PDA

View Full Version : sizing and lube tools

deerspy
01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I have cast some about 35 years ago but did not have my own equipment just bought a LEE 4-20 pot and a Lyman mold 452460 now I saving up to get a Lube Sizer so what would be a good unit to get (something that would handle 32 cal to 45 cal bullets.

williamwaco
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
I like the Lyman 4500. I know it is not "trendy" but it works fine for me.

That said.

I recommend you try the Lee push through dies and LLA before dropping almost 200 bucks on a lubrisizer.

And yes your can use LLA on that bullet. I do it regularly.

deerspy
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
I looked a lee but don't see how it will fill the lube grove on bullet and I need a .453 so would have to order a custom one. due any lube sizer makers make .453 sizer?

454PB
01-23-2014, 11:19 PM
I looked a lee but don't see how it will fill the lube grove on bullet and I need a .453 so would have to order a custom one. due any lube sizer makers make .453 sizer?

The Lee system is designed for tumble or pan lubing. You can get .453" sizing dies, but it's probably faster to either hone out a .452" die or order one from Lathesmith or Buckshot on this forum. Do a search and you'll find ways to hone out a Lyman/RCBS die without a lathe, .001" doesn't take long.

runfiverun
01-24-2014, 02:46 AM
or any fancy equipment either a stick and some sand paper.

you have options in the easy or not so easy world of tumble lubing or pain lubing as an alternative.
you also have the option of not sizing, many get away with this option with some of their boolits.
I do with a couple of mine and use tumble lube on them.
the rest I run through my stars.

Walter Laich
01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
I started with a Lyman and then got a Lee push through
APP powder doesn't require bullets be lubed and the push through was faster.
When you are doing a couple of hundred for your brother I save a bit of time plus I enjoy seeing them fill the red plastic hopper on top

deerspy
01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
thanks all, for your thoughts I think i will cast some and see how big they are before I buy a sizer, now I need to figure out what lead to buy, will have to order some no place to get any around here.

williamwaco
01-24-2014, 04:52 PM

The Lee system doesn't fill the grooves. It lubes the surface. It works quite well.

You can see my test results with it here.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

70 loads with 17 different bullets, 11 different firearms.