PDA

View Full Version : SBH Rear sight

01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
I had a 10.5 inch SBH .44 S.S. as a kid and traded it off. Last week I ordered a new one. Very nice gun shot it a little yesterday the cylinder pin worked forward a couple times with heavier loads. But it stopped that after a couple cylinders full. I'll keep and eye on that to see if it needs to go back to Ruger. Unless someone knows an easy "correct fix". I noticed the rear sight can be pushed side to side. I've noticed this with several adjustable Ruger sights. It seams to have a sloppy fit on the front of the sight where the pin goes through. Is there a fix for that? Or will it just center its self.

C. Latch
01-25-2014, 11:20 AM
You can remove the pin and bend it slightly to tighten it up, but that won't eliminate all the slop. You can also shim the sides of the sight, with fine-gauge strands of copper, or aluminum foil, or you could put a drop of tin solder or epoxy on each side of the sight recess, then file away the excess.

I started down that road when I noticed that my sight was moving enough to not hold zero. Before I got too far I broke the flimsy blade on the ruger factory rear sight, and ordered a Bowen rough country rear sight.

The moment I finished installing it I was convinced that any and all future ruger revolvers would immediately receive a similar upgrade. It's wonderful, the adjustments are exact and once they're in place you can lock them and they're not going to move. I am much, much happier with my ruger now that it wears a better sight.

Someone could make a good living taking stock ruger single actions, swapping front and rear sights, doing trigger jobs, honing cylinder throats and fire-lapping barrels, and selling them as 'accurized' revolvers. I love my ruger, it's a continuation of a love affair that started 30 years ago when my grandpa let me shoot his .41 and .45 blackhawks, but they are not 'finished' from the factory.

Shuz
01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
[Quote] Very nice gun shot it a little yesterday the cylinder pin worked forward a couple times with heavier loads. But it stopped that after a couple cylinders full. I'll keep and eye on that to see if it needs to go back to Ruger. Unless someone knows an easy "correct fix".[Quote]

That problem can easily be corrected by installing an after market base pin from Belt Mountain. I have a KS458N that had that problem and easily corrected it with a new pin. They are about $20.00 IIRC.

429421Cowboy
01-25-2014, 02:33 PM
I was about to say Belt Mountain too Shuz, they are made right down the road from me. I believe they are $20 + 5 shipping and well worth it, and they come in so many styles just about anybody could find one they are happy with!

historicfirearms
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Second vote for the Bowen Rough Country rear sight.

seaboltm
01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Second vote for the Bowen Rough Country rear sight.

Third. Ruger's are know for this problem. The pin problem is easy to solve. The rear sight moving side to side is much harder to solve without going aftermarket.

rlb
01-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Get a Wolff extra power base pin latch spring. It's the cheaper way to start. If that don't fix it then you could order the base pin.

C. Latch
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Get a Wolff extra power base pin latch spring. It's the cheaper way to start. If that don't fix it then you could order the base pin.

(Warning: the following is based on what I have read, not personal experience)

As I understand it, while the BM base pin *will* tighten things up, the slop inherent in the factory pin can actually be a good thing, because if cylinder holes are slightly out of alignment (as will certainly be the case with at least one hole on any given ruger cylinder), a tighter base pin can actually stop them from being pushed into alignment by the bullet passing from cylinder to forcing cone during the shot.

Apparently, this can cause uneven wear on the forcing cone and can make the revolver LESS accurate.

I have no idea if the above is true, but I have read it in many different places on the internet, and decided to forego the aftermarket base pin. Since then I've found one load for my 5.5" Bisley that will shoot into 3/4" or less at 25 yards. I have a hard time believing a better base pin would improve that, though it certainly *could* help other revolvers where specific tolerance stackings were different than my own.

JMtoolman
01-25-2014, 07:41 PM
If you remove the rear sight from the revolver, and place the top of the sight upside down on a smooth steel block. A light tapping with a ball peen hammer on the rear of the bottom, right on the edge of the sight base on both sides. This will raise a small burr on the sides of the sight. Try it in the slot to see if you moved enough material to make the sight sliding tight fit in the slot. If you made too much of a burr a file will remove a tiny bit, until the sight fits without excessive movement. Since it is on the bottom of the sight it is not visible and will tighten up the sight. Just takes a few minutes and it's done. Ruger should make them fit better! This is quick easy and doesn't involve any replacement parts. The toolman.

01-26-2014, 11:19 AM
The rear sight pin was walking out so I applied some Lock Tite. That seams to have filled the gaps and tightened things up for now. I'll shoot it and if I need to I'll try the suggestions above. There is the chance that I'll mount a good scope or red dot on it also.
Thanks 161

FLHTC
01-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Often the cut on the base pit that the latch rides in isn't deep enough. Belt Mountain is a nice base pin but I like my Rugers original. I use a Dremmel tool to deepen many of the divots in my base pins and they stopped walking out as a result.

01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
I just slugged the bore, it's .429. I can take a Hornady .430 bullet and it drops through all the throats. The little I shot it, it clover leafed several times @ 25 yards off sand bags with 6.8 of Red Dot and the Lee 240 .430 SWCTL.