PDA

View Full Version : "experienced" shot question

Juan Jose
01-23-2014, 01:58 AM
In the right place at the right time I got 60# of reclaimed shot from a trap range, mainly 8s and 7.5s.
So far I've only made ingots out of wheel weights but since lead WW are now verboten in my state I was thinking that maybe reclaimed shot might be a good alternative. I'd guess the big difference would be the tin component in WWs would be replaced by antimony for making shot hard---how would that work for casting bullets?

avogunner
01-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Your reclaimed shot will make great boolits. As you mention, tin is absent in shot alloy so you'll have to add it at some point. I scored a few hundred pounds of heavily oxidized shot from a long ago mined skeet field. It is a bear to smelt because of that oxidation mind you, but I'll add a pound of 63/37 solder into about 40 lbs of the melt to get about a 1-2% tin content. I do like this alloy and it's easy to get good boolits from it (crisp/good fillout) but it's still pretty hard, which is great for my Garand/03 shooting, but I would cut with some SOWW for a softer hunting boolit.
Good luck

zuke
01-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Just pile it high and deep. If you can't use it trade for stuff you can use.