PDA

View Full Version : A day at the range good and bad

Ed Barrett
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
It got up to 61 degrees today so I got to got to the range. I started off moving half a cord of wood up to the house, since the bottom supposed to drop out the thermometer tonight. Going to be a low of 5 above. After getting the wood up I didn't feel guilty about spending the rest of the day at the range. I got a chance to check out some new loads, nothing was super accurate or real bad either, But getting out made up for the poor results.

seanhagerty
01-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I got out and played too. Except my play involved a weedeater with a brush blade and a chain saw. I never got to shoot any at all. It was still a nice day. I hope you enjoyed the day. Where did you go shooting at?

Sean

Randy C
01-26-2014, 09:49 PM
We have been in a white out all day wind chill up to -45 but a day at the range is always fun.

Goatwhiskers
01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Louisiana just got a dusting of snow, pretty much paralyzed the whole state. These people can handle rain and mud, snow and ice not so much. Weatherman this evening was pumping the prospects of the next front on Tuesday for all he was worth. Got to keep the excitement going, kinda like when they go stand out in a hurricane to demonstrate that it really is blowing and raining. Idiots! Only good weatherman I ever saw was in Garden City, Ks.. Told us one evening that we all should bring our brass monkeys inside, got below 0 that night. Anyway, I'm not worried, got plenty of firewood. GW

knifemaker
01-26-2014, 11:09 PM
We had a nice 64 degree afternoon and I got in some shooting at my backyard pistol range. working on regulating a Cimmaron Colt clone in 357 mag. that goes with my Rossi 92 in same caliber. Great looking revolver with case harden frame and 3-1/2 inch barrel. Just shoots low and left with good tight groups. The shooting low will be easy to fix with the file. As for the shooting left, I do not like bending the sight, sticks out like a sore thumb. So I did it the S&W way. Pick up a 8 pound bar of lino type and swatted the barrel to the right. Had gun in a padded vise and 4 layers of masking tape on barrel to prevent marring the barrel. It moved the impact 1 inch to the right. Just got another 1 inch to go and it will be on for windage. Will be swatting it again Monday and test for group.

Frank46
01-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Here in New Iberia we had below freezing temps and heavy ice accumulations on just about everything. Kinda funny for a ex new yorker who moved down here 18 years ago to see my truck covered with ice. have a bunch of tree branches that the ice took down so looks like pickup time for me. Frank

mac60
01-27-2014, 10:33 AM
The worst day at the range I ever had was better than ANY day I ever spent at work!

CGT80
01-28-2014, 12:15 AM
I made it to the range yesterday. The lever action rifle match was listed on the calendar again but I didn't notice until late, the night before the match. I got up early and loaded up some extra 30-30 cast boolits loads and headed out. I remember that the match director said no match until March, and that was in November. Turns out I was right and the calendar was wrong. The match director and his friend were practicing on the 200 yard pad. I shot some lever action anyway.

I was using a Saeco 315 copy in an NOE plain base mold. 9.6 grains of herco puts me at roughly 1300 fps. I shoot a Win 94 from 1972 or 1973 with the factory sights. I did just fine on my 12" steel plate at 100 yards, but 160 yards was all over. I noticed that the rear sight seems off to the right a tad, like it is bent from storage. The wear marks on the blued barrel are left of the sight. I didn't figure out if the problem was the gun, the load, or me. I was hitting the 160 yard plate with my 159 lrn pb boolit over 6.0 of red dot, a while back, but I am out of those loads. The rn mold is a single cavity and my new NOE is a 5 cavity. I am thinking an upgraded rear sight may help a bit and make getting consistent sight adjustments a bit easier. It is a silhouette match and I want to sight in for each distance and then just adjust x number of clicks for each string.

I did pick up boolits and jwords from the dirt after I shot. I filled one of the jumbo size plastic folgers cans about 3/4 full, maybe 40 pounds. The weather was nice. A very slight breeze once in a while, and low 60's temp.

Ed Barrett
01-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I went up to Leadmine conservation area, they have 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges with benches. It is about 20 minutes from my place.

I got out and played too. Except my play involved a weedeater with a brush blade and a chain saw. I never got to shoot any at all. It was still a nice day. I hope you enjoyed the day. Where did you go shooting at?

Sean

fecmech
01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
I went to the range yesterday also. Swiped my card, took the lock off the range door and turned the furnace on. DavidR and myself burned up some .38 ammo on the 50' range. I would much rather be outside but 5 Deg. with a stiff wind is not shooting weather for me. I'm just fortunate to have the indoor range for the winter here in Western NY.