PDA

View Full Version : Hey Alaskans

btroj
01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Would you guys please keep your weather under control. Once again your cold is in my yard and I don't appreciate it.

Keep this up and I will be forced to deliver a large box of hot and humid to you next summer.

BNE
01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Concur. It is going to get into the 20s (F) here tonight. We southerners thought that side of the thermometer was just for looks.
Rumors are floating around that we might see some of that white stuff.

klausg
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Anyway we can refuse delivery?[smilie=1:

-Klaus

Sweetpea
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
HMMMM...

It's been unseasonably warm here of late...

58 degrees today :grin:

uncle joe
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
somebody signed for it, it was 18 here this morning and supposed to be 13 in the morning.

btroj
01-22-2014, 10:19 PM
The 20 below, or worse, windchills are growing old. Very old. 5 degrees with a 30 mph wind sucks. It literally sucks the wind out of you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Is Al Gore in the house ?

btroj
01-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Nope. He did blow by a few hours ago. Then again so did much of the northwest.....

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm worried about the water pipes in my kitchen freezing. I don't live north enough for this to normally be a concern. We're not supposed to be above freezing for a week. And the idiots that built the kitchen addition decided to build it on grade. I have no doubt they would freeze if I didn't have the hot water recirculation loop running full time. It's one that back feeds down the cold line. They're buried under a tile floor, which of course goes under the cabinets, and I have no desire to tear the floor up to fix broken pipes.

bhn22
01-23-2014, 12:13 AM
The darn Alaskans left the freezer door open again! The resulting cold wave, drawn east by the low pressure (high suction really) of Washington DC has wrought havoc on the midwest.

bubba15301
01-23-2014, 12:23 AM
its cold in the north east to - 12 last night

Love Life
01-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Nice and warm here today. I shouldn't sweat so much after a 5 miler in January. Must be the polar vortex. Run for your lives!!!!

AkMike
01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
It's in the 40's here and the town's a skating rink! Hardly normal for here this time of the year.
I haven't even gotten the sleds out to gas them up and it might not happen!

rexherring
01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
-21 tonight here in ND

MaryB
01-23-2014, 01:30 AM
-10 and -41 windchill right now... that is on the warm end of MN on the prairie...

wlc
01-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Its been nice to be able to go out with just a fleece jacket on, BUT I'll take my snow and colder temps back. Its like a big skating rink around here. Everything is melting and the ground is still froze so all that water is standing in the low spots. NASTY. Once winter gets here in late Oct I like for it to stay below freezing till spring time rolls around. Makes things much easier.

Its all California's fault though. They've been holding on to this big ole high pressure system that's messing with the jet stream. Pushing warm weather up to us and letting all that cold fall down from the North pole onto ya'll.

captaint
01-23-2014, 07:00 AM
I work at a school. A big school. 2000 kids. Yesterday I had to send people outside to do snow removal. I truly felt bad. I think the high was about 12 degrees and the wind was doing about 15.
Just completely nasty. Good thing I have good people. We got it done. Spent an unusual amount of time inside, though. This AM it was 6 on the way in. Heating the house is getting expensive. mike

crappie-hunter
01-23-2014, 07:28 AM
South Central Pa. I just looked it's -1

Pb2au
01-23-2014, 08:04 AM
-7 this morning here in SW Ohio. Getting pretty darn windy out there today. My daily driver/beater car is a 1998 VW Jetta, diesel. I love the mileage, but it does not get warm in this kind of weather.
Yeah, keep it up Alaska and I will send a truck load of SW Ohio 90% humidity and 90+ degrees your way via a box car.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2014, 10:59 AM
As I type this, it is -7 with a wind chill of -26. I'm retired now and used to work outside year around. I don't miss those days and feel sorry for the guys who have to.

AlaskanGuy
01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
A balmy 42f here. Expected high of 48 freaking degrees today.... It would be damm nice if it wasnt for the wind.... But doing wonder for my hobby of picking up perfectly good jacketed bullets from the melting snow banks....

Something you folks down there dont realize... Alaska is a very friendly state. We love to share and help folks out.... This includes sharing our weather....lol. :drinks:

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2014, 12:22 PM
It was 5+ in Atlanta Ga one night last week.

Lots and lots of FROZEN water pipes.

starmac
01-23-2014, 05:40 PM
It appears you guys down south are already getting even. lol

Kasilof man finds snake in backyard

Col4570
01-24-2014, 03:35 AM
A neat trick by the Russians,to sell it during the Summer.They send us some Icy blasts from the North East.Just lately they have been kind to us.

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2014, 07:08 AM
thats kind of chilly pal. around here we put the grills away when it gets below 5. Might even wear a jacket if a guy is going to be out in it more then a half an hour. ;)
The 20 below, or worse, windchills are growing old. Very old. 5 degrees with a 30 mph wind sucks. It literally sucks the wind out of you.

Pb2au
01-24-2014, 08:20 AM
-8 this morning. The Red Menace (my trust jetta) was complaining a bit when I woke it up...........It growled and resisted a bit, but still started on the first hit. The glowplugs cycled for a loooooong time before the indicator dropped off.
My dog Frank looked at me like I was out of my mind when I told him to go outside.
We are getting a heat wave today, +12!!! Then it is going to snow again tonight and tomorrow. Which is good because I am going to a firearms auction and hopefully it will weed some people out of the bidding.

btroj
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
thats kind of chilly pal. around here we put the grills away when it gets below 5. Might even wear a jacket if a guy is going to be out in it more then a half an hour. ;)

Been windy enough lately that the grill blew into Kansas.

At least your have snow, we are mighty dry here. Gonna be a bad spring for farmers if we don't get more snow soon.

Bad Water Bill
01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
This year you better be careful what you wish for.

One near by town had 20" of lake effect white stuff dumped on it in 3 hours.

I 80/94 has been SHUT DOWN at the Michigan City exit since yesterday afternoon. 20 semis and many cars involved. 3 dead and 23 hospitalized.

MtGun44
01-24-2014, 12:24 PM
I'll keep an eye out for your grill. :-)

Bill

btroj
01-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I'll keep an eye out for your grill. :-)

Bill

Do that, if it hasn't already gone by watch for it Sunday afternoon into Monday. I'd really like my propane tank back.....

AlaskanGuy
01-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Lol @Btroj....

We have 41f here this morning, with expected high of 50.... But the wind is just howling at about 60 mph i figure.... Almost 0 snow on the ground.. Except in shady places.... Most of the ice is gone.... Snowpac is melting... The lake nearby is full to the brim and overflowing the weir from all the early runoff.... This will surely effect our runoff this spring.... The warmup is pretty normal for our part of alaska, but never lasts this long... This has been going on for weeks here.... Even fairbanks is above freezing... Not normal... Turning into cordova weather with the ice up there.... Makes it real hard to get around... But it can be done...

I should mention, conditions here are what most alaskans prepare for, but we just dont have the traffic that the lower 48 guys have... Most of the time, it is just you against the ice... But if we added a million cars, it would be a mess..... So i do feel bad for the lower 48 folks...

AG

btroj
01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Ok, yesterday it was around zero to start the day with windchills around 25 below. Today we will approach 50 degrees with a light breeze. Sunday will start around 40 and plummet to around zero. Monday we get the 25 below windchills back.

In 5 days we go from 25 below windchills to almost 50 and back to 25 below windchills.

Face it, you dang Alaskans need to decide of the freezer door is gonna be open of closed. Stop playing games with us, we are getting tired of playing games deciding what to wear!

TXGunNut
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
11 this morning on my car thermometer. Folks in Houston crashed Al Gore's internet trying to figure out what to call the frozen precip they woke up to today.

starmac
01-24-2014, 11:25 PM
It was above 40 degrees this morning before daylight. A total skating rink every where you go. one of my friends turned around at 28 mile yesterday and brought his load back to town, things has to be downright scary to do that.

It is so hot the internet even went down, just came back up a little while ago.