PDA

View Full Version : Black powder storage???

GunnyJohn
01-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Being new to BP shooting I plan to spend alot of time here learning what I can. I started my BP shooting career with some real bp I got from a friend. When that was gone, I went to the lgs to buy more and he was out. Wanting to play more I bought some pyrodex, and was dissapointed. My accuracy suffered. Friday I stopped again and the Holy Black had once again returned. I was thinking about buying several pounds but am unsure about how best to store it. I have some military ammo cans with the gasket to hopefully keep out moisture, but is this the answer? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

fouronesix
01-26-2014, 11:06 AM
BP can't be compared to smokeless or the BP substitutes. BP is extremely stable and will outlast all of us. Just keep it in original containers and in a relatively stable environment. It's shelf life is probably a few hundred years.

GunnyJohn
01-26-2014, 11:17 AM
BP can't be compared to smokeless or the BP substitutes. BP is extremely stable and will outlast all of us. Just keep it in original containers and in a relatively stable environment. It's shelf life is probably a few hundred years.

Good info, See I already learned something. That makes my buying more decision much easier. Thanks.

dondiego
01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
If you have recently used Pyrodex, you might want to clean your bore again soon.

chill45100
01-26-2014, 11:57 AM
I put my pound cans into ziplock bags to keep the moisture content stable. Plus if my storage area should catch fire I won't have a series of bombs in ammo cans, just in fragile bags. Just the way I do it in humid Eastern Kansas.

johnson1942
01-26-2014, 12:44 PM
it is good you found out in the beginning that most often black powder is the most accurate powder, their are exceptions but it is a proven rule. also so, well stored it will last longer than you. ive posted before as well as several others that cases that were sealed well and pulled apart today from the 1870/s, it was found that the powder was of high quality and in perfect condition. have fun and keep uesing black powder.

DIRT Farmer
01-27-2014, 10:01 AM
I have shot powder that was made in 1864 and definately not properly stored. It went off promptly and the loads broke clay targets well.

Pb2au
01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Black powder is pretty robust stuff. That being said, I keep mine in a cool, dark place that tends to stay the same temperature-ish.

GARD72977
01-28-2014, 12:12 AM
My dad bought a work truck with side tool boxes on it about 10 years ago. He put the boxes behind the garage. I decided to use one on the boxes and found a half full can of 2f Goex. It shoots just fine.

john hayslip
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I'd check your insurance on the house as I think it'll limit the amount you can have. If more than that I think fire codes require a wooden box with 4 inch sides.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I picked up a load of black for a group of us , one of my friends asked my wife if she was worried about driving around with a case of black in the back of the van on a warm day 75-80 trying to rile her up

I looked up the MSDS for black powder flash point is 801 degrees Fahrenheit , so about 400 degrees after my vans fuel tank starts spewing flame from the filler neck , i will worry

that said you only have to get a few grains to 801 degrees and they will rapidly warm the rest

keep it in the cans in a cool dry place and it will outlast you

John Allen
01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
I keep mine in 50cal ammo cans they fit great and are air tight.

GunnyJohn
01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
I keep mine in 50cal ammo cans they fit great and are air tight.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Ramar
01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
chill45100 said ".....Plus if my storage area should catch fire I won't have a series of bombs in ammo cans, just in fragile bags."

Good advise. A plastic bag will keep out moisture better than an ammo can. The more you try to contain an explosive with a restrictive metal container the greater the bomb you are building when it is ignited. I believe for this reason the transportation laws concerning the transporting of black powder recommend card board box shipping and will not allow greater than 1" thickness wood for construction of a box. They also specify the type of non restrictive fasteners to be us that will allow the pressure to be easily released and not further increased.

I couldn't find a link for this info, so I'm relying on my memory with regards to my above statement. I do store large quantities of black powder and only in wood crates in trash liners
Ramar

pietro
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM

I would first check your area's laws regarding the storage of explosives (which Holy Black is) - there may be restrictions on the amount, and where (in or out of a residence), and how (in original container, in a marked box, whatever), or no restrictions.

Usually, as long as the BP is in it's original container & kept far away from any source of heat/ignition, you should be good to go - just ensure the containers are sealed tightly, to preclude moisture entering an opened container.

bhn22
01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Ammo cans are designed to release pressure by "blowing" a series of spot welds at the seam and latch areas. Those little spot welds are all that holds the lid on.