PDA

View Full Version : Tl314-90swc fun

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM
I have done light loads for a while , but in the last few weeks the idea of a light rifle load for small game caught my attention

I was looking through the threads and thinking round ball , but saw Larry Gibson posting about how well the tl314-90swc worked , when i found one in stock , i had to click the add to cart button.

I had been shooting c309-170rf in my light target loads , but I liked the idea of nearly half the lead , you know wheel weights don't grow on trees and the buckets i do get seem to be more and more non lead

it got here yesterday , I cleaned it up and cast up a few today , gave them a run through the .311 sizer , and did a quick coat of liquid alox

as soon as they were dry I was itching to get a few in cases , with my seating die I could only get about 2/3 of it in the case my crimp is in the 2nd to the last micro band to the nose , but it chambered fine , I was going to run to the hardware store and see what I cold find maybe a few small washers to make it seat deeper but I got thinking , if it works , and it gets the driving band closer to the rifling why change it

I thought what to use for powder , well i didn't have to think very hard on what to use only how much to use I looked at the measure set up for 9mm and thought well it should be fine and started with 4.5gr of power pistol the same as i use in 9mm for the pistol why change a measure if you don't have to.

I loaded up 1 and tried it i have no idea how fast it is going but it hit right where I aimed so i loaded about a dozen and got to try them in a very limited test , but they look like they will be just fine for small game

77 to the pound is a very economical boolit , 1555 to the pound for powder i calculated my current cost at 5 cents now thats going to be some fun shooting

I will see if i can get a 25 and 50 yard target from the bench this weekend

these are shot from my 30-30 336 marlin 20 inch micro groove barrel with williams 5d receiver peep and globe front sight

barrel looks completely clean after shooting

Larry Gibson
01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
If you find some Bullseye you can use 2.7 gr with that 90 gr SWC bullet. That will run 800 - 900 fps and give excellent accuracy. That gives 2592 loads per the pound of Bullseye:awesome:

Larry Gibson

zuke
01-23-2014, 11:10 PM
5gr of 700X under just about any boolit I've tried.Even the 45-70!

sthwestvictoria
01-24-2014, 03:53 AM
In order to get the little TL314-90 SWC to seat I use a tip from larry or fiverun? Which is a short piece of rod, only about 7mm that you pop in between the top of the die and the part that seats the bullet:
That is the little bullet in my avatar. Even though it is seated to the case mouth it will feed in a Win 1894 and Marlin 336.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-24-2014, 10:38 AM
when I took it apart looking to put some washers or something behind the part that seats the bullet i found one end of that rod concave the end had been pushing the boolits nose , flipping that around so that the flat end pushes on the flat of the SWC worked fine , and I played with seating length yesterday trying just a touch longer first, because I am working on the idea that closer to the rifling is better with less jump, I didn't have to go out very far and the lever gave some resistance to finish closing , I backed off just enough that i no longer had any resistance and found a OAL of 2.364" was back far enough that there was no resistance closing the lever

I made up about 40 of these with hopes to get to the range soon and accuracy test them at 25 and 50 yards, temp is currently below zero and blowing it's going to be a cold trip , my basement range only allows 25 feet of distance and limited duration of shooting to a few rounds to function test

I use the power pistol because I have it , i stock only 2 powders at this time power pistol for all my pistol reloading and H4895
the power pistol works well in 9mm ,40 s&w , 45acp , and even 44mag for moderate loads , 4895 works for the M1 30-06 working with the lee 200gr boolit in that waiting for warmer weather or at least not loosing brass to the snow at the range , 223 under a 50 gr hornady varmint bullet and in the 30-30 for full hunting loads with cast boolits
that covers everything I load for at this time

the day after i ordered this mold I bought my son a 20ga shotgun one of those deals i couldn't walk away from so my budget is shot for a while

Jack Stanley
01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Your budget may be shot but if you stick to shooting those light bullets the budget will bounce back soon enough .

Jack

JWFilips
01-25-2014, 09:13 AM
GREENCOUNTYPETE .....Please keep us posted on your progress. Light loads in a 30-30 Win with a 336 is going to be my new project. Just slowly getting my stuff together as money allows. I like your combination & when the advise comes from Larry, you got to know it is going to work!
What type of sizer are you using on the cases ( collet type?) & what size expander are you using on the case necks?

TXGunNut
01-25-2014, 04:23 PM
I use that boolit in my 32-20 Colt DA revolver, lots of fun there as well.

EMC45
01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Shot some of these out of 2 Smith .32 S&W-Ls yesterday over 3gr. Unique. Good bullet. Cuts a nice clean hole in the paper.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
.311 lee push through sizer

I only have the standard lee sizing die for 308 projectiles , but i use the lee universal case expander to open up the mouth to get them in they seem to push in well enough

i have the .311 rod for the sizing die in my cart at midway for my next order but this seems to be working