PDA

View Full Version : Tac1 temps

gutpile
01-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Tac1 how cold will it go with no cold bore flyers? it is now -16 here!!!!! or do i just stay in and not hunt?

:grin:

btroj
01-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Depends. I don't use that lube but I can tell you that my Marlin 45-70 doesn't show cold barrel flyers at any temp I have shot it yet my 32-20 does at temps under 50.

My personal opinion is that the fatter and heavier a bullet is the less it is affected by cold barrel flyers.

Only way to know for sure is to shoot a few groups in cold weather. Most of my cold barrel flyers were an inch or two out at 100, not enough to miss a deer by any means. If you are hunting squirrels, good luck.

brotherdarrell
01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
At 40 and below I am getting some squirrely first shot fliers. As the barrel warms up the groups tighten up. This is with a 223 AR around 2400 fps. In warmer weather it works great.

Darrell

gutpile
01-25-2014, 06:14 PM
I will be using in a 44 mag rifle.......

randyrat
01-25-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm having problems with my right hand trigger finger in the extreme cold so I have not been able to shoot much in -10 & -20 this year, it goes completely numb. I'm shooting good Bullseye 22 but it is inside.
In the past I did not see extreme cold barrel fliers using TAC1. Using the 44 mag there should be no problems. I do not know about the 5.56 there are so many variables, that teeny weenie bullet screaming down that coooold barrel could be a problem, a lot of "depends".

btroj
01-26-2014, 12:34 AM
44 mag should be fine.

223 I would expect to have issues like no other.

Like I said, I find it to be caliber and bullet weight related, these two examples are on the extreme ends of things.

brotherdarrell
01-26-2014, 02:20 AM
It was really interesting. I went to the range on christmas eve with temps in the mid 40's and a slight breeze. I was shooting 5 shot groups at 100 yds with each shot coming as soon as I could get set back on target. First three shots were about 3/4", fourth shot opened up to an inch and the fifth shot would be high with a group about 1 1/2". It did this consistently.

On christmas day I shot again with the same exact loads but this time temps were in mid 30's with a little stiffer breeze. The first shot would be about 2" from poa, second shot would be an inch or so out and then the next three would group right where I wanted.

I can only figure that as the barrel warmed up the lube started working better. This has happened on three different trips in the last month.

With the 30-30 temp doesn't seem to make much difference.

Darrell