ( I believe) argintene Mauser rifle.

Kind of excited for a project. Looking for ideas and photos of what y'all have done to some of yours. The stock has to go, as I have a very lonf LOP and the military stocks never cut the dough.

So anyway, what has bubba done to yours?

leadman
01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
I have 2 of these, one was chopped when I got it and the other is all original. I replaced the stock on the sporter with a stock from Richards microfit in California. Boyd's also has them for sale now. You will definitely have to slug the bore. Brass is easily made from 30-06, 7X57,8x57, 270, etc. Can be done with a full length die but easier with a file trim die.
THe triggers on these are normally decent and work well but do have the 2 positions. I have not found it an issue.
Is there a scope on it or drilled and tapped for same?
A good slip on pad might be an option until you can replace the stock.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 10:50 PM
I have 2 of these, one was chopped when I got it and the other is all original. I replaced the stock on the sporter with a stock from Richards microfit in California. Boyd's also has them for sale now. You will definitely have to slug the bore. Brass is easily made from 30-06, 7X57,8x57, 270, etc. Can be done with a full length die but easier with a file trim die.
THe triggers on these are normally decent and work well but do have the 2 positions. I have not found it an issue.
Is there a scope on it or drilled and tapped for same?
A good slip on pad might be an option until you can replace the stock.

I think he said it is drilled and tapped for a scope. Im getting a good deal on it, and figured id make it into a nice sporter and then shoot it some and then maybe trade it or maybe I will really like it. I know it does need a littlw work, like the bolt needs bent ect.

DeanWinchester
01-26-2014, 11:04 PM
You gonna handload for it?

I found five pcs (I know, whoopedy do) of 7.65 Norma Brass at the range the other day. If you wanna load em, I'll send em to ya. Just pm me.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I used to have about 100 rounds of factory Norma ammo but i dont know where it wonderes off to. Its not worth mailing 5pc, ill get some 30/06 brass or use some of my 270 brass and make some when I find a set of dies.

adrians
01-26-2014, 11:15 PM
This is what mister Bubba did to my 91 sans the Redfield aperture ,,I did that.

Not sure what front sight it is but it's aces with the peep...

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 11:16 PM
What kind of stock is that? That looks pretty sweet.

adrians
01-26-2014, 11:34 PM
It's a fajen stock , looks better in the flesh than the pic shows.

Larry Gibson
01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
My "Evita" was already commercially bubba'd when I bought her. I forged the bolt handle, D&T'd her for the Lyman SME receiver sight, modified the front base for an M14 front sight (I like that sight picture), made the scout scope base out of a Leupold base to fit the original rear sight base and adjusted the 2 stage trigger to break clean at 3 lbs. Also put a recoil pad on the stock. Scope is a Burris 3X. Keep thinking I'll buy her a new dress (stock) but she's good in the original I just can't bring myself to do it. How good is she? Here's the full bore jacketed hunting load and she's just as good with cast just not as fast.........

Larry Gibson

CENTEX BILL
01-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I got you covered on dies and molds. See your PM.

Centex Bill

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Looks like something I may end up liking! Thanks LG

Heading there now Bill

mikeym1a
01-27-2014, 12:59 AM
My Mod 09 was 'sportenized' when I got her. I've read that the bores are all over the place, but when i got mine, late 70s -early 80s, everything I read about the gun said they had .313 groove diameter. And that is what mine measures to be. I've not seen any others, so I can't say with any authority, but mine is spot on. I recently got a bunch of Norma cases from my LGS, and can send you 20, if you want. Just let me know. yeah, I'm a hoarder......... :-D

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2014, 01:06 AM
One can never turn down brass :D

RustyReel
01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Here are my two. Actually I think the bottom one is an 89/36 but close enough to an 1891. Bubba got at both of them. Top rifle is matching numbers but he shortened it and you now have to remove the front sight to be able to remove the front barrel band!!. Bottom one was put together from a couple of Bubba's rifles. This one had a very poorly altered original stock and the other one had junky metal but this Bishop? stock. Put them together to make one rifle. Metal need refinished on the bottom rifle.

Bottom picture is from an old Williams book on converting military rifles that I have been drooling over for fourty years or so. Always wanted an 1891 done like this one and hopefully I will turn the top rifle into something like this some day.

GunnyJohn
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
I had one that was sporterized with a fajen stock and a set of redfield bases and rings when I got it. I let it get away to a buddy of mine for his sons first hunting rifle. He's a good kid. I shot really well with 40 grns 3031 and a 180 grn .311 speer rn bullet. I had it before I got into casting. Wish I still did.

swheeler
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
My "Evita" was already commercially bubba'd when I bought her. I forged the bolt handle, D&T'd her for the Lyman SME receiver sight, modified the front base for an M14 front sight (I like that sight picture), made the scout scope base out of a Leupold base to fit the original rear sight base and adjusted the 2 stage trigger to break clean at 3 lbs. Also put a recoil pad on the stock. Scope is a Burris 3X. Keep thinking I'll buy her a new dress (stock) but she's good in the original I just can't bring myself to do it. How good is she? Here's the full bore jacketed hunting load and she's just as good with cast just not as fast.........

Larry Gibson

Larry nice groups! That is a pretty stiff load of H380 but shows the potential of the 7.65 round, 06 mil spec for 150

Larry Gibson
01-28-2014, 12:06 PM
That load is close to the CIP MAP for the cartridge. I have tested several different lots of Argentine milsurp 7.65 and some FN 35 Belgian 7.65 milsurp. That load is in the middle of them psi wise and is pretty much the same as Hornady's 150 gr load and is a bit less than Norma's 7.65 Argentine. All are based on peizo-transducer and strain gauge psi measurements, not on C.U.P. older psi measurements.

That is an excellent load and continually shoots sub moa. If you over lay all those groups (all shot with the same POA) the 12 shot group is still sub moa.

Larry Gibson

leadman
01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Last time I had my 91 sporter at the range was before elk season. Was shooting at 200 yards along side a guy with a couple of high dollar bolt guns. The scope on one was worth many times more than my gun but guess which gun shot the best?? He was a little ticked off!

Even the .310" 180gr round nose Remington bulk bullets shoot 2" at 200 yards in my gun. The Hornady 150gr SPs do better.

Bullshop Junior, you may want to give this gun a workout before you decide to trade it away. They don't look like much but they are very well made and solid shooters. Inexpensive to feed with converted brass and cast also.
If you have problems converting your brass contact me and I'll size it in my trim die for you.