PDA

View Full Version : Lee - lyman handle interchangability?

jbgoodstok
12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Hello - this has probably been asked a dozen times but I can't find it - I have a Lyman mold with no handle - can I use my Lee handles on it - or do I need to get some lyman handles - and better yet large or small for a 44 swc (429421) - thanks for any help - jb:???:

Jon K
12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Lee 6 cavity handles will work on Lyman mould.

Jon

mooman76
12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes the Lee handles for the 6x do fit! If you go with the Lyman the large are for the 2 cavity and small for the single and the large fit a small mould but not the other way around and the Lyman don't fit the Lee. The Lee are allot cheaper!

Scrounger
12-09-2007, 01:03 AM
My question was,"Will Lyman handles work on Lee molds?"

Jon K
12-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Nope, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco will not work on Lee 6 cavity, the jaws are all too short, but the H&G might work, don't have them to check.
Midway has the Lee on sale now $10.99

Jon

dubber123
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Nope, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco will not work on Lee 6 cavity, the jaws are all too short, but the H&G might work, don't have them to check.
Midway has the Lee on sale now $10.99

Jon

I think the H&G handles are thinner than the Lee 6 cav's.

IcerUSA
12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
You can make the Lee handles fit just about any mould you have , one thing I have noticed with the Lee handles is they are canted a little , so when I have a new set I file across them to get them a little more parallel , for the RCBS moulds you will need a grinder to thin them down a tad to fit in the handle groove on them tho .

"DO NOT TRY TO BEND THEM" as they are injected metal of some sort , don't ask how I know this . :)

Keith

DeanoBeanCounter
12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I hope this is not getting to far off subject. Does anyone make their own handles? The wood part is easy enough but the metal part is the challenge. Seems that it could be done at a lot cheaper than buying one using scrap metal.
Deano
:-D

utk
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
How about RCBS moulds, will any other mfgr's handle fit?

I have Lee (6 cav), Lyman, H&G and Saeco moulds with handles but no RCBS - yet...

MT Gianni
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
You can make a Lee fit RCBS by slimming the handles down and redrilling them. It isn't a lot of work but it is probably easier than finding them at your local Swedish gun shop. Thet have to be thined not narrowed. Gianni

lathesmith
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes, Lee handles will fit a Lyman 2-CAVITY mold, but NOT a Lyman 4-CAVITY mold. But, instead of spending $25.00+ for a set of Lyman handles, I simply took an extra set of Lee handles and milled them down until they fit my Lyman 4-Cavity molds. It didn't take that much, and they work just fine.
As Redgreen says, "any tool...can be the right tool."

lathesmith

crabo
12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
So, has anyone tried the Lee on a Ballisticast mold? I guess this would be the same as H&G?

Crabo

exblaster
12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Lee two cavity handles fit H&G two cavity molds but are slightly thinner than H&G handles.

Exblaster

Spillway
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I found this old thread in an attempt to understand the proven solution for handles for double cavity Lyman molds. After studying the Lyman mold handles on evil-bay it's obvious Lyman has changed there design over the years.
Would someone please lend some advice on which handles either in the Lyman or other brand that give the best performance.