PDA

View Full Version : tru line jr questions

Budweiser Bill
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
i have been tinkering with a later model TL jr i picked up off fleabay about a year ago. i replaced the turret plate with a 4 hole 7/8 one, and made a handle out of a chunk of rod. the rod turned out to be too weak, so a member of another forum sent me his old dillon lever, which after many nights of filing and killing beers, fits like a glove. its all ready to go to work for me now, and i have a few questions for anyone who might know.

#1 is there a way around the crappy lyman shell holder adapter? mine didnt want to seat all the way down, and i dont like the setscrew, it would be nice if there was something more convenient to remove.

#2 i have the higher leverage model, am i supposed to adjust it to cam over or not?

#3 when i took it apart to clean and lube, i noticed the bottom arms of the linkage are able to be used in 2 different positions, are the differ3nt positions for more and less leverage?does it make a difference?

#4since i have a giant lever on mine, from a dillon 550, at rest the press is at the up position. with a factory lever, will it stay up when the press isnt in use?

#5has anyone mounted theirs on any type of riser mount? i was thinking of welding one up, because of how small it is

#6 is it askingtoo much t o fl resize 225 and 22/250 on this press?

Wayne Smith
01-25-2014, 06:55 PM
To answer your last question, yes it is asking too much of it to full length size anything other than pistol boolits. The 310 dies are designed to neck size only and you need to stay with that. That is why Lyman made the full length dies to use in a vice.

Yes, there is a way around the Lyman shell holder adapter. Get the J shell holders that were made for it!

I'll let others who know more answer the rest of your questions.

Budweiser Bill
01-25-2014, 07:05 PM
ok, good to know! i guess ill be shopping for some neck dies, as i dont want to ruin it.

you wouldnt happen to know what size j holders i would need for a 22-250, would you?

Green Frog
01-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Budweiser Bill, first off, if you try to make the little TrueLine Jr into an All American, you will be disappointed. Note the size compared to all of the "grown up" presses you see out there and give it tasks that are in scale with its size. I love to use mine in original configuration to load pistol cartridges (especially little 32s and 38s) and to load straight case rifle cases like 32-40 and 45-70. As much as you are buying for and adding to that press, it would be worth your while to get the proper J-type shell holders you need for loading the cases you want... for instance, the #2 is one of the most common and it will fit your 22/250 IIRC. Isn't the 225 sort of 30-30 with a shaved-down rim? If so, a #6 might work for you there. If you are going to neck size those big cases only, or won't have to size them extensively to go FL, then the TL Jr will probably work OK, but you'll be pushing it. At the risk of sounding rude or nosey (but you asked the question) why do you want to try to take a little press and then raise it up, convert its head and shell holder, and use it like a big one? Seems counterintuitive to me. :???:

Froggie

44Vaquero
01-25-2014, 08:13 PM

BB:

The Tru-Line Jr., is a fantastic little press in own right. It is light small and handy, but it is not a super strong press. Yes, you have to ADJUST dies to avoid cam-over or you will brake the press.

I have converted mine to use 7/8 x 14 dies for use with straight walled pistol calibers only, currently set up semi permanently for .32 magnum. Some purists do not care for the change to 7/8 x 14 tool head, It does not bother me. You need to remember the press was designed for neck sizing only of rifle cartridges.

You will be better off using the J-style shell holders designed for the press.

A pause for the COZ
01-26-2014, 03:01 AM
I have two of them. One with the 7/8x14 head. I use that almost exclusively to load 32 Longs with.
The 2nd is set up with 310 30-30 dies.
I do size and prime on a single stage, but I have it set up for my 30-30 cast load and it stays that way.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8491.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8469.jpg

Budweiser Bill
01-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Budweiser Bill, first off, if you try to make the little TrueLine Jr into an All American, you will be disappointed. Note the size compared to all of the "grown up" presses you see out there and give it tasks that are in scale with its size. I love to use mine in original configuration to load pistol cartridges (especially little 32s and 38s) and to load straight case rifle cases like 32-40 and 45-70. As much as you are buying for and adding to that press, it would be worth your while to get the proper J-type shell holders you need for loading the cases you want... for instance, the #2 is one of the most common and it will fit your 22/250 IIRC. Isn't the 225 sort of 30-30 with a shaved-down rim? If so, a #6 might work for you there. If you are going to neck size those big cases only, or won't have to size them extensively to go FL, then the TL Jr will probably work OK, but you'll be pushing it. At the risk of sounding rude or nosey (but you asked the question) why do you want to try to take a little press and then raise it up, convert its head and shell holder, and use it like a big one? Seems counterintuitive to me. :???:

Froggie
i just never really thought of 225 and 22/250 as LARGE rifle cases i guess, and the goal was to have the dies set up permanently in the press so i only had to change the shellholder.

HeavyMetal
01-26-2014, 12:09 PM
in the end your not going to be happy doing rifle rounds on the little tru line, sooner or later your going to pick up range brass that won't fit your gun and you'll need to full length resize.

You will note that in every picture posted of a loading bench that there is more than one press mounted!

Hunt around and you can find a good used Lee Challanger for cheap if your patient buy it and do you FL sizing in it.

You can also use that for the Collet Neck sizing die which is a much better die for what you need but has to be used in an O or C type press.

s1120
01-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Green Frog, I didn't know it would load a 45-70. I did not think there was enough space between the holder and the die. I like mine but I only do 38/357 for now.

Budweiser Bill
01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
i just passed my older challenger onto a friend looking to start reloading, i have a lee classic cast 2ft over from the truline, i decap everything in that, and use it for my 3006 and 3040.

ps, can i come shoot with you? you must have one heck of a range, if you are getting 225 winchester cases off the ground!

Green Frog
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
i just never really thought of 225 and 22/250 as LARGE rifle cases i guess, and the goal was to have the dies set up permanently in the press so i only had to change the shellholder.

Budweiser Bill, I regard cases based on the 30-30 and 30-06 as large cases compared to the pistol class rifle cases like the 32-20, but thats just my frame of reference with the little TL Jr... but then again, I can and do break my own "rule" and load 32-40 (which is the same case family as the 30-30) and the big fat 45-70, but both with minimal neck sizing only. Don't let me discourage you from using the TL Jr, but just be aware of its physical limits and enjoy it within them. I'll probably use the one (of several I own) the most that is dedicated to 32 S&W Long and perhaps 32 H&R Mag, and even then will probably FL size as needed on a "big" press. That's my story, you can make yours with your own TL Jr.

Regards,
Froggie

Budweiser Bill
01-27-2014, 01:15 AM
no problem, i was leaving the lee CC to dedicated 30-06, i guess i need some neck dies for the tru line, and when they wont fit anymore, run them thru an fl in the CC....

Green Frog
01-27-2014, 09:14 AM
no problem, i was leaving the lee CC to dedicated 30-06, i guess i need some neck dies for the tru line, and when they wont fit anymore, run them thru an fl in the CC....

My sediments exactly. There's an old RCBS Jr single stage bolted to my bench for FL sizing of about anything that needs it. For gently seating and lightly crimping lead bullets into just about any case, the TruLine Jr. is the bees knees! ;)

To s1120; I have an original J-type shell holder for 45-70 (#17?) for my TL Jr, and it requires a little manipulation to get a long bullet started into the case, but OAL is otherwise not a problem. Sometimes I resort to putting the bullet up into the die, then adding the case to the shell holder and bringing down the bullet. As I type this, it sounds more difficult and complicated than it is. :D

Froggie

Budweiser Bill
01-27-2014, 10:29 AM
i loaded a few rounds of neck sized 3006 that way, total pita getting the bullet aligned inserting it into thedie and twisting down.....prolly easier with a 4570.....

Char-Gar
01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
The Tru-Line Jr. is what it is, a nifty light press to reload handgun rounds and neck size rifle cases and reload them as well. Tru-Line Jr/310 dies are well made, do the job and are available in many calibers on Ebay and other places, but the prices are going up.

It is not a good or fruitful idea to try and upgrade the rig into something it was not designed to do. If is not all that hard to bust the press.