PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor headed for destruction/sad day at a gunshow in Augusta Maine

Mark Daiute
01-26-2014, 05:53 PM
I watched a Trapdoor Springfield walk into the show last weekend here in Maine. I know the owner from my local range

I figured I'd browse the tables then go back and evaluate the trapdoor (I like and study trapdoors).

I'd browsed maybe two tables and saw another fellow I recognize from the black powder shoots near my home and he had the rifle. It had already been sold!

Making a long story short he told me that he was going to "turn it into a black powder cartridge rifle", at which I started to get a knot in my stomach. "Whadya mean a black powder cartridge rifle? You've already got one and it's in your hands". He tells me yeah, but I'm gonna break it down for the parts and build an "X" (I can't remember what he said at this point).

No I never got to check the bore but the front sight blade needed to be replaced (original blades cost maybe 6 bucks) and if I remember rightly it had a nice Buffington rear sight on it, exactly correct for the rifle.

PLEASE GET THIS MESSAGE TO THE BUYER OF THAT RIFLE! IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO TAKE A PERFECTLY FINE RIFLE AND DESTROY IT FOR A MADE UP RIFLE!!!

I understand that this is his rifle to do what he wants with it but why destroy an artifact that is perfectly fine. The rifle had an OK "Circled-P" behind the trigger assembly and a reasonable cartouche.

If you are the buyer of this rifle and you read this know that you can probably make 100 bucks profit without any effort whatsoever, and without destroying an artifact. It was fine just the way it was and as a 45-70 it is chambered in the finest cartridge ever made.

Thanks for listening,

Mark

2AMMD
01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
I have what I think is an original Trap Door rifle. The thumb part of hammer is broken off. I have cleaned the barrel and that is as far as i will go. If it shoots well, great, it probably will with the right boolit and load(black powder only), if not, it will stay in the safe as is for posterity.
If you want a newfangled whatever, build it and show us what you did and how it works. Leave the ORIGINAL guns alone.
2AMMD

John Boy
01-26-2014, 10:33 PM
I have what I think is an original Trap Door rifle. The thumb part of hammer is broken off.So why don't you buy a replacement hammer, then take it to the range or hunting to enjoy it?
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/TrapdoorHammers.html

webfoot10
01-26-2014, 11:32 PM
S&S Antique gun parts in upstate N.Y. has replacement parts for the trapdoor rifle. Just Google for the address.
webfoot10

Mark Daiute
01-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Al Frasca always has parts:

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

bigted
01-27-2014, 03:20 PM
my my and again my

John Boy
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
my my and again my Amazing, the answers you'll get on this forum! Ask and ye shall find!:grin:

John Allen
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
This makes me sick to my stomach. You can buy actions all over if you want to make something up but to destroy a trapdoor for this is just horrible.

montana_charlie
01-28-2014, 03:20 PM
I ... saw another fellow I recognize from the black powder shoots near my home and he had the rifle.

Making a long story short he told me that he was going to "turn it into a black powder cartridge rifle", at which I started to get a knot in my stomach.

PLEASE GET THIS MESSAGE TO THE BUYER OF THAT RIFLE!

If you are the buyer of this rifle and you read this know that you can probably ...
When somebody starts a thread where he asks for help, advice, information, or a favor, I try to concentrate on what he asked for ... rather than my opinion or preference.

It is obvoius from the above text that this author knows the purchaser (to some degree) and was face to face with him immediately after he purchased the rifle.

What he asks us to do is "get this message to that buyer", something he was unable to do when they were eye to eye.
Since we know absolutely nothing about the person involved, I can't imagine a more impossible task.

Don McDowell
01-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Interesting take on that rifle, especially considering the Army marksmanship teams along with marksmen from several state militia's modified the trapdoors in order to better compete at the Creedmoor matches etc.
Gemmer and others from the period did a number of customizing on trapdoors, and then there was Bannerman's , Flayderman's and others that sold all manner of modified Springfields...
Changing an original rifle is nothing new, been going on since those rifles were new, and will probably continue as long as folks are allowed to own rifles, and there are gunsmiths to do the work..

Mark Daiute
01-29-2014, 12:47 AM
When somebody starts a thread where he asks for help, advice, information, or a favor, I try to concentrate on what he asked for ... rather than my opinion or preference.

It is obvoius from the above text that this author knows the purchaser (to some degree) and was face to face with him immediately after he purchased the rifle.

What he asks us to do is "get this message to that buyer", something he was unable to do when they were eye to eye.
Since we know absolutely nothing about the person involved, I can't imagine a more impossible task.

You never know who is where. First, if the purchaser of the rifle ran across this post I'd hoped that he'd reconsider his actions, second, I wanted to share my sorrow among like minded individuals. I know, pretty lame but it's true.

I've since found the name of the fellow and we have communicated. The rifle may be remaining intact. I've known him on a casual basis for a good many years but did not recognize him at the show. It had been a long time.

regards,

Mark

Mark Daiute
01-29-2014, 12:53 AM
Interesting take on that rifle, especially considering the Army marksmanship teams along with marksmen from several state militia's modified the trapdoors in order to better compete at the Creedmoor matches etc.
Gemmer and others from the period did a number of customizing on trapdoors, and then there was Bannerman's , Flayderman's and others that sold all manner of modified Springfields...
Changing an original rifle is nothing new, been going on since those rifles were new, and will probably continue as long as folks are allowed to own rifles, and there are gunsmiths to do the work..

Absolutely true.

Having said that I see no need in breaking up a solid rifle in original condition to build something when there are so many rifles that are already changed/messed up.

Don McDowell
01-29-2014, 01:07 AM
But it the owner of the rifle is happy with the changes in it, then it's not messed up. It may not be in the same configuration as the other 700,000 that left the Springfield armory, but it's not messed up.
Now if you were talking about a rifle of individual class such as a Sharps, Remington, or Ballard Long Range Rifle , of which there were very few made that's a different story, but a military arm made in the 100's of thousands most of which are still out there original and functional, not hardly worth a hissy fit on the Inet...

seekersoftheredmist
02-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Just be happy he is going to continue to put the gun ( in some part) to use! If you stop and look around there are TONS of old relics that have been redone into beautiful shooting pieces that are bringing the owner countless hours of joy. Also how many of us saw one of these style guns at a range and that was our "Love at first sight" moment that got us hooked into Black Powder Cartridge Guns?! Who knows the owner may make a nice relic into a jaw dropping piece that will get new folks into the very thing we all love to shoot. Be happy for the guy and you might just watch a Diamond come from "the rough".

Teddy (punchie)
02-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I liked reading the post. Post away!!

Opinions are all over the place.

Why are there so many guns and models of same gun.

Every time someone asks me would you. I say did you ever think to ask why so many guns. Most of it is because everyone has a different like, opinion . You pick what you think you are going to like at this point and be happy. Next year you will change your mind maybe, maybe not be happy with your choice, and you'll have to pick an other Gun and have to just have that one, it goes on and on. Just be Happy !!

country gent
02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I hate to see this done but also in reality this has been the "norm" with military rifles whenever they are released. This trapdoor is earlier than alot but how many Krags springfields mausers have been sporterized over the years. As Don stated earlier the springfields were modified by gimmer and several others to "improve" them. While I dont always agree with the modifications/changes it is the owners rifle.

Mark Daiute
02-01-2014, 04:29 PM
The owner and I have had some nice communications and he agrees with me. He is looking for a barreled action or a Bubba'd rifle.

Mark

WILCO
02-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Around here, they're called "Preservationists". If someone doesn't want to see something destroyed or altered, they need to pony up some cash for a purchase to save it or mind their own business. It's really that simple.

ndnchf
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
The owner and I have had some nice communications and he agrees with me. He is looking for a barreled action or a Bubba'd rifle.

Mark

I have a complete .50-70 model 1866 trapdoor barreled action with near excellent bore that I'd let go. I've had it sitting around for years with plans to build something, but never seem to get around to it. I've got a good shooting .50-70 Model 1868 trapdoor, so its kind of redundant to my needs. PM me if interested.

mazo kid
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
I have Trapdoor parts, some actions, rifles, etc. and can see both sides of this. A few years ago I took a TD that had a very poor stock and restocked it in a Sporter stock. Did nothing to change the barreled action, saved all the old parts so I can restore it to original condition at some later date. So, I guess I made a BPCR out of a TD but have the ability to re-convert it.

Bullshop
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
I just love the Gemmer Trapdoors, like the one pictured on my web site.

StrawHat
02-07-2014, 08:02 AM
I enjoy the Springfield Single Shot rifle. Here is one I reworked.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/MississippiTrapdoor001.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/MississippiTrapdoor001.jpg.html)

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it is once again a shooter.

SharpsShooter
02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/BeautifulTD2_zpsb3961cab.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/SharpsShooter_photos/media/BeautifulTD2_zpsb3961cab.jpg.html)

SS

Don McDowell
02-07-2014, 06:17 PM
That thing is gorgeuous SS.

Bullshop
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Looks kind of British don't it?

bigted
02-07-2014, 09:15 PM
i second the sentiment ... what a handsome rifle. thanks for showing it.

Buzzard II
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
S&S Antique gun parts in upstate N.Y. has replacement parts for the trapdoor rifle. Just Google for the address.
webfoot10

S and S Firearms is in Glendale, N.Y. (Queens) Phil-718-497-1100. You may be thinking of Gun Parts/Numrich Arms in Kingston, N.Y. (off the N.Y. Thruway) 866-686-7424. Both are great to deal with.