PDA

View Full Version : Ambidextrious safety for RIA 1911

Animal
01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I've been interested in installing an ambi-safety for my RIA GI 45acp. I'm curious if the 1911 platform is interchangeable enough that I can pick from brands like Wilson Combat or other makers for this upgrade. It's a series 70 if that helps. Thanks

MBTcustom
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Contact Arnell at Armscorp. He's their gunsmith and will hook you up with those parts for less than $50.
Personally, I think the RIA system is superior to the standard method of tucking a blade under the RH grip panel.
after installing, listen for the clicks, but mine was perfect drop in sweetness.

wv109323
01-24-2014, 08:42 PM
The safety is one thing that needs to be correct for obvious reasons. The safety must not allow any sear movement when on. The test is(with firearm unloaded) cock the hammer, put the thumb safety on, pull the trigger hard, Take the safety off, the hammer should not go to half-cock. If the safety needs to be fit it will not go in the firearm because of interference with the sear or hammer. The safety must also stay in the safe position with a required amount of force to move it from safe to fire and fire to safe. Proceed with caution.

Animal
01-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll give Armscore a call when I'm off next.

MBTcustom
01-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Here's the number:

Arnel Bernardo
Gunsmith
(775) 537 1444

BTW, when I said "listen for the clicks" I was referring to a simple procedure that is used to detect if the safeties are tight enough, or almost trying to let the hammer go.
Similar to what wv109323 mentioned, but a little more sensitive.
Obviously, if the hammer drops to halfcock position like wv109323 says, then you have a really big problem, but if you hear clicks, then you are almost to that point already and may not be aware of it.
Insure the weapon is unloaded and clear.
Cock the hammer.
Engage the thumb safety.
Pull the trigger three times hard and fast, but squeeze the last one extra hard and let the trigger go slowly.
Put the slide to your ear and gently thumb the hammer back just slightly.
If you hear a tiny "click" from inside the gun (not the hammer touching the beavertail or anything obvious) then you have an unsafe gun.
Repeat this procedure with the grip safety. The thumb safety should be off.
There should be no clicks when the hammer is thumbed back after squeezing the trigger for either of them.
That's how you "listen for clicks".

Iowa Fox
01-25-2014, 01:51 AM
Arnel is a fine gentleman that bent over backwards for me about 5 years ago. He went above and beyond excellent customer service, glad to hear he is still there.

MBTcustom
01-25-2014, 02:53 AM
He really is all that and a bag of chips isn't he? I know he was still there last year. I call him up and order new recoil and magazine springs bi-annually and he's always been a real awesome feller.

Animal
01-25-2014, 09:57 AM
I hate the idea of modifying a perfectly good gun, but the ambi-safety has been a priority since I started researching the 1911 (I'd like to get half way decent shooting left handed).
The procedure you listed leads me to think that I should have a professional install it. Would this be considered a pretty simple job that any gunsmith should be able to do? or should I research gunsmiths nation nationwide and be prepared to send it off for a while? Perhaps even sent back to Armscore?

I've been turning wrenches for almost 20 years and now I'm an instructor. I know what it's like to be in that hairy area of a project when it's too late to start over... but not such a great idea to continue on!

deltaenterprizes
01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
With the grip safety removed you can view the thumb sarety/sear relationship and any movement.

MBTcustom
01-25-2014, 11:02 PM
I hate the idea of modifying a perfectly good gun, but the ambi-safety has been a priority since I started researching the 1911 (I'd like to get half way decent shooting left handed).
The procedure you listed leads me to think that I should have a professional install it. Would this be considered a pretty simple job that any gunsmith should be able to do? or should I research gunsmiths nation nationwide and be prepared to send it off for a while? Perhaps even sent back to Armscore?

I've been turning wrenches for almost 20 years and now I'm an instructor. I know what it's like to be in that hairy area of a project when it's too late to start over... but not such a great idea to continue on!

Like I said, when I got mine, it was drop in perfection (astounding coming from a filipino company!) It was perfectly made and I trust it to keep me from blowing a hole in my buttocks every day. I was merely telling you how to make sure that it is perfect, but I think it's a pretty good bet it's going to be perfect. If it isn't, holler at me and I'll see what I can do to get you lined out, or you could holler at Arnel and he can get you hooked up too. No problemo!

roysha
01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
I just HAD to have an ambi safety on my TCM because I wanted the latest and greatest. Got it all installed and discovered because of either the way I grip the gun or the size of my hands I manage to engage the safety at least once per magazine. (Bear in mind that the TCM mag is 17 rounds and the recoil from the TCM is very mild). So now I am going to replace it with just an extended single safety.

I'm sure that this situation is not common but I suspect it is not that uncommon either so if you are right handed you might want to keep my comment in mind.