PDA

View Full Version : Can an Arbor press make revolver grip emblems

Swagerman
08-31-2005, 01:06 PM
I would like to find a good compound leverage press that can punch out thin coin size disk for revolver grip emblems.

My question is, can an Arbor press do this kind of thin metal stamping work. I've never used an Arbor press so don't know how they would work.

Can anyone recomend a press or source who can supply me one.

Swagerman

waksupi
08-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Swagerman, some years back, I saw a stamping unit, from designs by Leonardo Davinci. It was basically an anvil mounted at the bottom, of the proper shape to hold the item to be stamped. There was a weighted striker, that was hoisted about three feet above it. This was all rigged in a wooden frame. I don't remember exactly how the die was set in, but when the upper weight was tripped, it did an excellent clear stamping. You may want to search Da Vinci's designs on the web. I'll bet you could find it. Low budget, effective.

kenjuudo
08-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I would like to find a good compound leverage press that can punch out thin coin size disk for revolver grip emblems.

My question is, can an Arbor press do this kind of thin metal stamping work. I've never used an Arbor press so don't know how they would work.

Can anyone recomend a press or source who can supply me one.

Swagerman

What diameter, thickness and type of material? It may be simpler than you think.

jim

Buckshot
09-01-2005, 03:31 AM
............Don't know about an arbor press, but a hydraulic bench press would! Then as Kenjuudo is possibly alluding to, depending on the strength of the metal to be stamped, you might get by with the die and a 2lb single jack.

.............Buckshot

Swagerman
09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you ever seen a Colt or S&W grip panel emblem on the older models, they are thin on the Colts and maybe little thicker on the S&W.

They are also kind of a round cup affair with a stamped indentation on their tops.

I don't know about a drop hammer type, could I expect uniformity in stamping using that method?

A die stamp would be needed, and a press to to emboss the design upon the thin brass metal disk.

I guess I'm going to need the same press to punch out the disk.

Searched the internet and no success when I tell mfg. what I need.

Swagerman

kenjuudo
09-01-2005, 10:02 AM
PM sent.

jim

KYCaster
09-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Swagerman, check this out.
http://www.buygrommets.com/buygrommets/default.asp

Jerry

Swagerman
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Thank you KYcaster, this looks really promising.

If it can punch out a brass gromet it ought to be able to punch out a medallion grip disk.

I will contact the mfg and see what they say.

Thank you.

Swagerman

Linstrum
09-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Hey, there, Swagerman, that sounds like a neat project ya got goin'! I used to do all this kind of stuff when I ran a jewelry findings manufacturing shop. I made all of my own presses and powered them with hydraulic jacks. You can make your own press frame with two steel plates and four pieces of all-thread rod purchased from an industrial supply. For what you want to do, you could get by with a press made from four 5/8-inch National Coarse (11 threads per inch) all-thread rods 18-inches long, sixteen 5/8" N.C. nuts, two 8-inch square steel plates that are 1/2-inch thick, and a four ton hydraulic jack. The 5/8-inch holes for the rods are drilled one inch in from the edges at the corners so it gives you a platform opening of 5-3/8-inches by 5-3/8-inches That will run your disk punching operation and probably any embossing dies to stamp on the design you have in mind. If the four ton jack won't work then use a six ton. If you go up any higher in tonnage then you will need to add on 3/8-inch thick plates to the 1/2-inch ones you already have as well as replace the 5/8-inch all-thread with 3/4-inch all-thread. For this kind of stuff I usually used a two-ton jack, but I was working with annealed copper and annealed sterling silver sheet about 0.010-inch thick and punching out disks ranging from 5/8-inch in diameter to 7/8-inch in diameter. You didn't mention enough details and specifics about your project for me to offer much more in the way of suggestions, so I hope it will give you an idea about what you need to do to get yourself started. Good luck!

Swagerman
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Sorry to take so long answering some of you gents imput.

Right now I'm in a quandry about getting a stamping die made up, the coin and medallion die makers want a small fortune to create them.

It would run two to four hundred bucks to make the die, then they don't sell it to you...they take a minimum order of 100 stamped emblems and charge you 2 to 3 dollars per emblem.

I need to have someone make the die and sell it to me, then I have controll over how many emblems I need to make up. This is an unproven business venture and no one knows if its going to be successful.

I'm afraid all this technical description about hydraulics and presses is bit daunting to my self. I had hoped the little grommet press here would do the job for about $130, and the dies are around $45-$50...but that is for grommet dies.

Swagerman

Picture of grommet press...

waksupi
09-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Swagerman, do you just need one side stamped? Or two? Tell you what/ I know some real fine engravers. If you would like, I'll put you in touch. When you are done, you will own the stamps. You'll have to do the price haggling, but I imagine you are looking at some fairly small work, if it is for a pistol grip?
How detailed do you need the work to be? This would be a consideration, and would cut down on the possiblities you would have to check out. Some do stuff you need a magnifying glass to see the details, and a couple others do basic, classic type engraving at a very reasonable price. If it a fairly simple design, without a lot of relief work, I may be able to do the engraving for you.

Swagerman
09-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I just need one side stamped, but there are two emblems for each set that go on a revolver...one for each grip panel.

The emblems can be a shallow cup affair of thin barss less than 1/8th of an inch deep...with cup pointing down into the wood panel hole.

Please email me with the information you have on the engraver, I'm at bigcaddy@centurytel.net and appreciate your help on this matter.

BTW, really love Montana, a beautiful state.

Swagerman