PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any experience with Wolf Primers?

Dale53
01-24-2014, 05:43 PM
I may have an opportunity to buy Wolf pistol primers. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have not used anything except the major brands while loading several hundred thousand reloads over the past many years. However, with the shortages, I am looking "outside the box".

Dale53

docone31
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I like Wolf brand.

aspangler
01-24-2014, 05:57 PM
I have loaded thousands for 38 357 and 9mm with the Wolf and have never had a misfire yet. If I can find them I use the Wolf in almost every thing I load.

NSB
01-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Good primers. Same as Tula primers. Russian made product of very good quality.

Calamity Jake
01-24-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm on my last 2000 of 10000 in large pistol have had no problems with them.
They are a little hard to seat in some cases but not all.
Just started on a case of LR will see how they go. I have found out that Wolf LR and S&B brass don't mix,
the pockets are not deep enough.

tomme boy
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
I went through about 20K in the last 3 years. Had one dud out of that. All were LP in 45 acp.

Mal Paso
01-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Wolf/Tula are Harder than some, if you have a gun with a light firing pin strike. Some have made the point that it's a military oriented factory and they probably don't change anything for civilian primers.

Reliable but definitely not a soft primer.

Patrick L
01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
I ran through 5k shotshell primers, and 2k each large and small pistol. I was very happy with their performance. I only had one very small problem, on about 5 or 6 large pistol, when I was reloading cases.after they had been loaded and fired with the Wolf primers, when decapping the bottom of the primer cup separated and left the side walls in the primer pocket. I was able to pry it out with a pocket knife and the case was fine. Just happened a few times. Weird.

cricco
01-24-2014, 07:38 PM
I have loaded thousands for 38 357 and 9mm with the Wolf and have never had a misfire yet. If I can find them I use the Wolf in almost every thing I load.

Same here.

Fire_Medic
01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Never had an issue with Wolf myself.

The primers from the last year or so that have been giving me issues is Winchester and I believe some have come slightly out of spec as far as shape but that's an entirely different discussion.

I always try to find Wolf and or CCI before much else personally.

GSM
01-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Several thou Wolf large pistol - not a dud in the bunch.

enfieldphile
01-25-2014, 02:42 AM
Good primers. Same as Tula primers. Russian made product of very good quality.

^^^^^^ this^^^^^^

Fernando
01-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Small rifle were hard to seat also but all went bang and the dogs didn't know the
difference - As long as primers go bang you just have to work up a load.
I think the days of being picky are gone for a while.
That's part of the problems going on.
When people come across something they prefer they lay in a big supply so as not
to be caught out in the future - until everyone stocks up supply will not catch up.

01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
I have used SR,SP,LP. And they are somewhat harder. They don't work well in my Lee Load master because of the primer system it has. But in the Lee 1000 that primes on the down stroke they are fine . Single stage priming they are fine. I just keep them out of the Load Master. I'll buy more when the time comes.

dhain
01-25-2014, 01:28 PM
I've loaded thousands with no issues.

williamwaco
01-25-2014, 01:35 PM
"nuff said"

Buy them while you can get them.

pworley1
01-25-2014, 01:44 PM
I have used them in almost everything I shoot, and never had a problem.

josper
01-25-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm on my last 2000 of 10000 in large pistol have had no problems with them.
They are a little hard to seat in some cases but not all.
Just started on a case of LR will see how they go. I have found out that Wolf LR and S&B brass don't mix,
the pockets are not deep enough. I should think using a uniformer would fix the problem with that brass.

EMC45
01-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I have only had problems with .32 S&W-L cases with Wolf primers. I bottom out the RCBS hand priming tool when I seat them. Today I had one take 3 hits to go off. First time for that. I thought that maybe I didn't press it in far enough when priming, but I know I purposely bottomed each one out. I looked at the primer and it looked as though the firing pin barely hit it. It must have been a hard one. Have had this happen before where they took 2 times to go off, but they always had a very noticeable firing pin hit. I like Wolf primers, they are good. I got some from a kind member here for a very good price and I have been burning through them with no problems other than that super hard one today. I use them in everything but small rifle and magnums. I have LP, SP, and LR. They are all good.

robertbank
01-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Four of us just ordered 17K of them. I tried some out (Dominion made by Tula) and they all went bang in my GP 100. I prefer Federal for competition and at $30.CDN per thousand I just couldn`t let it pass. I will continue to buy Federal when I can but these are a min $10. cheaper per thousand and a further $10 discount when buying 5K it all adds up.

Take Care

Bob

Dale53
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all of the responses, good people. I have my order in, we'll see if I actually get any:roll:

Dale53

Ubet
02-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Many of the shooters in the Cowboy Fast Draw clubs in Northern Nevada have been using Wolf .209 primers for years for competition, and many of them using them are current and past World Champion for the Fastest Gun Alive in CFDA. If the primers weren't good they wouldn't be using them. Adiditionally the Wolf primers were being made that were mercury free.