PDA

View Full Version : Went pistol shopping with wife tonight

DLCTEX
01-24-2014, 12:39 AM
My wife has decided she wants a semi-auto instead of her revolver for concealed carry. I sold her Tarus 82 to a friend and we went shopping tonight. She had thought she wanted a small 380 until trying a friend's little S&W and Bersa and not liking the recoil of the light guns. She has researched and is debating between a S&W M&P Shield and the same in the Compact. After handling both tonight she thinks she likes the Compact in 9MM. She has fired my son's full size and likes how it handles. I tried to get her to buy tonight, but she is going to research more and not rush. I admire her sensible approach to the decision and have just stayed back and let her choose and have been surprised at her logical approach. This is a woman who wasn't into guns until years of marriage to me and raising 5 gun nut sons who have provided two gun nut daughter-in-laws so far. She chose the 9MM for more power over the 380 on her own after asking well reasoned questions. After she got home she handled the Charter 38 Special she is carrying in the meantime and told me she was somewhat embarrassed to not just accept carrying it as it was fine. I assured her that I was 100% in favor of her getting what she wants and would be disappointed if she didn't go for it. Just letting her frugal nature show. Have to get her casting in the future. LOL

acguy45
01-24-2014, 01:01 AM
sounds like you got a good one there mine has come around to. The S&W M&P Shield is a good gun maybe if you had some friends that had different compact/sub compact pistols for her to try out or a nearby range that had rentals for her to try out and compare that would work out good. One good factor the shield has is a larger magazine with an grip sleeve adapter to make practicing with a lot more of an enjoyable /successful venture.

Love Life
01-24-2014, 01:16 AM
My mom carries a S&W M&P 9mm. I believe subcompact. She is 52 years old and 110 pounds, and has no issues with the pistol at all.

DW475
01-24-2014, 01:47 AM
My wife to be is tough to take into any gun store because she likes everything i like and when we buy we have to buy 2 at a time. Starting to cut into my reloading and black powder funds!!!! Wouldn't want her to change though!

Bzcraig
01-24-2014, 02:32 AM
My bride of thirty years didn't really get interested in shooting until about a year ago. Now she is thinking she wants 'her own gun.' That was music to my ears. She likes the simplicity of a wheel gun, has shot autos but is leaning toward a 38 which I like cause of the ease of reloading soft loads she can shoot all day and full power loads for carry. I recall discussions on things pink, but if that is what momma wants, we will get aftermarket pink grips to go along with her pink ear muffs and pink camo range bag she ordered.

CLAYPOOL
01-24-2014, 02:59 AM
We here are taking a step towards the Next Gen. Ruger LCP in .380 with Green lasers from the factory. (TALO). We also are using Taurus 85 / SS in .38 special. Those are dealer samples threw Zanders. They still have some left. Lots of bigger guns + calibers also.

Good Cheer
01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
If her musculature is changing with age then crimson trace molded grips can really help.
And the quilt cats really like the laser.

DLCTEX
01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
My wife has tried the laser sights and just doesn't like them. She started with iron sights and prefers them. She does like the white dots on the S&W though.

Whiterabbit
01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
This is a woman who wasn't into guns until years of marriage to me and raising 5 gun nut sons who have provided two gun nut daughter-in-laws so far.

Sweet, there is hope for my wife yet!

bedbugbilly
01-24-2014, 12:53 PM
I've seen so many threads over the years where a husband "wants to buy my wife a carry pistol". I have no idea why husbands think they need to make a decision that should be their wife's. You and your wife certainly sound like you have your act together and she sounds like a great lady who is determined to get something she really likes - the best of luck to you both! Don't let her "settle for less" . . . she needs to get and carry what she likes.

Sounds like your family has the makings of a good natured "shooting match" - the ladies against the gents. You ought to consider that . . . could be lots of fun! The winners get to choose the restaurant of their choice? :-) Good luck to you all!

Garyshome
01-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Allrightythen...well there's something I've never done!

Groo
01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Groo here
How about a Remington R-51...

JHeath
01-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Groo here
How about a Remington R-51...

What I was thinking, when they become available and you can find one to buy . . .

If the recoil is an issue with other .380s, look for somebody who has an original Model 51 to try. The low bore axis and Pedersen action make it a different experience. The price for a clean one is about even with new .380s. They are slim and stylish . . .

I bought one after looking at the new .380s.

DLCTEX
01-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Today she settled on the S&W Shield. She is a happy gun owner.

DLCTEX
01-31-2014, 09:29 PM
She really likes the Shield. Will will be casting more.

Good Cheer
02-01-2014, 11:46 PM
My better 2/3's settled in on the SP101 with crimson trace grips because the rig fit her hand right.
She chose the feel and fit to solve the problems she had with her old pistol (S&W Air Weight) trigger guard banging on her finger as she got older. And the cats really like the laser.

tacklebury
02-02-2014, 12:27 AM
I bought my wife a Charter Arms Pink Lady. She got final choice of several models and picked it herself. It's really gotten her into it and now she has a .357 maximum rifle, Taurus PT-22 and hopes to get a MPA Protector .380 auto. What have I created ;)

starmac
02-02-2014, 01:58 AM
I've seen so many threads over the years where a husband "wants to buy my wife a carry pistol". I have no idea why husbands think they need to make a decision that should be their wife's. You and your wife certainly sound like you have your act together and she sounds like a great lady who is determined to get something she really likes - the best of luck to you both! Don't let her "settle for less" . . . she needs to get and carry what she likes.

Sounds like your family has the makings of a good natured "shooting match" - the ladies against the gents. You ought to consider that . . . could be lots of fun! The winners get to choose the restaurant of their choice? :-) Good luck to you all!

Sometimes it is not a matter of choice. Sometimes you get caught bringing a new one in, and have no choice but to say I bought this one for you BABE. lol

TXGunNut
02-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Today she settled on the S&W Shield. She is a happy gun owner.

Well done, enjoy!

DLCTEX
02-03-2014, 01:16 AM
We shot it today and it shoots surprisingly well. It impressed my son (site member black rifle shooter) and DIL to the extent they both want one. I found out that if you have one in 40 S&W you can swap barrels to 357 Sig or barrel and mag to 9mm. One fellow put a 40 barrel in his 9mm by doing a little grinding on the side of the barrel hood. Interesting option.