PDA

View Full Version : first AR build ? tools

LUCKYDAWG13
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
i just picked up a RRA A2 complete upper Receiver - barrel i will be looking for a barrel as soon as money allows
but i know i will need a few tools so what will i need. theres a gun show in a few days by me thought i would look
there when i go i dont plan to make a lot of ARs so need to do on the cheap if i can
oh if you have some tools you dont need im looking
thanks

Butler Ford
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-multi-tool-prod5557.aspx is what it looks like but I have this one: http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1556.html and it is the best combination tool I've found, it is my favorite of the ones I have, it's also the one used in the armorers course I took. Receiver vice blocks, torque wrench and a set of punches. I've found that a set of roll pin starter punches make life MUCH easier.

BF

LUCKYDAWG13
01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
i need to make a list for all the tools i need
thank you for the links

Butler Ford
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Try these, I think you'll like them: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

BF

pretzelxx
01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
You don't really need a torque wrench, I've yet to use one and I've changed out 30+ barrels on m4/m16 and test fired a few myself. Just make sure the gas tube (assuming you don't go piston) lines up perfect. I've seen people shatter brand new tubes not really paying attention. Also, a punch set from 1/16 on up, a small hammer and a screw driver (no stubby) is pretty much all you need

pretzelxx
01-22-2014, 10:13 PM
You don't really need a torque wrench, I've yet to use one and I've changed out 30+ barrels on m4/m16 and test fired a few myself. Just make sure the gas tube (assuming you don't go piston) lines up perfect. I've seen people shatter brand new tubes not really paying attention. Also, a punch set from 1/16 on up, a small hammer and a screw driver (no stubby) is pretty much all you need

And yuck, don't get the old m16 style buttstock, grab an adjustable. Just use the 1/8 punch and very gently tap the lock ring onto the receiver extension to lock it tight. Optional to stake it down to the plate so it won't come loose. Only seen one of them come loose after over 1000 rifles inspected.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-22-2014, 10:24 PM
it may be a few weeks till i pick up a barrel. but i will look for some of the tools i need at gun show this weekend
thanks for all the tips and links

oh one more thing the upper is made by Rock river will i need to use one of their barrels or can i
use someone else's barrel like R-guns or ?

Butler Ford
01-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Should be able to use anyone's AR barrel

bhn22
01-23-2014, 12:20 AM
An armorers action block can be a godsend too, and well worth the money. These are the delrin clamshell blocks that hold the upper receiver in the vise while you attach the barrel. Don't forget a good moly grease for the barrel nut threads too.

pretzelxx
01-23-2014, 12:31 AM
It will save your life, seriously. Not having a block will enrage you, rage raises blood pressure, leading to a heart attack and it can kill. Spend the 35 or so from brownells hard polymer and you'll never regret it.

Jupiter7
01-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Torque wrench not necessary but recommended. Harbor freight for $20 minus 20% coupon. $30 armorers wrench. Upper receiver vice block, $20-ish. This is all that is really needed to change a barrel. Some anti seize grease, I use lithium grease. For the lower, punches and screwdrivers. The other end of the armorers wrench for castle nut. You can stake it with a screwdriver if desired. Not rocket science and a lot of the specialty tools are way overpriced. I've done more with less.

drhall762
01-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Absolute minimum: vise and blocks for the upper, barrel nut wrench. Everything esle you can improvise. Watch for launching detents and srings though if you go minimum.

markinalpine
01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Here's Part 1 of an 8 part series about assembling an AR15. The author is a gunsmith, writes often for Brownells, and does seem to buy all the special tools Brownells offers, but he does write clearly and with humor, and gives good advice.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/519.htm

Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom