PDA

View Full Version : Scored 21 lbs Varget

xman777
01-25-2014, 12:51 PM
I went to the local GS today and came out 21lbs heavier!

Hickory
01-25-2014, 12:55 PM
You may have come out of the gun store with a -0- sum gain.
My guess would be the money you left behind weighted about 21 lbs.

osteodoc08
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
All from the same lot I hope.

338RemUltraMag
01-25-2014, 01:18 PM
This is why we cant find any, the next person who blames the government, please direct them to this thread.

Red River Rick
01-25-2014, 01:36 PM
We have a section for POWDER...............this section is for SWAGING.

dondiego
01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
What is wrong with buying 21 pounds of powder? I usually buy four, 8 pound kegs at a time.

357maximum
01-25-2014, 04:10 PM
This is why we cant find any, the next person who blames the government, please direct them to this thread.

C'mon now that is only about 5,444 223-50gr loads worth of propellant.....that is not hoarding is it?

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2014, 04:18 PM
C'mon now that is only about 5,444 223-50gr loads worth of propellant.....that is not hoarding is it?

That would put us at about 15,000 Hornets....

Big Z
01-25-2014, 05:48 PM

Not if you shoot much

Jack Stanley
01-25-2014, 06:36 PM
That's about a years worth of practice , it sounds reasonable to me to buy it all at one time so you can keep it all the same lot number .

Use it in good health amigo .

Jack

CastingFool
01-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Get it while you can. You can always trade for something else you need

338RemUltraMag
01-25-2014, 07:56 PM
I have nothing against buying what you can when you can, But some times i get tired of hearing how Obumemer is causing the panic!

xman777
01-25-2014, 07:56 PM
I posted in swaging because everybody knows me here.
I already loaded about 8 pounds worth of 308 and I'm starting to cycle the 223 now.

I'd hardly call it hoarding as these empty cases have been sitting here waiting on me to find some of this Unicorn of a powder.

dverna
01-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Well.....I wonder what 357max would say about the 100 lbs of Promo I have - along with another 80-100 or so lbs of powder that seem to have gotten mysteriously stockpiled in the pole barn. I am on the look out for more too, but waiting to find deals. With a "reasonable" inventory, one can wait for deals and stock up.

Some call it hoarding - some call it planning. At this point "What difference does it make?"

xman, in the words of another famous bitch, "Let them eat cake".

Don Verna

Love Life
01-25-2014, 08:09 PM
I know where all the BLC-2 is....

338RemUltraMag
01-25-2014, 08:10 PM
I posted in swaging because everybody knows me here.
I already loaded about 8 pounds worth of 308 and I'm starting to cycle the 223 now.

I'd hardly call it hoarding as these empty cases have been sitting here waiting on me to find some of this Unicorn of a powder.

it was nothing against you, but it all feeds into itself, the shop guy working will tell the next guy in the shop looking for powder that "some dude bought 21 lb of varget, get what you can afore he comes back"

then he tells the next 10 guys in the shop, they all buy 1 lb minimum and lookie there the cycle continues. It aint your fault it is the mentality of the shooting fraternity.

dverna
01-25-2014, 08:39 PM

It quickly reaches a saturation point. The people buying over priced components are those who did not plan and stockpile. But they are also the ones who can least afford it. People like me stop buying when prices go nuts. Eventually prices come down and we re-enter the market and build up stocks.

I have never understood serious shooters not having an extensive supply of components. It is an unpredictable world and we never know what will happen. Being prepared is being smart.

But people who stockpile also reach a point where unless prices are low we do not buy any more. For example, I have over 100 lbs of Promo. When building up my stock I purchased 2-3 cases (4-6 jugs) at a time (note: I was using 4 jugs per year) . I will not buy Promo for $90/jug as I have a lot of it. If someone offers it at $80 I will pick up a case. If I see it at $75, I will buy another 3 cases - 6 jugs. I can afford to wait until inventory levels are high and prices fall.

People like me are the ones who drive market prices down. People who have to buy are the ones keeping prices up. It is simple market dynamics.

Don Verna

mrblue
01-25-2014, 09:21 PM
I have to agree, this is part of the reason when i got to look for Varget its always gone. Buy a couple and let the rest of us have a chance at it.

ricklaut
01-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Pft. I don't think that's hoarding - it's a nice buy (about 3,275 .308 rounds - a year's worth between my semi auto & my LR bolt gun).

When I can find it, I try to buy 16lbs minimum at a time; for primers, 5k minimum. I try to keep at least a year's worth of 'normal shooting' components on hand, so when we go through these droughts, I'm able to keep on shooting.

338RemUltraMag
01-25-2014, 10:48 PM
I agree with the market, my original (and not well explained point) is it gets old listening to people complain about the government buying everything up.

I have plenty of powder and components to last me, but boy would I like to find and afford 21 lb of H -4198!

As a mold maker I am waiting for the next scare, my shop will run 6 cav 9mm and 223 molds and make a killing. I am all for the free market.

357maximum
01-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Well.....I wonder what 357max would say about the 100 lbs of Promo I have - along with another 80-100 or so lbs of powder that seem to have gotten mysteriously stockpiled in the pole barn. I am on the look out for more too, but waiting to find deals. With a "reasonable" inventory, one can wait for deals and stock up.

Some call it hoarding - some call it planning. At this point "What difference does it make?"

Don Verna

Don

I would say good on you. I read the grasshopper/ant story in school and I oractice that lesson.....my words above were not in purple for a reason......it was not sarcasm. I have my "reserves" stashed so that I can stare at it occassionally....makes me feel like a very warm and well fed grasshopper.

dragon813gt
01-25-2014, 10:58 PM

I wonder what your local fire code says about that quantity? That's what you have to worry about more than anything else.

357maximum
01-25-2014, 11:00 PM
I have to agree, this is part of the reason when i got to look for Varget its always gone. Buy a couple and let the rest of us have a chance at it.

Keep a reserve hidden in the back of your wallet...when you find what you need....BUY IT......it is really that simple. One pound jugs are for load development....they make 8lbers for things you shoot often and for damn good reason. My powder cabinets are full....might have to install another and I have bought less than 3 lbs of powder since the "crunch" began. It's effects are minimal if you have any sort of PLANNING PLAN in place.

jaysouth
01-25-2014, 11:05 PM
I went to the local GS today and came out 21lbs heavier!

Xman,

I have heard it was illegal to store more than five pounds of powder in PA. Send the rest of it to me and I will keep it safe for you in TN. I said safe, nothing about returning it.:wink:

Teddy (punchie)
01-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Just funny!! Reading about powder kegs, was looking at a old Hogdons manual, Sizes were 1, 3-5, 8 and 50 kegs.

Big Z
01-25-2014, 11:14 PM
How I would love a 45lb'er of '335

runfiverun
01-26-2014, 02:42 AM
they had 12 pound kegs and 35 and 50 pound drums at one time.
I used to use an old 35 pound drum as a trash can, and my dad still has a 12 pound one in his den.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 02:52 AM
We had several 50lb kegs when I was a kid we used up, mostly H4350, and H4895

762 shooter
01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
To the OP: You go girl!

It seems to some that if you bought your powder in 21 lb increments 2 years ago, it's alright.

If you buy it now in the same amounts, you are a hoarder.

I'll stand by my observation: Whenever you hear the terms hoarder, gouger, scalper, it's because you have something that they want and do not have.

jonp
01-26-2014, 09:52 AM
That's about a years worth of practice , it sounds reasonable to me to buy it all at one time so you can keep it all the same lot number .

Use it in good health amigo .

Jack
^^I agree

jonp
01-26-2014, 09:53 AM
they had 12 pound kegs and 35 and 50 pound drums at one time.
I used to use an old 35 pound drum as a trash can, and my dad still has a 12 pound one in his den.

Post a picture of the drum. Thats cool and I wish I could find one.

osteodoc08
01-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Keep a reserve hidden in the back of your wallet...when you find what you need....BUY IT......it is really that simple. One pound jugs are for load development....they make 8lbers for things you shoot often and for damn good reason. My powder cabinets are full....might have to install another and I have bought less than 3 lbs of powder since the "crunch" began. It's effects are minimal if you have any sort of PLANNING PLAN in place.

This is exactly what I do. Every time I go to Wally World I pull out an extra $20 at checkout, stash it and when I find something, like the 2 pounds of 2400 last week, I buy it. I don't have the cash to buy cases of powder, but if I find a deal on a keg, I'll snatch it up. I'd like to find a keg of CFE223, but the prices are still too high.

Hopefully later this summer I can get restocked on a few things from powder valley. Still running strong on primers as I have 2 ammo cans full. I typically enjoy shooting my revolvers the most, then my AR and then my target rifles. Last time I looked I had 24 or 25 pounds of various powders. Mostly for small cased rifle and magnum pistol.

I agree with being prepared. I already told my fiancé that if Hillary runs for 2016, I'm for sure socking away a few more AR's and caches of powder and primers.

Down South
01-26-2014, 11:04 AM
I find powder pretty easy. Just one pic from my local guy. He has more stashed in other places.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
I find powder pretty easy. Just one pic from my local guy. He has more stashed in other places.

How much does he get per pound? I am completly out of powder.

jonp
01-26-2014, 12:58 PM
That is the best powder shelf at a lgs I've seen in some time. The lgs up home I went into had nowhere near that selection but did have a dozen or more 1lb bottles of 2400. I picked one up in October and another when I got home Christmas. If I go home again soon Ill get another one.

I would be hard pressed not to buy that 8lb jug of both Trailboss and Promo

Down South
01-26-2014, 01:50 PM
How much does he get per pound? I am completly out of powder.
Actually, I "Believe" that his prices are pretty good. I took the pic when I went by to shoot the breeze and pick up some 22 rim fire.
I don't buy much powder but I did buy 8 lbs of Bullseye and a pound of HP-38 to try out from him. His prices were just more than PV then.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Interesting. I need some powder for my 45 Colt since thats what I shoot the most. Maybe ill work my way over to where you are at once ai get a couple of pay checks.

zomby woof
01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Good score. I love Varget.

Down South
01-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Interesting. I need some powder for my 45 Colt since thats what I shoot the most. Maybe ill work my way over to where you are at once ai get a couple of pay checks.
Give me a heads up if you do decide to do that. I'll give the guy a call for availability and pricing.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Ok. Sounds like a plan!

jonp
01-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Don Verna
Darn Don, I thought I was doing pretty good with the 20lbs of Promo on my shelf

starmac
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
It is impossible to buy that much powder here at one time. Of the two stores we have, one has a 2 pound limit, the other one limit you to 3 pounds a day. When they get a big shipment in you may get two days limit on some unpopular powders but even rare at that. I have lucked out and had my wife with me at the time and got two limits, but have several times drove home (less than 5 miles, all highway) and drove straight back with her and come up empty. A friend was scary low on 2400 here while back, when they finally got some of the elusive stuff in, I got the 2 pound limit, drove home and got the wife and just lucked out as she got the last pound of it.
Both stores have a 1 jug limit of 4 or 8 pounders. but it has been extremely rare to see one of any kind the last couple of years.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
It is impossible to buy that much powder here at one time. Of the two stores we have, one has a 2 pound limit, the other one limit you to 3 pounds a day. When they get a big shipment in you may get two days limit on some unpopular powders but even rare at that. I have lucked out and had my wife with me at the time and got two limits, but have several times drove home (less than 5 miles, all highway) and drove straight back with her and come up empty. A friend was scary low on 2400 here while back, when they finally got some of the elusive stuff in, I got the 2 pound limit, drove home and got the wife and just lucked out as she got the last pound of it.
Both stores have a 1 jug limit of 4 or 8 pounders. but it has been extremely rare to see one of any kind the last couple of years.

Somebody Jelious? Lol

starmac
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Not really, the way they do it here sucks in a way, but it at least give more people a chance to get some, with the limited amount we have coming in. the limit when one does find what he needs will take care of a hunter for several years.

dverna
01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
starmac,

Try and get others to go with you on a bulk buy and order a $hit load when the supply issue subsides. I have no problem buying 48 lbs at a time but not everyone can afford to do that.

Once you have a "safety stock" you still keep buying as you use it and stock up on deals when they happen. The mistake most people make is using up their safety stock when prices are reasonable because they are too lazy, or want the money for other things.

I was not aware of the purple type thingy.

Don Verna

Lizard333
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Looks like a good "start". Let us know when you get a great pile😎

I got looks when I cleaned Bruno's out of the powder I use the day after Obummer got re-elected. They wondered what was urgency.

I'm only 33 but even I could read the writing on the wall. Didn't take long, and I haven't bought powder since.

When I stocked up on 22LR a few years back they had pallets of it at cabellas. 16$ a brick was a good price, and they certainly weren't going to go down in price. Back then I was prepared, now some say horder, but like others, I haven't bought a anything in the last year.

Those that didn't prepare can pay.

Really, I feel bad for the guys that would only occasionally shoot and pick up a box of 22 on the way to the range. Those of us that reload, are usually in good shape.

TheGrimReaper
01-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Hey, if you can afford it and use it. I say Go for it!!!

John Allen
01-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Good score. Good for you.

starmac
01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Dverna I don't shoot near as much as a lot of guys, so am in no kind of a bind for anything. There are plenty to do group buys up here, when large amounts are available, no problem there. The way shipping is a guy really needs to order 100 pounds at a time to make it work out.

barnabus
01-31-2014, 09:19 PM
That why people can't find powder at their local shop cuz some shooters care more about themselves than the sport.

dragon813gt
01-31-2014, 09:29 PM
That why people can't find powder at their local shop cuz some shooters care more about themselves than the sport.

Um, if I can't shoot then I'm not part of the sport. People get mad when someone has what they want and can't get. Buy what you can afford anytime you get a chance. This goes w/ most things in life. Like when toilet paper is on sale. You will use it up so buy when it's cheap. I don't buy into "for the kids" or "for the sport" arguments. To be brutally honest I care more about shooting myself then others that I don't know. But it's been this way since well before the current supply problems.

DLCTEX
01-31-2014, 09:55 PM
I have a drum that contained 50 lbs. 4831 originally and still had 27 lbs. When I bought it from a widow. Still has 17 lbs. in it. Still good powder and she said it had been in her garage for 25 years since her husband passed.

Down South
01-31-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a drum that contained 50 lbs. 4831 originally and still had 27 lbs. When I bought it from a widow. Still has 17 lbs. in it. Still good powder and she said it had been in her garage for 25 years since her husband passed.
4831, that powder has a lot of history behind it, from 4831 to H4831 and IMR 4831, Two different powders but close. I've burned a number of lbs of the IMR 4831 through the years.

dverna
02-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Um, if I can't shoot then I'm not part of the sport. People get mad when someone has what they want and can't get. Buy what you can afford anytime you get a chance. This goes w/ most things in life. Like when toilet paper is on sale. You will use it up so buy when it's cheap. I don't buy into "for the kids" or "for the sport" arguments. To be brutally honest I care more about shooting myself then others that I don't know. But it's been this way since well before the current supply problems.

I am 100% with dragon on this. I planned, I made the investment, I made the space to store the stuff. I had "friends" laugh at me (or worse) when I bought it all.

Yes it is about ME, ME, ME!!!!! No more selfish than it being about YOU, YOU, YOU - except I don't raise the BS argument about "the good of the sport".

I have helped out good friends who were caught short. We shoot together as well as socialize. But they do not abuse the friendship and only ask for what they really need. Once I get down to my "safety stock" I will stop doing that too.

Don Verna

olafhardt
02-02-2014, 02:16 AM
I am surprised at how much some of you guys shoot. I am not criticizing, I am just surprised. I like to shoot and I like to cast and reload. I buy one pound of powder at a time and cast out of a four pound Lee pot. In my social circle I am treated as the guru of guns. I was prepared for the current dark ages by haveing one extra pound of Unique and an extra brick of bulk Federals. I shoot , cast and reload what I want to when I want to and I buy supplies a little ahead. This is called liberty. When someone says you should not buy all that powder it sounds the same as when someone else says you should not buy that assault rifle. I don't have one of them either and don't want one but I have the urge to buy every tubular magazine 22, Police Positive, J frame Smith with a hammer, Manlicher stocked rifle, Winchester 94 etc that I see. My son just picked up a nice 458 Winchester, since we drove around town looking for ammo and did not find any I guess it is Obamas fault. If you think you need to stockpile have at it.

gmsharps
02-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Depending on what I am shooting I buy a larger quantity of powder to get the same lot number for my competition ammo. Usually enough to get by a shooting season. I buy primers in the quantity to get the best price. Sometimes several of us will get together and by a large quantity of powder and primers to cut the price and then split it up. I have several other types of powder to work with in load development and once I find out what load that firearm likes then buy accordingly. I probably have 15 different kinds of 22 lr that are used to find out what a particular rifle likes then put up the rest for the next test.

gmsharps

butch2570
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Thats is totally uncalled for....

olafhardt
02-03-2014, 12:41 AM
What is uncalled for?