PDA

View Full Version : 310 Tong tools

Bob Busetti
01-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I have a set of Lyman tong tools for the 300 H&H mag with instructions. Any problems using them for this caliber. I bought them at a yard sale on a lark.
Bob

Ben
01-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Don't know what you know about a 310 tool ?

The tool will neck size your 300 H & H only.
So..........rounds will have to be put back into the same rifle that they had been fired in previously.

Do you have the complete die set.

* Decapping / neck sizing die.
* Primer seating die.
* Bullet seating die.

Green Frog
01-25-2014, 07:23 PM
If you are starting from scratch with the 310 tool, go to the Cast Pics banner at the bottom of the page and click on it, then follow the prompts to get to the reference section on 310 tools. IIRC, there is a scan of the original 310 instruction sheet in there somewhere. If you can't find it, drop me a PM and I'll try to scan one for you and send it by e-mail (be sure to send my your e-mail address if you need to have me do this. The 300 H&H is pushing the envelope for the capacity of your 310, but I have loaded 45-70 on mine, so I'm sure it will work OK... just remember what Ben said about not being able to FL size with it. If you can't tell, I have a soft spot in my heart (or head?) for the 310s.

Froggie

Bob Busetti
01-25-2014, 08:07 PM
All parts are there, including instructions. My 721 is touchy about what it's fed. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Bob

Green Frog
01-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Just in case you weren't aware of it, Lyman also made full length sizing dies that were intended to be used with a hammer or vise to push in the cases, and a steel rod to drive them back out. Common calibers like 30-36 are common, but it might be worth your while to see if you can find the die for your 300 H&H, if for no other reason than the cool factor.

Regards,
Froggie

Bob Busetti
01-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Got one of those too. Neat to have. Got a set of RCBS dies that work great, I had some Herters dies, worked so-so. When i got new cases about 15 years ago I stopped having problems with cases not coming out of the chamber. Anyway, just curious about the tong tool setup.
Thanks for all the help. I may put the tong tool set up for sale.
Bob

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-02-2014, 02:23 AM
I spent 4 months of my discretionary income last summer on a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H. I would absolutely L-O-V-E to purchase the entire set, including handle from you if you choose to part with it. That would be a really neat accessory for my rangebox.

You can PM me if you prefer.

Rich

Bob Busetti
02-03-2014, 07:40 PM
PM sent. I'm flexable on the price.