PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight powder coat gun and powder on sale

git_dr1
01-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Just thought I would share that Harbor Freight has the gun on sale for @ $64.99 and the red, white and black powder for $3.99.
The printable 20% coupon brought the gun down to $51.99.

Thanks for the new addiction!

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Is this the same powder you use for tumbling?

git_dr1
01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
It is the same powder that many have been using.

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Fasinating. Im temped to try getting some, and sticking it i a rotary tumbler..

bangerjim
01-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Save your rotary tumbler drum. Boolit just ride around in it and do not coat well. Just use a coolwhip container. Leave the lid off. put in just a tiny bit of powder at at time, as much as will stick to the boolits.....and no more. Shake and roll for a couple minutes until they will coat no more, adding powder *** needed. Coolwhip....not tupperware! Don't know why, but coolwhip really works.

I had many many failures at first until I tried it this way. ES is still my main way, but an alternative is nice.

bangerjim

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Im kind of on a low budget so cheaper is better. I usually juse use speed green, but like to tru new things

jaysouth
01-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Bullshop Jr.

I buy my powder from www.powderbuythepound.com at a little over $15 per pound. A pound will coat several thousand bullets. I have used the powder from Harbor Freight and never had good results. The pinch of necessity is a cruel one but spending money on poor products hurts too.

I have used a rotary tumbler (the one from harbor freight) in an attempt to dry coat bullets. My results were terrible. I finally broke down and cleaned out my Midway vibratory tumbler and got very good results. Just don't add too much powder at one time. The powder remaining in the tumbler bowl is easy to clean up with acetone.

The thread that I have linked to here is four pages but tell/shows you everything you need to know about dry tumbler powder coating: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/73808-powder-coating-the-super-duper-easy-way/

If you order a pound of powder from Powder Buy the Pound, ask them to send you a small sample of some other color. usually they will send you a 2-3 ounce sample if asked. Good folks to deal with.

Here are the standard colors available: https://www.powderbuythepound.com/RAL-Color-Chart

They will do custom colors if none of these suit you.

bangerjim
01-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Im kind of on a low budget so cheaper is better. I usually juse use speed green, but like to tru new things

Get a tub of coolwhip and enjoy some deserts! Get some very cheap powder at HF (not $15/# + shipping OMG!) and coat some boolits. The only thing you may have to loose is a couple pounds of weight gained from the deserts!!!!!! HA....ha

Now that is "coating on the cheep!" Anybody can afford that.

bangerjim

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Ive gonna have to give it a try...do you guys size before or after coating?

bangerjim
01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Ive gonna have to give it a try...do you guys size before or after coating?

BOTH. But depends on your mold and what size they drop. If they "slip " thru easily, not needed B4 PC.

Do NOT use ANY lube of ANY kind! Not needed and will/could damage the PC.

banger

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Fasinating. You guys using like the lee push through dies? Are you doing .002 over like you would with a regular lubed boolit?

Shooter6br
01-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Years ago I moly coated J bullets for benchrest shooting. A little powder in a plastic jar then(screw lid on) put in Lyman 1200 (media left in) for about 1 hr. Worked well. No fuss no muss. Should work with powder coating. Saw the HF electrostaic gun. Nice.

crawfobj
01-26-2014, 02:12 PM
A 1lb plastic folgers can works great. Just roll it around in your hands ant the boolits get a nice even coat very quickly. I had no luck using my rotary tumbler and now see no need.

bangerjim
01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Fasinating. You guys using like the lee push through dies? Are you doing .002 over like you would with a regular lubed boolit?

Treat them just like standard. Yes......Lee dies only. No need for expensive lubra-matics any more!

Please take some time and read the threads on PC'ing, most of your question will be answered. This has been covered many times from many people.

banger

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Ill try to get on a computer later and read up on it. My phone can be hard to navigate when I want to do a lot of reading.

smokesahoy
01-26-2014, 04:27 PM
I got in on this deal last week. paid $75 for the gun and 4 pounds. Just need to get a thrift store oven and ready to leave the world of lube.

bangerjim
01-26-2014, 07:44 PM
I got in on this deal last week. paid $75 for the gun and 4 pounds. Just need to get a thrift store oven and ready to leave the world of lube.

Just a head's up..........make sure you get a convection oven (fan) NOT a standard one. Standards have hot spots and horrible temp profile & control. Conv's cost a lot more but are the only ones that really do the job we want.

Reason: baking "food" in a standard oven, the mass of the food and dishes act as a heat sink, evening out the temp in the oven. Our lil' boolits have no mass and the temp can swing wildly, especially with standard ovens. The fan in the conv circulates the heat evenly and allows ALL the boolits to be at the same temp, rather than having saggy ones over the elements and cold ones at the sides, front, and back.

Also check temps with an oven thermometer.....toaster ovens are horribly inaccurate.

I tried the "cheepo" route and had NO luck with good boolits. If you can find a conv at a used store good luck..I spent $100+ for a new one so I could get the older one the wife had.

Now......perfect baked boolits every time!

Good luck!

banger

git_dr1
01-26-2014, 08:48 PM
banger,

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought the $20 toaster oven from Walmart.

catman81056
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
I bought the Oster Digital countertop oven. $59.00 from Walmart. I'm thinking about buying the gun setup from HF. Where do you get this printable coupon?

MrWolf
01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Try this for 25% off @ Harbor Freight:
http://www.dealcatcher.com/coupons_by_merchant/harbor-freight/996726234

git_dr1
01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
The 20% coupon is on harborfreight.com I believe it can be used either online or at a store. The one that I printed off expires tomorrow.

catman81056
01-27-2014, 03:14 PM
I clipped one of the 25% off super coupons out of a magazine and just got back from the HF in Urbana, Il. I bought the gun setup and a jar of white and yellow ( yellow on sale now for $3.99 also) for a total of $61.83. So I'm going to give the ES method a try.

TheCelt
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Try this for 25% off @ Harbor Freight:
http://www.dealcatcher.com/coupons_by_merchant/harbor-freight/996726234

Thanks Pard, worked for an on-line order for me!

MrWolf
01-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Glad I could help