PDA

View Full Version : 4" Redhawk front sight height

historicfirearms
01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I need a favor from someone that has a 4" redhawk for a project I'm working on. I want to put that style sight on a SRH I'm cutting down, but can't find how tall they are. I need the height from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight.

One other general question. When cutting length off a revolver barrel, will the sight need to be taller or shorter from the barrel centerline?

Mal Paso
01-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Looks like .375" for the Red Insert Ramp. Had to dig it out as I have a Hi Viz Improved Ramp now. Stock sights take a .124" keyway

historicfirearms
01-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Mal Paso, is the Hi Viz sight the same height? That's the one I want, but didn't figure anyone would have one to measure. Thanks!

tek4260
01-25-2014, 09:09 AM
How short are you cutting your SRH? The Redhawk sight on the 4" guns is made to be mounted on the rib of a Redhawk. You going to inlet the top of the barrel shroud on yours and mount it there ala Alaskan?

tek4260
01-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Also, a shorter barrel needs a taller front sight.

historicfirearms
01-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Yes, I am going to cut it down to Alaskan length. I like the look of the slot mounted sight better than the dovetailed, since the fame of the SRH is very wide.

Looks like the 4" redhawk sight will work good. It is about .040" taller from the bore centerline than my stock sight. I've got lots of adjustment up or down with the rear sight too.

Mal Paso
01-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Mal Paso, is the Hi Viz sight the same height? That's the one I want, but didn't figure anyone would have one to measure. Thanks!

Yes within a few thousandths.

I liked the Hi Viz so well I cut one down for the Anaconda.

loveruger
01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Google calculating pistol front sight height. It will tell you how to calculate the front sight height . It worked very well for me . I used it on a old model 44 mag that had the barrel shortened and a taller front sight added.