PDA

View Full Version : Consistency using a Master Caster

dverna
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
I found the work Goodsteel did on consistency interesting and I was wondering if anyone has done a similar analysis of bullets produced from the Master Caster.

It would seem that a large 40lb pot and the same drop to the mold should help. Also, it would be easier to develop a cadence with it than manually pouring.

Thanks,

Don Verna

GabbyM
01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
consistency is the name of the game. You need a clock with sweep second hand. I leave a lead thermometer in the pot and keep temp adjusted as the temp will raise as the level drops. When casting large bullets that eat the lead. I fire up my Lee pot for melting ingots. Then ladle hot lead over to the big casting pot with a heavy soup ladle.

L Ross
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
I use clean ACWW, thermostat cranked all the way up, a covered fabbed to fit the top of the pot, of course use the fan, count in my head to chill the same every time, try to leave the largest sprue that will fit with clearance under the dual pour spouts, and go!

Duke

LAH
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
You need a clock with sweep second hand.

I do & works great.

eck0313
01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
I've found with my MasterCaster that bullets that are "keepers" upon visual inspection weigh within .2 grains of each other (200 gr. .45 SWC). I don't use a clock, but have established a pretty consistent rythym in casting.

MBTcustom
01-29-2014, 11:35 PM
The thread I started on consistent casting was to show you how to find out how your mold likes to be handled. Once you find that spot, throw the scale in the corner and focus in on timing and alloy temperature. Sort by visual inspection.
If I'm really picky, I'll weigh all the boolits just to find any that might have voids etc. and cull them out.
The bell curve is just a tool to show you what time/temp. to focus on, and every mold has it's own place that will give you the best results.

fredj338
01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
With my Master Caster, I find the rate of pour is important for uniform bullets. You can pour slow or fast or in between. The temp stays pretty uniform as long as you don't let the pot get below 50%.

dverna
01-30-2014, 07:59 PM
I've found with my MasterCaster that bullets that are "keepers" upon visual inspection weigh within .2 grains of each other (200 gr. .45 SWC). I don't use a clock, but have established a pretty consistent rythym in casting.

Thanks eck0313,

That level of consistency is excellent.

Don Verna