PDA

View Full Version : po8 luger stove pipe jams

bmortell
01-24-2014, 03:48 PM
probably not best place to ask but im not a member of any other forums and internet search just kinda looks and me funny. nor have i shot cast from this gun but anywho i got a 1917? i believe, po8 luger 9mm in my inheritance line that i shoot from time to time. with all factory ammo ball type or hp about 40% stove pipe jam. was ball ammo more powerfull then to send cases out with more oomph. gun is good condition almost no wear i dont think somethink wore out unless just from being darn near 100 years old. anyone else shoot one of these have any problems or what ammo worked for you?

KCSO
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
First off S spring or Coil spring? If it's a coil spring get a Wolf replacment and very carefully trim it a tad till the cases fly clear. Most of the cheaper modern fmj ammo doesn't recoil the same as the old 124 grain military ammo did. I had to load my 124 grain cast loads fairly warm to work 100% in my Luger.

Hardcast416taylor
01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
This was and still is a common problem that is encountered with the Luger P08 pistol. It takes a tad more power to operate the toggle assembly that to operate most other automatic style pistol. There is nothing broken nor missing to be the cause of this under power problem. Be aware that the Luger is very sensative to dirt and dust that causes alot of the malfunctions like the toggle not working fully or not at all. G.I.`s in WW 2 found this out when carrying their trophy pistols in the original holster - but with the top flap cut off for quick access. Simple fix for this was to wrap the pistol in a large red or O.D. green hankerchief to keep the dirt out of the action. Is this a bring back from WW 2 or WW 1? What are the arsenal markings other than 1917 on the reciever, don`t need or want the serial number.Robert

blpenn66502
01-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Could be the mainspring is a replacement and too heavy. The P08 will also easily stovepipe if it is limpwristed. There is no reason current factory ball shouldn't properly cycle, at least based on my experience. My standard load is 4.5 gr of Unique with 115-125gr plated or cast which is a middle of the road load from Lyman's cast manual and always reliable (unless limpwristed) - with a 100 yo pistol there is no need to batter it any more than necessary.

bmortell
01-24-2014, 04:20 PM
gun is very clean and oiled good. its a ww2 bring back ill get back with more info

bmortell
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
1916 is actual year. on top of action in fancy letters says dwm (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik) 4 digit serial number all parts have 46 on em which is last 2 digits of serial number. proof marks on side of reciever closest resemble military proof marks