PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Question

Michael J. Spangler
01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
i posted this in the lead alloy section but i don't think it got very many views. might be better suited here for more answers

i have a good 200+ pounds of pure lead right now. so this morning i figured i would hit the local scrap yard to see what they had to help make up some nice pistol alloy.
low and behold 3 or 4 - 55 gallon barrels of pewter and another 3 or 4 - 55 gallon barrels of various solders all the goodies you could want.
they had about 1/3 of a barrel of "linotype" after some digging around the attendant pulled out his trusty alloy analyzing gun (such a cool toy) and zapped some piece for me
some of the stuff was decent, and pretty much lino, some was a little lower alloy and some was much lower, barely anything but lead.
there was some nice little 1" cubes with hollow backs that tested roughly 77/16/5 lead/antimony/tin back to the bin! i spent the next 10 minutes pulling out all of the little cubes i could find. it was tough because my arms just barely reached to the bottom of the bucket. i brought $30 with me so i could get some samples to mess with. they told me it would be $2 a pound for that small of a quantity. After digging around i ended up without about #17 of these little beauties.
they said that was close enough for $30 worth of lino, just make sure next time i need lino to come back to them.

woohoo. i'll have to snap some pictures later. i can't wait to alloy this stuff up.
i'm looking to make roughly the equivalent of COWW alloy with half of the lead, and keep the other half pure. most of the shooting i do is pistol and can't be done at 50/50 COWW and Pure equivalent alloy, but i find that my lee 356-124 TL needs a little more hardness, not to get squished down in the case reducing its size. i guess i'll keep some for that or start using my 38/357 powder funnel/expander to leave a little less tension on the case.

now the questions
i have some random lead shot in a small quantity. maybe a total of 20#. is there a way to tell what the alloy is? i have a bunch of #9, a few cups of #4 and a few cups of #2. i was figuring this would help me get a little arsenic into the mix.
should i worry about the arsenic as i don't really plan on hardening this alloy? i would like to run some full house hot 357 loads (358156 GC) should i make a small batch of alloy with the shot added to that to help with the hardness?

right now i'm planning on the following

100 LB Pure (plumbing lead)
17LB Lino/Mono whatever it is (lets call it 78/16.5/5.5) lead/antimony/tin
1Lb Pewter
the cast alloy calculator says i should be at 96/2.43/1.58 roughly at a COWW alloy.

my thinking is that at this point i can fill the casting pot 50/50 with this alloy and pure or i can add some of the shot (if the alloy is good) to get something a little more worthy of a magnum pistol load? is my reasoning sound or did i breathe in too much lead oxide with my head in that barrel for 10 minutes?

given that alloy to work with, how much shot should i add to get to a good magnum alloy capable of heat treatment?

thanks guys!

Echo
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Well - if you do the 50/50 thing you mentioned that would give you an alloy with less than 1% SN. I believe I would want at least 2%...
How is the pewter ingotized? Or is it in pieces? It will be almost pure Sn, and for $2/lb, that's a steal.

lwknight
01-26-2014, 09:43 PM
now the questions
i have some random lead shot in a small quantity. maybe a total of 20#. is there a way to tell what the alloy is? i have a bunch of #9, a few cups of #4 and a few cups of #2. i was figuring this would help me get a little arsenic into the mix.
should i worry about the arsenic as i don't really plan on hardening this alloy? i would like to run some full house hot 357 loads (358156 GC) should i make a small batch of alloy with the shot added to that to help with the hardness?

That's a lot of reading but I think the question was about the arsenic.
Arsenic does little to harden alloy by itself. It is a grain refiner. It makes age hardening go a lot faster and will help antimonial alloys get even harder. Shot makers use it to increase surface tension for dropping round shot. Arsenic is actually not any help for mold casting.

The antimony in the shot will harden the alloy and the arsenic will help even more since antimony is present.

Michael J. Spangler
01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
yeah sorry it was a little bit of a story and a question. i was happy with my score

seems the arsenic isn't needed really unless i want to heat treat.
they should still harden enough for 357 mag loads when water dropped.

i think i'm going to call them tomorrow to see what their price is on the pewter….. might be worth having some to sweeten the mix
i guess it would really help with fill out in my 50/50 COWW and pure mix and give me a little bit bigger diameter. should i aim for about 2% tin as a final result in the 50/50 mix?

i alloyed that mix up last night and when i weighed out the type metal it ended up being 17.5 pounds. i melted that with 100 pounds of plumbing pipe and the 1 pound of pewter.
i guess i ended up 1.59/2.59/95.9 according to the alloy calculator.

so i'm wondering if my alloy pretty much matches up with COWW as is right now? i've had great luck with 45s and 38s with 50/50 COWW and Pure so i'm pretty much trying to match that alloy.
i've also had luck with 9MM water dropping the straight COWW alloy, another reason to try to match COWW
so do you guys think i'm close enough to COWW or at least what its supposed to be?

thanks for helping with my ramblings and questions

bangerjim
01-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Why the H==L did you NOT buy all the pewter and "solder & goodies you could want"??????
That is a find of a lifetime! Far more valuable than that stuff you bought.

Forget the arsenic thing. You need Pb, Sn, and Sb......things you will find in that pewter and solder.

banger

Michael J. Spangler
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
ahahaha! i love the way everyone is amazed at the amount of metals they have.
they always have this much metal on hand. they've been around for a long time and have the ability to hold onto product as long as they want to play the market. lots of land, and not owing a mortgage means they don't have to sell unless they want to and the price is right.

they had 4'X4'X2' deep bin full of range scrap from a local yard too. i guess they had a 55 galling drum of shot that was snagged a week or so before

i'll be back to grab some more goodies from them.
so what is the going price on pewter/tin/lino right now on the forum? maybe i should be working out a group buy on this stuff?

lwknight
01-27-2014, 12:50 AM
It all should be no more than $1.00 per pound at the scrapyard ,even hand picked . You will lose a lot to junk
and probably cheating scales.