PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate for No. 4 in 44 S&W American

William Yanda
01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Friends
Any one here able to send me a tracing of the sprue plate for the above tool, or a sketch with accurate dimensions.
I will attempt to fabricate one from a Lee single cavity sprue plate because that is available inexpensively.
I found a No. 4 with the sprue plate missing. Also MIA is the decapping pin, but someone in the archive suggested substituting the Lee pin so I think I have that covered.
Regards
Bill

catskinner
01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
I don't have a No 4 but do have a No 6 and the sprue hole and pivot holes are the same size and spacing as my Lyman single cavity molds. Some file or grinding work on the portion of the Lyman plate where the plate hits the stop pin could possibly produce a usable sprue plate.If the sprue plate on the No 4 is the same as on the No 6 a Lee plate would work without modification but the sprue hole is not centered on the bullet cavity.

Bent Ramrod
01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
If you have the tool, the basic dimensions of the plate are the length and width of the mould blocks. On my .45 Colt's tool, this is about 1" long and 0.89" wide. The little tab for knocking the sprue off is about 0.42" wide and it protrudes 0.65" from the width dimension and 0.020" more than the length dimension. The plate is about 0.145" thick.

It would be best to get a piece of steel 1" x 1-1/2" and drill the screw hole first, then put the plate on the mould and mark out the outline of the blocks on it. File the lower right hand corner away for the stop pin, and file the sides and the tab to fit the blocks. I put in a picture below:

bhn22
01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Somebody has to be offering single cavity sprue plates somewhere. Have you tried Erik at Hollow Point Mold?

Greg
02-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Red River Rick made me some a year or so back, great work, reasonable price

williamwaco
02-28-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't have a No 4 but do have a No 6 and the sprue hole and pivot holes are the same size and spacing as my Lyman single cavity molds. Some file or grinding work on the portion of the Lyman plate where the plate hits the stop pin could possibly produce a usable sprue plate.If the sprue plate on the No 4 is the same as on the No 6 a Lee plate would work without modification but the sprue hole is not centered on the bullet cavity.

See Lyman:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page153.html