PDA

View Full Version : How would you mix this?

David O
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
If all you had was coww & linotype how would you mix to achieve the proper hardness for .38/357, .45acp, .223 & .30cal? Also would you water drop them to achieve this? Seems like the more I read about hardness the more confused I get.
Thanks Guys.

sqlbullet
01-22-2014, 10:26 PM
You don't say how much of each you have.

I run straight isotope lead, which is basically the same as COWW in all those calibers. I water drop from the mold, size .001-.002" over bore and lube with either LLA or Felix.

Hardness means very little UNLESS you have a problem that is hardness related. The reason you get confused is because everyone has an opinion about hardness. Opinions are like butts....Everyone has one and most of them really stink.

If you want to use your Linotype the best bet would be either: Use it 2 parts COWW: 1 part Lino to make hardball alloy; Or use the COWW for your pistol calibers and the lino for rifle; Or, use the COWW for manual load actions (revolver, bolt) and the lino for semi-auto actions. There are completely valid reasons for all three of these actions.

Best use of the linotype if you have a fair amount....Offer it here for trade for SOWW or pure lead or tin or whatever floats your boat.

But the best advice I can give you is to follow Indiana Jones advice. Get in the field. Cast up some boolits and go shoot them, then read and ask questions if you have a specific problem with them.

pworley1
01-22-2014, 10:56 PM
The way you intend to use you bullets would make a big difference in how to mix them.

runfiverun
01-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I'd approach the 223 round a bit differently by mixing the ww's 3 to 1 with the lino.
I'd water drop straight ww's for the 30 cal.
and just air cool ww alloy for the handguns.

David O
01-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much guys.....you have eliminated the confusion!
David

Preston
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
All I've done so far is read, but from all that I seem to find, most say WW's are good for the .45's cast as is. Now if that ain't so then I need to slow down my reading and see if I read thing wrong. Or my understanding is on par for an old fart.

runfiverun
01-25-2014, 03:09 AM
ww alloy is fine for the 45's you could even cut them with soft lead and get by as long as you have the correct diameter.
I routinely mix stick on ww's with clip on ww's at a ratio of 1 to 3 because I get 3 times as many clip on's as stick on's.