PDA

View Full Version : smith and wesson k frame model 17 .22 cal.

johnson1942
01-25-2014, 11:26 PM
i think thats what it is, had it for years, very accurate and well made. my 14 year old son is well trained with rifle and shot gun so today got the smith out and let him go through 75 rounds with it. at first he couldnt hit anything with it then he got over the newness of it and started grouping in the black at 25 yards. wants to go into law inforcement like his big brother some day after college so cant let him leave the house with out knowing how to shoot every thing out their. wish i still had the highstandard supermatic trophy i had years ago for him. may have to buy one to train him on an auto. the smith should get him used to a hand gun and to make every shot count. a .357 wheel gun saved a mans life not too long ago 30 miles from here. the man was out walking and a mountain lion was walking 6 feet away along with him then he turned and went for him. thats when the cat met mr. .357. stopped him in his tracks. back to the smith, i like the weight and size as it has the feel of a bigger cal but is still just a .22 for lower recoil. glad i kept it.

cwheel
01-26-2014, 12:08 AM
I've got 2 older ones, 1 4"barrel, and a 6". Both are great for training someone to shoot a wheel gun double action trigger control. Send your son out with a brick of 22's and tell him to shoot as fast and deliberately as he can. Throw out a dozen pop cans @ 25 yards for targets. End of that session, hand him a Model 36 Smith or a Model 60 ( same gun in SS ) or any J frame Smith. You will be amazed what a difference it makes even shooting the small backup guns after the 22 session.
Chris

johnson1942
01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
thanks for the post, thats what we mainly do, when he goes to college for law inforcement i want him to be be completely comfortabe with any hand gun. his older brother was and now carries a kimber .45 auto and scores perfect every time he has to qualify. you never know, it may save his or some elses life some day.

MtGun44
01-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Wish my M17 was as accurate as it is pretty. Sad to say it is a 2.5 - 4" gun at 25 yds, depending on
the ammo.

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-27-2014, 01:49 AM
My S&W 617 is a fine trainer for revolver work with larger calibers. For a "close" trainer that positions controls where they are on a centerfire counterpart, I would suggest a Ruger 22/45 autopistol. My 22/45 shoots VERY well, and is a good warm-up for a centerfire self-loader session. This assumes you have 22 LR ammo on hand, of course.