PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question about home made lube molds.

45-70 Chevroner
01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
I made my self a lube mold with dowels PVC pipe and a wood plank. My question is those of you that make your own lube using those items do you lubricate the PVC pipe and the dowels with anything before you pour the boolit lube in? If so what do you lube them with?

Old Caster
01-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Nothing. When it is time to get them out, put them in the freezer for a while and then easily push out the lube. I just put masking tape on one end.

gmsharps
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
I spray a bit of pam on the inside of the PVC and also put them in the freezer. May not need the Pam but I use it just in case. I have had a few stuck in the pvc when I did not use it and had to melt them out. Make sure you have a cap on both ends so that if they fall over the freezer does not get a mess all over it. don't ask how I know. You can use duct tape but I just use a pvc cap for convienience. Use a dowel stick or cut off broom handle to knock the lube out of the pvc.

gmsharps

magnetik
01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I hit the tubes lightly with a hair dryer or heat gun.. once the heat flows through the PVC.. the lube just slides out.

Hawkeye45
01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Yep I have used all those methods and they work. Use the one you like the best.

Mr. Ed

uaskme
01-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Line the PVC with wax paper.

fredj338
01-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I split mine in half lengthwise, put them in the freezer & pop them apart.

357maximum
01-25-2014, 12:48 PM
All my lubrisizers have come with a LUBE MOLD built right into them. :lol:

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2014, 12:49 PM
I used copper tubes on mine. Swap thr inside with soapy water, and they come right out.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Lubing a lube mold LOL :guntootsmiley:

D Crockett
01-30-2014, 02:16 AM
I use a lube stick remover that I made out of a long 1/2 blot a nut and angle iron with a 1 inch piece of round steel bar wielded to the end of the bolt I make 50 sticks of lube at a time on one day and the next day I take them out using this devise and a air ratchet if any one want one of these made pm me D Crockett

luis7
01-30-2014, 05:06 AM
motor oil, olive oil or any vegetal oil, only a little.
Greetings from Espaņa.

Sasquatch-1
01-30-2014, 07:08 AM
How about a picture and a price.

I use a lube stick remover that I made out of a long 1/2 blot a nut and angle iron with a 1 inch piece of round steel bar wielded to the end of the bolt I make 50 sticks of lube at a time on one day and the next day I take them out using this devise and a air ratchet if any one want one of these made pm me D Crockett

Taylor
01-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I use quarter rolls,come right out and have covering for storage.

45-70 Chevroner
01-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Lubing a lube mold LOL :guntootsmiley:
I figured someone would pickup on that, I had to LMS (laugh my self).

45-70 Chevroner
01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
My first attempt did not work out so well, I made a heck of a mess. I think I have come up with solution though. I will try to get some pictures on here. I think it is a pretty nice setup.

Elkins45
02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I pour into 1" tubes, so my remover is a 1" dowel with a short stub of 3/8" dowel in the center to keep the center hole from collapsing. I set the tube over the remover on the bench top and press down. The lube stick comes right out the top. If it doesn't then I hit the tube with a propane torch for 5-10 seconds or so and that melts just a tiny enough layer at the lube/tube interface that it slides right out.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
are you pre heating the molds?
Splitting the molds is a really good idea.

I have been "there" when "the" company was making a pour, maybe 100 tubes....They had a water filled table, warm water sorrounds the molds, they make the pour, the slowly reduce the temp in the water bath, let the lube coolant cool down, and shrink down at the same rate there fore no voids, air pockets, then, only after the have cooled, like over night in room temp air cooled in a rack, they go into the freezer, makes the lube even harder, then push it out the tube molds, but they still had to spray "secret" product into the molds.

I think is was glycol, alcohol , paraffin wax solution?? This was 1989 so maybe maybe my info is dated but that's how "they" did it.
We never had the water bath table and we made a few hundred pounds of our own mix, until I found Red Rooster.

Had bullets in a black ammo can, death valley Ca. at 123 in the shade, lube did not melt out. then we went north , same bullets, sub zero freezing, no flaking or or chalking out.
Never made lube at home ever again.

main compoments you need. the ratios escape me right now but I can find the recipe....
Raw Carnuba wax.
parafin wax,
bees wax,
there are other additives but they made the lube runny or gritty or more temp sensitive.