PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Remington small pistol primers anyone?

tazman
01-24-2014, 10:49 PM
I have been having issues with some Remington small pistol primers in my 9mm and 38 special recently.
When I load anything above a midrange load in my 9mm I get flattened and pierced primers about 20 percent of the time.
Same story with the 38 special but only with max loads.
When I switched brands of primers to winchester or cci I had no issues at all.
I am certain this is a soft batch of primers. I will just use then in my light 38 loads.
It is just a pain that they are failing with relatively low pressure loadings.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Frank46
01-24-2014, 11:39 PM
I had to replace the firing pin on my 92fs due to it becoming pitted by gas cutting when shooting rem-umc 9mm ammo. This was about 8 years back and have stopped using remington primers and switched to winchester for everything. Frank

steve4102
01-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Rem 1 1/2 or Rem 5 1/2?

The 1 1/2 have a very thin cup and are not to be used in high pressure rounds like the 40 and 357Sig.

From Remington.

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

Link.

http://support.remington.com/General_Information/Can_primers_be_used_interchangeably%3F

I contacted Rem awhile back and asked it this warning was also meant for the 9mm as it runs at the same pressure as the 40. They said, no as the 9mm is loaded to a lower pressure than the 40 and the Sig. HUH?

DRNurse1
01-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Rem 1 1/2 or Rem 5 1/2?

The 1 1/2 have a very thin cup and are not to be used in high pressure rounds like the 40 and 357Sig.

From Remington.

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

Link.

http://support.remington.com/General_Information/Can_primers_be_used_interchangeably%3F

I contacted Rem awhile back and asked it this warning was also meant for the 9mm as it runs at the same pressure as the 40. They said, no as the 9mm is loaded to a lower pressure than the 40 and the Sig. HUH?

Thanks for this information! I picked up some Remington 5 1/2 primers during the shortage and was not sure how I could use them. Looks like they will be the go-to guys for my 9MM rounds.

Do the thinner cups have anything to do with the proliferation of striker-fired guns?

Any one know if the 'military primers' suffer the same issues (found 10K at an unbeatable price but am unsure of their best application)?

Any word on the LPP's being thinner?

Thanks in advance. I am not trying to hijack this thread but think these are related points of information.

Taylor
01-25-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm getting a lot of misfires in my 7-1/2 BR primers.My WSR and CCI,no problem.

steve4102
01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm getting a lot of misfires in my 7-1/2 BR primers.My WSR and CCI,no problem.

Rem 7 1/2 is all I use in my 221, 223/5.56 and Grendel. Never had a single misfire in thousands and thousands of rounds.

Do these misfires go "Bang" on the second or third attempt?

Scharfschuetze
01-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Do the thinner cups have anything to do with the proliferation of striker-fired guns?

If by "striker fired" you mean the Glock and similar pistols, I don't think so. The Remington 1 1/2 primer has been around for some time and my use of it predates my first striker fired pistol, a Glock 17 (about 1985) by at least a decade.

As noted above, it is for standard pressure cartridges. For the 32 S&W, 32/20 and the 38 Special, it is a very good primer.

tazman
01-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Rem 1 1/2 or Rem 5 1/2?

From Remington.

Link.

Interesting. That would explain the punctured and blown primers then as I was using the 1 1/2. I have several loading manuals that used the Remington 1 1/2 in their 9mm load data. I wonder what gives with that.

Shiloh
01-26-2014, 10:37 AM
None whatsoever with them. Been using Winchester and CCI as those are the ones most frequently used. Federal is the next on my primer list.
Remington primers are not usually stocked where I get my supplies.

Shiloh

jonp
01-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I've had no problem with mine although I have only gone through near one sleeve of them and usually buy something else. I am not overly fussy with mine and interchange them at random but I am not a benchrest shooter either.

captaint
01-26-2014, 02:09 PM
It's been a long, long time since I've seen Rem primers in stock anywhere. I do have a few hundred, but they're pretty old. I think I used to use the BR primers in my 6BR XP-100. Can't say I used them for anything else !! Mike