PDA

View Full Version : Anyone load with the big Dillon Super 1050 Machines?

shotstring
12-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Many years ago when I was involved in Cowboy shooting, I had Dillon deliver one of their reloading masterpieces to my home - a 1050 in 45LC. What a beautiful machine!!! And FAAAAAST!! I cranked out several thousand loaded rounds in just a few hours and felt ready for whatever amount of shooting I wanted to do.

Well, it was almost none, as I shortly dropped out of Cowboy shooting (or Shotgun Reloading Competition, as I am more inclined to call it) and now have a machine that loads one caliber very well, and very very fast that I hardly ever use. I still have a few 45LC guns, but not enough to warrant cranking out thousands of rounds which this machine does efforlessly. Too beautiful to sell, but no longer practical to use as changing calibers is an expensive nightmare.
So it just sits....looking great and gathering dust on its covering as I try and find ways to shoot the thousands of rounds it has already produced.

Anyone else have this problem? A progressive reloader that fills it's room with loaded rounds, and can't be kept fed or excercised any longer - it has just consumed all your boolits, primers, powder and brass and wants more?:groner:

mtgrs737
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I only wish I had your problem. I would love to own one, but they are just too expensive for me. Ever think about reloading commercialy?

pumpguy
12-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't have that problem, but, if you want to send it to my house for a while, I would love to see if I can.

ANeat
12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Well I have a 1050 and I change calibers. I load 223, 9mm 40 and 45acp. Like Shoestring mentioned; when I load I will load up a good supply before changing calibers. The first time changing calibers takes a while but once you get the feel for it its not to bad. I really like the primer swager as it allows me to process military brass with no problems. Thats more of a 9mm and 223 issue.

Another thing Ive done in the past is let friends load some of their ammo on my 1050.

If I got to where I was shooting less I might sell it and get a 650 or 550. The 1050 is a wonderfull reloading machine and a pleasure to use.

Marshal Kane
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
. . . Anyone else have this problem? A progressive reloader that fills it's room with loaded rounds, and can't be kept fed or excercised any longer - it has just consumed all your boolits, primers, powder and brass and wants more?:groner:
There's a certain satisfaction in having what you really want in spite of not being able to use it as much as you want. This might sound like double-talk but in my case, it's that unfired Colt .45 single action revolver residing in the gunsafe which gets lovingly handled maybe once a year. Be comforted in knowing that a lot us would like to be in your shoes on this one. Just try to shoot more and put the progressive back to work. Perhaps stretching out your reloading sessions rather than doing it all in one sitting will extend the enjoyment of having this reloader.

As to the suggestion of reloading commercially, bear in mind that if one of your reloads blow up a gun, or is even suspected of doing so, you may be involved in some expensive litigation especially where personal injury is involved. Commercial reloaders carry liability insurance and have a business license to protect themselves. IMO, anyone contemplating starting up a commercial reloading business had better do their homework first.

powderburnerr
12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
shotstring I know your misery , only mine was with a 650 ,I dearly like to reload but I just could not afford to keep the 650 running , seems it took two or three months to save up for an afternoons loading then it had to set for another two months , casting took up some of the slack but not all ............Dean

shotstring
12-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I already did the commercial reloading thing, and it was fun while it lasted. More work than one might think though....was reloading rounds and casting boolits sometimes 10 hours a day. I think I was carrying $1,000,000 in liability insurance at the time. Wouldn't try it again in this lawsuit prone era that we live in now though.

I really do love my 1050, and it seems everyone who posted on this thread who has used one feels the same. It just feels like such a waste sitting there for a seldom used caliber. I did add a 550 for all the other calibers, but since I'm retired and time isn't an issue, I actually prefer a single stage press to any of the progressives for shear enjoyment of reloading. (Yes, I do enjoy reloading and casting as much as I enjoy actually shooting). Maybe I will appreciate the speed more when I make my final move to Washington state and can shoot from my front porch - should be doing a whole lot more shooting then. I do believe the 1050 is a smoother machine than the 550 or 650 and almost as smooth as my old Star reloader, so I can't bring myself to part with it. As was suggested, maybe I'll find some kindred shooters that need some rounds made - more than happy to share.

When I talked with Dillon, they said caliber conversion is a pain on this machine and would cost over $400, so they tend to sell it as more of a single caliber machine - they recommend the 550 and 650 more if switching calibers is important. But if it really isn't that hard to do, maybe I should just spend the money and set it up for 44 mag or some caliber I shoot more than 45 Long Colt.

ANeat
12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I think the conversions are $99.00 or so. You have to remove the toolhead to swap out the shellplate, if youre changing primer size then its a little more involved. I enjoy working on the machine. It is so well made and heavy duty.

If you go the hole route of investing in another toolhead for each caliber I could see where it would get expensive. If you have the dies already and arent changing primer size it shouldnt be more than $100.00

I was lucky and found an older non super 1050 used with everything to do 9mm and 45, both primer setups, extra toolhead, lots of extras for a great price.

Scrounger
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I think I'd start contacting Cowboy Clubs and make them a great deal on it. Sell it for enough to buy a 650 or trade for a 650. There IS a buyer out there for whatever you have to sell....
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/1050.jpg

hammerhead357
12-08-2007, 07:54 PM
I had a 1050 and loved it however it had the same problem. Sitting idle most of the time. The key word was had, some SOB stole it and about 8000 dollors worth of other tools.
I also had a Dillon 1000 at one time it was set up for 223 when I used to shoot a lot of that, but I sold it when I cut down on the ar shooting. This was a sweet machine but it was expensive to purchase and quite complicated to boot....Wes

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2007, 06:39 AM
ive loaed on the buddys 1050 and all i can say is that is that if i could afford it there would be one on my bench.

Adam10mm
12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
When I get my FFL I can get them for cheaper than from Dillon by a few hundred dollars. If you're serious I'll let you know when I get my FFL. We can do cost plus actual shipping. I'm doing this for two other people.

contender85
12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I use a 550B and its plenty fast enough for me......would like to try a 1050 sometime though.

Mark

garandsrus
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
freakshow10mm,

What type of FFL do you need to get a discount from Dillon and where do you place the order?

Thanks,
John

Adam10mm
12-10-2007, 12:51 AM
This isn't from Dillon directly. Special dealer discount from a major mail order company. They will take any kind of FFL or Tax ID number showing you are in the shooting industry.

Sundogg1911
12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I've helped out a "friend" that has about 15 of them (Professional reloader) Before I bought my Dillons I would be permitted to load there after "working off" the use of the presses. It was no deal as after loading hours and hours for Him I didn't really feel like cranking out any for myself, and After I bought my Dillons (I have 2 550's and a SDB) I find that i'm so bust casting that I don't have enough hours in the day to use my machines. A 1050 would be sweet, but sadly it falls low on my list with a daughter in college. I did learn a lot about reloading with the "big" machines though

AnthonyB
12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I can't get my 550 to line up the dies as well as my Rockchucker and have largely quit using it. The boolits don't seat straight and I get bulged cases. I contacted Dillon and they sent me a tool to align the shell plate but I obviously haven't gotten it right. Any suggestions? Tony

shotstring
12-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Anthony, call Dillon and they will walk you through making the proper adjustments right over the phone now that you have the proper tool. You shouldn't be having those problems. Most of the alignment problems I have encountered and heard about have involved their primer system and even those can usually be fixed rather quickly with a phone call.

BigSlick
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey Anthony,

Here's a copy of the instructions Dillon sends with the alignment kit. Also, a pic of the part used to align things up again. The only part you really need is the thing in the middle that looks like a powder funnel. I haven't used mine in years, but hang on to it, just in case.

If you need to use it, let me know, I'll send it your way pronto.

Maybe these will help :

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/AlignmentKit1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/AlignKitInst1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/AlignKitInst2.jpg
________
Wellbutrin Lawsuits (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

omgb
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I've got two Hornady L-N-L s that produce more than I can shoot as well. I keep one set up with the case feeder to load .357 mag and 32-20. The other I load 45-70, .375 Win and 30-06. Both machines turn out rounds faster than I can shoot. Still, they look pretty slick sitting there and I often just pull the handle to feel the parts move. I'm a sick man:castmine:

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi

I would definitely vote for swapping calibers on the machine. I have a 650 and the stories about "impossible caliber change over" are wildly exaggerated. With the right parts and tools it's not at all hard to do.

Bob

mstarling
12-17-2007, 06:54 PM
I have a 550B and a 1050 bought for IPSC shooting support. I caliber change 25 ACP, .380, 38 spcl, 357, 41 Mag, 357 AMP, 44 AMP and 45 Auto on the 550B as well as some rifle cartridges and 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and .223 on the 1050.

Wish I had been able to wait for the Super 1050 so I could do .308 on it. Oh well.

Yup ... it sits most of the time ... BUT ... I get to go play at the range without spending a lot of time at the loading bench! That's what I bought them for.

longhorn
12-17-2007, 09:44 PM
.25ACP on a Dillon? What .25 gun is standing up to that much shooting? Not being sarcastic, I'd just like to know.....

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2007, 07:07 AM
wow i guess so. I load tons of handgun ammo but dont even have dies for my 25acp. It spends most of its life in the console in the pickup and might get a couple boxes of ammo shot a year out of it when i feel the urge. I can buy ball ammo for under 10 bucks a box. A box or two of ball and one box of gold dots last me a dammed long time. I guess if a guy does shoot the snot out of them a 1050 would be the machine to load them on. YOu dont have to handle brass and theres a big enough opening for my club fingers to sit a bullet on one.

12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Anyone load with the big Dillon Super 1050 Machines?

I don't have a Super 1050, but I do have 2 RL 1050's and 3 tool heads.

12-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have a Super 1050 and an RL 1050? I'm wondering if there is any difference other than the size of the rifle brass they'll run.

ANeat
12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I have the RL1050 and as far as I know the only difference between it and the Super 1050's is the linkage etc. Everything that controls the length of the stroke was changed to allow the extra length for more rifle calibers. Everything else, shellplate, toolhead, case feeding, primer feeding etc is the same.

As time goes on and prices go up the RL1050 can bring a premium to a handgun reloader not interested in the longer stroke.

flutedchamber
12-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Does anyone have a Super 1050 and an RL 1050? I'm wondering if there is any difference other than the size of the rifle brass they'll run.

I have both the Super 1050 and the RL 1050. The shellplates are the same, as are the toolheads (at least the later toolheads). Anything different on the toolheads can be cured with an allen wrench and about 5 minutes.

The Super 1050 has a different linkage system and a longer stroke for rifle ammo. I use my RL 1050 for all pistol and 30 carbine work, and the Super for rifle work.

The way the super is made seems to smooth out the shellplate rotation, not that it was jumpy in the RL, it is just a tad slower on the super and smoother. The super seems to have more leverage because I can use the handle on the shortest setting and size rifle brass easier than on the RL. I am using military OF 223 brass for comparison.

If you only want one machine, get the Super. It is worth the money and will easily outlive you. I did, however, change my Super back to the old RL style powder measure system with the return springs. It is more positive in my eyes and eliminates a lot of crap that is not needed.

A low powder and powder level sensor is a must.

If I can be of any help, please ask.

12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
The way the super is made seems to smooth out the shellplate rotation, not that it was jumpy in the RL, it is just a tad slower on the super and smoother. The super seems to have more leverage because I can use the handle on the shortest setting and size rifle brass easier than on the RL. I am using military OF 223 brass for comparison.

If you only want one machine, get the Super.

If I can be of any help, please ask.

Thanks for the reply, I had heard the super was a little smoother but I've never had the chance to try one.

As good as the super sounds, I don't think I can afford/justify a Super. I've got 2 RL's on the bench now.

flutedchamber
12-29-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the reply, I had heard the super was a little smoother but I've never had the chance to try one.

As good as the super sounds, I don't think I can afford/justify a Super. I've got 2 RL's on the bench now.

For what people are getting for used 1050's, perhaps you could sell one and just add a few hundred to what you get and buy a Super. I know that used 1050's are going for over $200 more than I paid for mine new. Put it on Fleabay, people will bid themselves crazy and you might get more than you expect.

12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
For what people are getting for used 1050's, perhaps you could sell one and just add a few hundred to what you get and buy a Super. I know that used 1050's are going for over $200 more than I paid for mine new. Put it on Fleabay, people will bid themselves crazy and you might get more than you expect.

I'll keep the RL's, I have one set up for small primers and one for large. I use my Rock Chucker for most of my rifle loading (I do load 5.56 on the RL), and do most of my handgun loading on the RL's.

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I've got one. I love it. Now I spend more time shooting than reloading.

MGD
01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Get the conversion and start getting some more use out of that machine. It's not that hard to change over. Last time I did it on a buddys machine I had a Dillon tech on the phone talk me through it. It was easy.

captcal
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
I just registered and saw this old thread posted about the Dillon RL & Super 1050 Loader. Like a few of the guys said here, they are a lot of money to sit and not be used as much as they were meant to be. All I have to say to that is "they sure are pretty to look at though". I was a commercial loader in North Jersey for about 12-13 yrs. (Recycled Ammo) until Jersey made it so difficult to operate that it wasn't worth the $2000 ins. annually it took to do business legally. I've got 2 Dillon RL-1050's sitting doing nothing. I load for myself and some family members and friends occasionally but it's not worth keeping 2 machines going. I've got about 9 tool heads for them so it's not as hard or a pain in the neck to change calibers on mine as some of the guys had mentioned. One is set up for lrg. and one sml. caliber. One's got about 1.5 million rds thru it and the other about 800,000 rds and good to another 10 millon or more, I don't know. They were built to last.They are both still set up but i'm really thinking seriously about getting rid of one. If anyone is interested please inquire, either here or at my email (captcal@verizon.net). They are great machines for production, i'll tell ya. With no hang ups or any problems at all, I could bang out about 12 to 13 hundred rds an hour. Averave production is in the neighbor hood of about 1000 rds. I've got a Hornady Projector for all my rifle loads. Along with over 100 sets of rifle dies I could do just about what ever any one wanted. If I didn't have it I'd purchase it to do the loads for them. Well.... enough of that stuff. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the 1050. They may be a little costly but they are well worth it in the long run.

LEONARDKL
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I have an orginal 1050 (about twenty years old). Can't seem to get the primer feeder to drop only one primer at a time. It keeps dumping four or five and then jams. I need someone who lives in Long Island New York to reset up my press. I will pay for the instruction and time. E-mail me @ Leonardkl1@aol.com. Thanks