PDA

View Full Version : S&W pistol barrel length interchangeability?

mcshot
01-24-2014, 08:26 PM
This was an off topic post in the "new model 66" thread: I have a 66-1 2 1/2" and a local gunsmith has a 4" take off pinned barrel that I was thinking of buying. Haven't talked to him yet and don't even know if a pinned barrel could be installed outside of factory. Also have 27-2 6" and 624 Lew Horton with 4" factory replacement with the 3" in box. The nickle 27-2 has a short barrel in home made box that the previous owner, a sheriff, had either changed or purchased separately. In short, can pinned barrels be installed and be esthetically pleasing like factory? I guess the real question is are the factory pins available?
mc:brokenima

Hickory
01-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I believe the "new model" S&W have two piece barrels, that have a slot in the frame and a tab on the barrel shroud that is used to keep the barrel shroud in place.
I would not hold out much hope that it will work.

mcshot
01-25-2014, 12:18 AM
I have the extra barrels with the exception of the 4" with pin hole. Question involves older gun with pinned barrels.
thanks,
Mc:wink:

HeavyMetal
01-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I've switched barrels on older smiths, pinned type and it comes out nice if you careful putting in the new pin.

I've used drill rod of the correct diameter and cut to length and I've re used the factory pin as well.

Bear in mind a few things: switching barrels has never been "Plug and Play" some fitting has alway been requried usually setting the barrel back which means redrilling the pin hole on the fresh part of the barrel.

If your switching from a snubby barrel to a longer one you'l find the ejector rod is much shorter on the snubby barrel and you'll need to buy the longer rod.

Good luck with that as S&W has about 15 different ejector rods just for K frame guns.

I know this cause I swapped a 2 1/2 inch Model 66 barrel for a nice model 66 6 inch barrel and played hobb getting the correct rod!

So " Careful what you wish for", LOL!