PDA

View Full Version : Wire & Cable Pulling Lubricant - Anyone Tried It?

John Boy
01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Klein Tools sells a 'Complex Wax Base' Wire & Cable Pulling Lubricant ...
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/wire-and-cable-pulling-lubricant/premium-synthetic-wax-one-quart-squeeze-bottle

Sounded interesting, so I bought a quart ... anyone used it for an ingredient in their bullet lube, smokeless or black powder?

Elkins45
01-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Nope, but it makes a really good case resizing lube.

454PB
01-23-2014, 11:52 PM
And it works as a lube for mounting tires.

John Boy
01-24-2014, 09:02 PM
... and have a suspicion it will make a good lube too!
* Have a jar of custom mold 44gr UMC 22LR Match bullets for my 22 rimfire BP reloads
* Put them in a tuna can today with the Wire & Cable lube - graphite and a slight spray of mineral spirits to thin the lube
* Shook the bullets in the lube and then transferred them to another tuna can
* Heated the lubed bullets with a hair dryer ... the lube dried quickly
When they were dried, the coating was silky smooth on the bullets like the commercial lube on smokeless 22 rim fires. Will see how the lube holds up on the reloads when the weather breaks

Zymurgy50
01-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Elephant snot,,,,, pulled miles of wire with it, never thought about using it for boolit lube.

DeanWinchester
01-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Works in a suppressor too.

geargnasher
01-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Works in a suppressor too.

Yes it does.

I went on a deep research mission last year and found the wire pulling lube to be a little off on their advertising, it's more like water-based Teflon compound than a "wax". No good for boolit lube as far as I can tell.

Gear

bangerjim
01-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Hummmmmm........KY Jelly.....for boolits! Now what will they try next!!!!!!

That stuff is good for one thing......pulling wires. And I have used it for tires as mentioned.

bangerjim

dikman
01-25-2014, 05:44 AM
I wonder what's in it? It's called "synthetic wax", which is....??? According to the MSDS it contains 95% volatiles, so that leaves 5% of something slippery. It also says its "solubility in water is complete", and appears to be basically non-toxic.

Got me beat.

ubetcha
01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Someone has mention not to long ago that they thought the Lee case lube was wire pull lube. I know I have a big bottle of I somewhere, I just have to look through my mess in the garage and find it.

dikman
01-26-2014, 06:49 AM
I've been thinking about this a bit, as it has me puzzled. Its boiling point is 100C - same as water - its freezing point is 0C - same as water and its specific gravity is 1.01 - water is 1. Certainly sounds like it's nearly all water, but then I don't understand the reference to "volatiles - 95% by weight" if that's the case. There are synthetic waxes made by 3M, for example, but their MSDS reads like a chemical cocktail, so they're definitely not used in this stuff.

Puzzling indeed.

6bg6ga
01-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Looks like cat 5/ cat 6 lube

Shooter6br
01-26-2014, 09:03 AM
At Home depot for little over $6 . I had used Red Rooster jacket lube years ago. It seems simular. Worth $6 investment for 2 lbs of it

TJF1
01-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Some brands are not even good for pulling wire
after 40 year as an electrican/
terry

6bg6ga
01-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Some brands are not even good for pulling wire
after 40 year as an electrican/
terry

You are absolutely correct.

About the best thing I have used for pulling wire is something that is yellow and looks like snot. Cannot remember the name of it.

Poygan
01-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I have used the Gardner Bender Wire-Aide, wire pulling lubricant. It worked fine as I recall. Oh, yes, yellow in color.

geargnasher
01-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Water is "volatile", though not a "VOC". Your non-toxics would be silicone or any number of hydrocarbon or flourine polymers. There's a similar product marketed as various aerosol "gel" lubes which use a carrier like hexane and an inert propellant instead of water. None of these things have found a place in my boolit lubes, but who knows, it might work.

Gear

dikman
01-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Thanks gg. I looked up the definition of volatile, and it said it is something that evaporates at "normal" temperatures, so to me it seemed that water would be too slow evaporating to be used. It appears that my interpretation of "volatile" may be a little narrow! It also says that it's electrically conductive until dry, so again that points to water. As for silicones, I thought they were basically insoluble in water, so don't understand how it could be used in a water-based product?