PDA

View Full Version : Converting a plain base mold

Steve E
01-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Is it feasible or economical to convert a plain base mold to a gas check mold. I have a plain base mold and you can't get it in a GC design and was wondering about a conversion. What say the experts?

Steve...........

375RUGER
01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm no expert but I do know how to save 15% or more on your car insurance.
If it was cut down to the first GG that might work.
Another option is to use the design software at www.mountainmolds.com and copy it.

Larry Gibson
01-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes, you can mill the PB portion off the top of the mould to the lube groove. The lube groove usually is smaller diameter than a GC shank so it can then be reamed out to the right size for a GC shank. I've seen several done that way quite successfully and believe geargnasher did a 6.5 CM that way.

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
01-24-2014, 03:49 PM
I've seen at least one that had little plates added to the top of the mould blocks in order to "add" a gas check shank. If you are that talented and well-equipped, that may be an option. If you are like the rest of us, a custom mould is probably the only option to change the mould. If I were you, I'd simply email Accurate Molds and ask Tom to cut one to your exact design and specifications.

Another option is to buy or make a plain-base gas check maker. I've shot some plain-based rifle boolits that had soda-can checks installed and despite my skepticism, the worked quite well.

Gear

Catshooter
01-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Steve,

I don't know if you can do this, but I did:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?68205-An-interesting-experiment-in-adding-the-gas-check-feature

Welcome to the forum.

Cat

fcvan
01-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Get a plain based gas CheckMaker from Pat Marlins and use thin soda can aluminum. I've got two for use in 35 and 45 caliber, and am thinking of getting another for 30 cal.

eljefeoz
01-26-2014, 08:52 AM
I've seen at least one that had little plates added to the top of the mould blocks in order to "add" a gas check shank. If you are that talented and well-equipped, that may be an option. If you are like the rest of us, a custom mould is probably the only option to change the mould. If I were you, I'd simply email Accurate Molds and ask Tom to cut one to your exact design and specifications.

Another option is to buy or make a plain-base gas check maker. I've shot some plain-based rifle boolits that had soda-can checks installed and despite my skepticism, the worked quite well.

Gear

Hi Gear,
I have a Ideal type mold in .423 for my .404 Jeffery.It drops at 350 grains.Parallel sided.
Plan is to use the projjies PP.
I have been able to get a manual, 2 step checkmaker machined out from plans I got off here,and they're doing well on the .309 lee, .285 RCBS etc.
Shouldnt be any problem making another for the PP size.
If I want to use gas checks on this PB CB, how would such a projectile be lubricated?
TIA

JeffinNZ
01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Ben has removed a lot of gas check shanks from moulds. Perhaps you can buy them from him. LOL.

MT Gianni
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
You cannot put metal back. As stated above, you can shorten it and add a gc or lengthen it with a gc but you change bearing surface and should not expect the same groups/poi,

country gent
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
A very skilled welder could pre heat and tig a small bead in the it would need to be remachined for the gas check shank. can be done but would cost more than the mold would to be custom made. We did this alot in the trade ( tool maker) repairing die segments and tooling. The only other way would be to machine a pocket to depth fit a couple half rings in and pin them in place then machine the GC shank. Your talking very pressision work in the machining and most likely having to lap the mold after its all done.