PDA

View Full Version : swag o matic

whelen fan
01-25-2014, 10:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Kman338/20140125_192424-1_zps4fb9d2e0.jpg

I got a swag o matic press that is set up for 44. Also got thousands of hornady 44 pistol cups and dies that cast cylindrical lead pieces.

I tried to make a few but they didnt turn out pretty.

Is this just the way it is? Is it not set up right?

HeavyMetal
01-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Half jackets and Thats how they look, might be able to change point tooling but I don't have enough experience with older swaging dies to add anything else.

nhrifle
01-25-2014, 11:38 PM
They look good to me and the flashing should come right off and leave a nice shoulder. A couple things to look at in the future -- make sure your cores are as close to size as possible before forming, check that the nose punch is sized very closely to the bore of the die, and maybe use a bit less pressure during forming. Ok, so that's 3 things, but they might help.

bullet maker 57
01-25-2014, 11:41 PM
I agree with nhrifle. I think to much pressure first. Punch to bore fit second.

01-26-2014, 12:32 AM
I acquired one of these presses with a bunch of dies I never got around to trying it,but some where I have the insruction booklet that came with it . will try to find it and see if I can figure out how to make a copy of it

Pilgrim Sojourner
01-26-2014, 01:08 AM
I have one also, but like 257, I haven't used it. Here is where to find a copy of the manual:
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manuals/Swage-O-Matic.pdf

whelen fan
01-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks fellas. Will play around with it a bit more.

Methuselah3
01-27-2014, 11:57 AM
SO you are the one who got that on eBay. LOL.Looks like some wear on the top punch is leaving a gap which creates the flash. Also the top punch looks like it could use some polishing to get rid of the "grooves" that it is leaving on the nose.Is there a bleed hole in the punch? I can't remember if that was applicable on the swagematic dies. If not the very slight difference in core weights will cause this to occur when you adjust the die for one weight and then you press a one slightly heavier core. Either way, you can roll that flash off with your thumbnail and it will shoot fine. Hope you got it all worked out since this is a year old but I thought someone else might be having a similar experience.