PDA

View Full Version : Holster input for 1911 5in

Animal
01-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a comfortable/practical holster for regular carry. I live in Georgia, have a weapons carry license and don't care if I "print" a little, just don't want a full open carry set-up.

I'm not sure if a pancake style would be best (I usually wear t-shirts around town and keep them untucked). I've been carrying in my motorcycle best... but I'm tired of wearing the vest when I'm not riding.

If it helps any, I'm 5'10, 200lbs and wear size 32 waist jeans (I'm 34, so I'm getting a bit of a spare tire... It isn't a full size spare... maybe a donut/space saver kind of spare)

My weapon of choice is a full sized RIA 1911 GI .45acp., so I'm not too worried about 'concealment', but more like an 'obscured' carry (for lack of better words).

Oh, and black is a plus. Thanks!

MattOrgan
01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. Light,concealable, secure, fast draw, and very durable, offer belt loop carry or paddle. And very affordable.

Fire_Medic
01-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. Light,concealable, secure, fast draw, and very durable, offer belt loop carry or paddle. And very affordable.

I'm out on the durability as under hard use the release buttons have shown NOT to be durable and break. Happened to me personally in a training class and a couple of my local LEO depot's have in the past put out memo's to personnel stating this holster is not suitable for Duty use.

OP- I'm a huge 1911 fan, and it's what I learned to shoot on. To me a 1911 and leather are a match made in heaven. For IWB nothing beats a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or a clone of this holster by a reputable holster maker. For OWB their CC AT or a clone of this style will still hide plenty easy under a cover garment.

Milt sparks is not cheap, but worth every penny, and if you are ok with just a plain black holster form them you can get one new in short lead time from one of their dealers.

If you have to have kydex I personally prefer Comp-Tac for their quality, affordability, excellent customer service, and short lead times. They offer various holsters and I have been using them exclusively for my kydex needs after issues with IDPA rigs made by other well known companies who would not stand behind their products when they failed and accused me of abusing their holsters, lol.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

And of cours this is all just my $0.02, which was free to everyone.

FM

pworley1
01-24-2014, 12:09 AM
If you are not too concerned about concealment, you can get a fobus paddle off ebay for about ten bucks most of the time. I use one when I carry a 1911. I find it very comfortable.

DK1911
01-24-2014, 12:24 AM
I second Fire_Medic I carry 1911 and HP in the Milt Sparks Summer 2 IWB.

gspgundog
01-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Try the Crossbreed ITW, I also carry a 1911 and found that it is very comfortable for all day wear. I have even taken a nap with it on. With a loose t shirt you can pretty much make it disappear.

Jupiter7
01-24-2014, 01:23 AM
If inside the waistband, milt sparks summer special II or versa max. For IWB with 5" 1911, the ssII is what I use. For OWB, Garret silent thunder. I use this holster during hunting season, in IDPA competition and at the range. It is leather lined kydex, wears on gun like leather and doesn't make annoying kydex "click", but holds stiff like kydex. It also rides at belt height and close to the body. Garret also offers IWB models. On the 1911forum, TTgunleather and Tucker gunleather get great reviews.

Garrett
http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-holsters/

TT
http://ttgunleather.com/

Tucker gunleather- I really like the HF1 as an all around holster
http://www.tuckergunleather.com/

Zim
01-24-2014, 01:29 AM
Milt Sparks versa max ii.
Worth every penny.

fivegunner
01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
I also carry the 1911 5inch, and I use the Milt Sparks Versa MaxII. you might want to give Rob from (Simply Rugged holsters) a call , I bet he could set you up in style and not break the bank. also get a good heavy thick stiff belt .

Keyston44
01-24-2014, 08:36 AM
I feel the best holster is a leather pancake holster, especially for a 1911. Paddle holster don't hold the gun tight enough to the body. Plastic holsters are the same way. I don't like inside the waist band holsters because I don't like anything in my pants I wasn't born with.
I'm 5'8" and 180 and don't have a problem concealing a full size 1911. For the money I use the Desantis Speed Scabbard for all my semi auto guns. It holds the gun high and tight to the body. Has a tension screw to hold the gun.
The only modification I make is to cut off the upper tab on the outside of the holster, I makes reholstering easier.

They can also be purchased cheaper by shopping around.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-HOLSTER-OR-ACCESSORY/BELT-HOLSTERS/Speed-Scabbard/Kimber/Custom-II-Royal-II-Eclipse-Custom-II-Custom-CDP-5

Key

mrvmax
01-24-2014, 08:43 AM
I use a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB. It actually keeps my STI Trojan closer to me body than my Comp-Tac and Crossbreed IWB holsters. So far the best holster I have owned.

Pb2au
01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Check out the offerings from Stoner Holsters. Excellent build quality at an extremely competitive price point.
http://www.stonerholsters.com/

The next one on the list for me is their Stormer. It is shoulder rig with a very interesting twist to it.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=381

It was modeled off of a shoulder holster that a friend of mine carried while he was in the Agency and doing diplomatic security work.

Animal
01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Very cool guys. I've got a lot of good stuff to research here. Thanks

ffries61
01-24-2014, 09:46 AM
I just recently got a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2, nicest, most comfortable 1911 holster I own.

Fred

C. Latch
01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I've been using a Sparks VMII since 2006 or so. I see no need to change.

edit: make that 2004. Going on 10 years now. Time flies.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Pro Line Leather made by Greg Kramer is all I've used for over 20 years, most of the guys in my shooting associates use Pro Line Leather too. I carry just about 24 / 7. Greg Kramer makes his Pro Line Leather from the chest of horse hide and his stuff wears like iron. The holster is a little too tight when you first get it but there is not need for a thumb-snap on his stuff. I use the belt from Pro Line too, it's a heavy double stitched horse hide that really distributes the weight evenly about the hip.

I carried a Beretta 92F for about 10 years, then a Smith 4506 for about 8 years and now a Colt 1911 for about the same amount of time off duty. I wouldn't use anything else.

Kraschenbirn
01-24-2014, 11:07 AM
I've been using a Bianchi "Askins Avenger" without complaint for almost 25 years...but I just checked and Bianchi no longer catalogs that design. Their Model 57 is close to it but doesn't appear to have the (removeable) hammer-block retention strap for 'cocked & locked' carry.

Bill

Char-Gar
01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
I am a big fan of Simply Rugger gun leather. They offer a variety of styles and one will meet your need. I am thinking their CID would suit your fancy. These holsters are hand crafted, top quality, reasonable price with quick delivery. What could be better than that.

Dutchman
01-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Askins Avenger by Bianchi. I've been using this one for 30 years??? Dang long time... Never used the strap. Doesn't need it.

http://images42.fotki.com/v1453/photos/4/28344/9895637/aa1-vi.jpg

http://images19.fotki.com/v275/photos/4/28344/9895637/aa2-vi.jpg

KYCaster
01-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Another vote for Milt Sparks.

Don't overlook the benefits of a good belt. It will distribute the weight over a wider area and keep the holster in the proper position.

Anyone who's considering a Blackhawk holster....please watch these Youtube videos......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI
.....rated R for foul language and stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzC7zbpT9cc
......if you feel the need to train to overcome the inherent danger of the holster's design then choose another design.

Jerry

69daytona
01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
I use a crossbred holster for my 5" and my 4.25" 1911s for carry, very comfortable and even with a heavy gun you wont notice the weight because it spreads it out over a large area.

69daytona
01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
If you want it even more concelable Ed Brown sells bobtail mainspring housings and the jig to do your own. makes a big difference not having that pointy but sticking out, going to order it to do my other 1911s.

contender1
01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
I would like to offer something not mentioned here.
Look at a company called;
N82 Tactical
They make one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever worn. I have a bunch of different 1911 holsters, and I carry one a lot. I was introduced to them via 2 different LEO's for their CCW guns. They stated that after wearing all the gear they have to have, a comfortable holster is a must. I got one over 3 years ago, and it is top quality, and will carry easily.
They were also featured recently in American Handgunner magazine.

MtGun44
01-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 or Watch 6 - same design but the W6 is thinner in horsehide without
the steel mouth reinforcment if the VM2 - which is to make reholstering super easy. I have
and use both, but have mostly switched to the W6 for daily carry. VERY comfortable all
day.

Bill

Lonegun1894
01-27-2014, 05:43 AM
I use a Don Hume off-duty, but it has no thumb-break or anything, just holds my 5" Springfield by friction, and holds it very well. I dress about like you when I'm off, axcept a t-shirt to keep from rubbing my side raw and then a untucked shirt over it, and go running or playing rough with my dog like this and have never had an issue with the pistol coming even a bit loose. Now my dog is a 160# mastiff, and he has no problem bowling me over whenever he wants, or dragging me across the yard, just so you have an idea of what kind of conditions my pistol stays holstered through. On duty, I use holsters made by a local holster/tack maker here in Waco, TX. I won't post his info without asking, but can give it in PM if anyone is interested. He also hade my belt that I use both on and off duty, and like said in the posts above, it is stiff, and distributes the weight while keeping everything in place. I think the belt is at least as important as the holster, if not more so at times.

osteodoc08
01-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Milt Sparks if youve got the $$$. I got along with a pancake holster from Blackhawk for a while. Still use one for my M&P compact.

HiVelocity
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
www.pjholster.com You won't want anything else. In fact, I took a nap with my XDs in this holster.

BTW, I'm about your size, just a little "thicker" ............ lol!

HV

enoch59
02-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Check out the offerings from Stoner Holsters. Excellent build quality at an extremely competitive price point.
http://www.stonerholsters.com/

The next one on the list for me is their Stormer. It is shoulder rig with a very interesting twist to it.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=381

It was modeled off of a shoulder holster that a friend of mine carried while he was in the Agency and doing diplomatic security work.

Oh how I wish you hadn't posted this. Just how many holsters for my 1911's do I need to have ? I know, just one. The one I don't have !

Shooter6br
02-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Uncle Mikes for my Kimber 1911 95226 ( stock photo)

DRNurse1
02-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey OP good question but nearly like asking 'Democrat or Republican' or '9MM or 45ACP' for stirring the pot. I SWEAT a lot and have found the plastic holsters uncomfortable although they provide a simple retention and draw process. I picked up a Crossbreed horse hide/ kydex design and found it the best of both worlds: plastic for retention and the horsehide remains intact after all day sweating.

DLCTEX
02-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I have had a Galco thumb break for about 25 years that is still going strong. It takes a long tail shirt to conceal. I have their shoulder holster for jacket wear.

slam45
02-02-2014, 12:17 PM
30+ years with a Milt Sparks 55BN...

Sam

nhrifle
02-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I haven't tried all the holsters on the market yet, but this is the one in which I carry my 1911:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Slot-Pancake-Leather-Concealment,1148,1418.htm

So far it is the most comfortable and secure way I have found to carry it. I do not get abraded and my pistol stays where I put it, and it stays tucked closely to me.

revolvergeek
02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Milt Sparks versa max ii.
Worth every penny.

This, nothing better for inside the waistband. I have slept with a cocked and locked pistol in this Olster many times before.

Animal
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
This is what I settled down on. I've heard this name here a couple of times and the reviews look promising.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519377?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConf-_-ProductLink
I like that it isn't in my pants. I like that it carries the weapon high. The draw angle looks right. There is no strap to worry about moving the safety. It appears to be well supported by how the leather forms to the trigger gaurd. The leather looks good an shouldn't draw too much attention when portions of it are exposed.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I'm unsure of whether the model I ordered will leave the muzzle exposed. After mulling it over, I figure it isn't a big deal if it is because I don't plan to rough it through the country with that holster.

I hope I made a good choice. I must have bought the last one because it was shown as "out of stock" when I looked at it again after making my purchase.

Animal
02-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Just an update: I got my new holster in last Tuesday. I wore it with my weapon all day. I went for a short drive with it, sat down in my recliner with it and worked at my loading station with it. I had no problems with comfort. The weapon stays concealed in a normal t-shirt. If I raise my arms the weapon can be easily seen.

I really like the fact that the holster is molded to form fit a GI 1911. It holds the weapon perfectly secure without a strap.

I live in Georgia where open carry is lawful with the appropriate license, so I don't care if people see it. I just don't want to advertise it. It's a damn good looking holster too. I'll practice drawing from it on the range pretty soon. I don't anticipate any problems.