PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt, Ruger , Freedom Arms, and TC only Rounds

gregs60193
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
I am new to reloading; I have been reloading 9mm and 45 ACP for about a year. I have spent many hours reading this forum and other forums. Thank you for all the good information.

I just got a deal on a new 454 Raging Bull ($570). I am generally a Ruger man but could not pass up this deal.

First question
Will a 454 Casull be safe to shoot the 45 Colt loads listed for Ruger, Freedom Arms & TC ONLY?

Second question
I wish to shoot lead to save money. $20 for 50 Mag hollow points is a little steep. I do not cast my own bullets at least for now. I see CPG lead load information but their prices are almost as bad. I have had good luck with Missouri Bullets that are rated at 18 Brinell hardness in 9mm.

How fast can one safely push these non-gas check bullets?
300 Grain TCFP Brinell 18
255 Grain SWC Brinell 18

I see loads all over the place for the 300 Grain Bullets. I have been reading a lot of different posts and I am confused. There is less room for error on high pressure loads so I am willing to ask what may be dumb questions.

Thanks
Greg

Zymurgy50
01-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes the 454 will handle ruger only loads, the 454 operates at much higher pressures. As to how fast can you push the above slugs, your gun is the only one that can tell you that..... However I can say that 300gn at 1300fps is a fairly stout load, if you can get that velocity from a 357 with BHN18 slugs then you should be able to get that with the same hardness in a 454.

Bohica793
01-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I currently drive 255 grain 10-12 BHN lead at 1250fps from a 7.5" Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk with good accuracy and no leading. To me, 18 BHN is almost too hard and you will need to make sure that they are size properly for the bore of your particular weapon. Have you slugged your bore?

44man
01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
You just can't get a .45 Colt to come near the pressures of the .454 unless you like Bullseye! Any .454 revolver is very strong. Since 296 and H110 are the best powders for velocity, you just can't get enough in the case of a .45 Colt to come near a .454. I shoot 300, 335 and 347 gr boolits from a .45 Colt Vaquero at a little over 1160 fps, can go more but lose accuracy.
I have not found a single revolver that needs a GC, even shot PB from the .500 S&W and full power .454's. I shoot PB from the .475 and .500 JRH. I have taken PB to 1800 fps in my BFR 45-70 revolver. The alloy takes care of a GC. You can shoot softer lead with a GC. I shoot water dropped WW metal at 20 to 22 BHN for PB but 18 will work fine.
Yes, I am a hard boolit man with fit to the gun. Throw "bump up" where the sun don't shine.

ebner glocken
01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
1. Yes
2. As fast as you can.

Start out @ around 1100 and start working up until lead appears. If the bullet fits the bore correctly you may be going 1500 w/o any leading appearing. If it fits the bore poorly you may get leading at your starting load. If the barrel is rough it may not take much velocity before it appears. If it smooth it won't. Lots of Xs and Ys. Without knowing any of them we can't tell you what Z is going to be, it's just going to be a guess. Start testing, rinse and repeat.

Ebner

osteodoc08
01-23-2014, 02:06 PM
As mentioned, yes 45 Colt +P is safe in the bull. The problem you will likely run into lead spitting into the porting built into the barrel. This is the reason I never bought one. I had the opportunity to buy one in 41 mag and wish I would have got it because it was a 41 mag, but for me, the Bull is a jacketed bullet only proposition since I'm a little OCD on cleaning and the lead in the compensator holes would annoy me. I shoot mostly cast boolits in all my revolvers and lever guns.

gregs60193
01-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you everyone for your input!!
It is good to know that cast bullets can be used at reasonable speeds in a 454. Leading seems to be the limiting factor. I have not yet slugged the barrel.

When looking for loads does it make a major difference on pressures the type of lead bullet used if they are the same weight? RNFP vs SWC

454PB
01-24-2014, 12:01 AM
I shoot nothing but cast in my .454 Raging Bull. Yes, you will get some lube and lead build up in the ports, but it is easy to remove.

The "type of lead bullet" has an effect on pressure, but due more to bearing surface and seating depth than profile.

Leading is not a problem if proper boolits are used. You are stepping into a new learning curve, I suggest you do a lot of research here.