PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer options interchange?

JW McCandles
01-24-2014, 06:50 PM
This most likely has been gone over before but as I'm new here I'll ask.
Will the air assist and bullet feeder currently offered for the Magma Engineering Stars fit the older versions made by Star Manufacturing?
I'm looking for a used unit and would like to know if an older version comes up.
Thanks

HATCH
01-24-2014, 07:00 PM
As far as I know they are all the same machine. A family bought the original tooling and design .

JW McCandles
01-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks, that is what I was hoping.
JW

As far as I know they are all the same machine. A family bought the original tooling and design .

6bg6ga
01-25-2014, 08:41 AM
The parts interchange. A new or older bullet feeder will work on ANY of the versions of machine. The air cylinder with the threaded collar will fit either machies.

People are encouraged to read thru the stickies and in the case of the Star/Magma there are a bunch.

cbrick
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I have two of the older Star Mfg sizers and they both have Magma's air cylinder on them.

Rick

JW McCandles
01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Rick; What size are the Magma cylinders? Dia and stroke. Also how are they attached to the lube rod and cylinder?

Thanks
Jeff

I have two of the older Star Mfg sizers and they both have Magma's air cylinder on them.

Rick

cbrick
01-30-2014, 01:04 PM
It just threads together, I never measured the diameter, wasn't any need to. It simply screws onto the threaded top of the lube reservoir & hook up an air line. The stroke matches the length of the lube reservoir.

This may sound like a simplistic answer but it really is that simple. It's made for the lubrisizer and there are no modifications needed. If you see one you'll understand better than I am explaining it.

Rick

6bg6ga
01-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Rick; What size are the Magma cylinders? Dia and stroke. Also how are they attached to the lube rod and cylinder?

Thanks
Jeff

The most common cylinder to use is the SMC PN MCMB106-0600 Which is a 6" stroke cylinder. The cylinder screws into PN S109. You will also need PN AF107, S107, S130, And AF108 in order to put it together.

I personally do not like their piston assembly and have had good luck machining a piston with grooves for two O-rings.

6bg6ga
01-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Check the stickies on the Star/Magma and there is more information on the cylinder change over.

The rod diameter of the SMC cylinder is .312 and the end is threaded 1/4-28 which is a match for the Magma 1" piston.